Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 $151

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #2  

Today is the first day of our spring term -- lots of new names to memorize in my 2 classes. I do have an outfit I like to start the term off. That's always nice. Have a great day, everyone!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I had my official weigh-in at the doctor's office this morning. Down 3 pounds for a month. I'll choose to be happy and not frustrated by it. We talked about my exercise and calorie intake. She didn't want me to go any lower than the 1500 a day.

We had a horrific dog fight last night. They had all been out playing all day together. Once again, something happened, and they jumped on Ruby. Fortunately, we were there or else Ruby would have died. It was horrible. I went out to try to break it up. The sound of Ruby screaming for help was more than I could handle...so I screamed louder. I couldn't get them off of her. The main two fighting her was Daisy and Danni. In the beginning it was all of them but when I beat them off, they quit except for those two. DH finally shot off a pistol several times which broke their attention and Ruby took off for the house. She headed straight for her crate. We took her to the vet last night. She has one bad wound in her armpit but its all puncture wounds. I am going to let her stay there for a couple of days to recover mentally.

Daisy and I have some serious domination issues to resolve. I've seen Daisy dominate her sister but its not been like that. I don't know if Daisy attacked first but she was gonna finish. I can't have that. She either learns a new way or else she will have to be removed from the pack.

Thankfully, the kennel is done and we have two areas outside where they can be put during the day. When Ruby comes home from the vet, she will have the house and back yard to herself.

I have multiple wounds to my hands and arms. Mainly because I was not going to let them kill her. I could hear her giving up. I think most of the bite marks to me came from her. One finger may be broken from the first knuckle to the tip; but its more than likely just bruised from trying to grab collars and holding on. The doc took a look at everything and would have x-rayed my finger if their machine wasn't on the fritz.

Gosh, that was the end to my Easter. Hope you all had better days than that!

to all!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

OK the lurker has to jump in here.

Terri: Geez Louise don't ever, ever try to separate fighting dogs with your hands unless you can make a quick sure grab for the base of a tail and swing, hopefully, the agressor (sp?) into the air and away from the loser. Then you still have the problem of keeping them apart after the initial separation.

Things you can use if they are handy:

1. The very best suggestion: A blast of water from a hose, or even a bucket of water if it's handy. this works really well with mulitple dogs as well as just two.

2. A slip lead, kind of like a noose. Drop it over the agressor and turn and
run. Don't reach down and try to touch the agressor just drag it to a fenced in area, bathroom, somewhere that you can shut a door and keep the dogs separated. You can get a slip lead just about anywhere. A lot of vets have them behind the reception desk to loan to clients who "forget to bring their dog on a leash".

3. Vinegar in a spray bottle sometimes works and won't injure their eyes.

4. A good sturdy yard broom and a blanket. Toss the blankt over both and try to separate them using the broom NOT your hands. This works best for smaller dogs.

5. Your husband had the right idea with noise but get an air horn rather than the pistol. Blast the airhorn right at them. Then get the slip lead on the agressor. See # 2.

There are times when one female will decide she hates another and they can never be together again unsupervised. We had two girls that were best friends for years and years. One day they got into a fight and there was never a time after that, that they could be together. One was determined to kill the other. They both continued to get along w/every other dog in the kennel but they had to be exercised at different times to avoid mayhem.

You take care of yourself and Ruby. Oh ..... Congrats on that 3lb. loss!!!

Judy aka J-ann
Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Terri - I agree with Judy, she gave some good points. You're lucky that you have only minor injuries. I have to take both cats to the vets at the same time as if they go separately they fight/attack when the one comes home. I wouldn't step between two cats, let alone two dogs. I've used the water (on a smaller scale) to break up the cats. And 3 pounds down is much better than gaining.

Judy - welcome if I missed you slipping in. I've been absent lately for a number of reasons, but it's nice to see another poster.

Heather - hope that first day back to class was good. I know as a student I was always hoping that it didn't include homework!

To everyone else

I'm busy, but I don't seem to know what I'm doing. I'm not studying as much as I should, but seem to have no free time. I did some transplanting over the weekend, but there's still too much snow to consider doing any work outside. I am lurking around, but trying to spend more time on non-computer related things for a bit (ie. not just sitting at the machine). No matter though, I will be back.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #6  

I knew that would get Judy out of hiding.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #7  

Judy,

Thank you for your post. Seriously, I knew that it was bad to reach into a dog fight; but they were killing Ruby. I had no time to get anything. I had a hose in the back yard but the young ones chewed it to pieces. The air horn was no where to be found. Trust DH to have his pistol in his walker. But your tips are right on and we'll make sure we have stuff handy.

Its great to see you. Hope you're doing well and drop back in again.

Miss you!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 03-24-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #8  

omg Terri, how scary! I get scared enough when our pugs go at it, and they've never actually hurt each other. Sounds awful, though. I hope Ruby's ok!

Last night after yoga I got increasingly tired and simply collapsed in bed around 9 -- much earlier than I had planned. I thought I was well rested, too!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #9  

OMG Terri! That's just awful! to poor Ruby and to yourself as well! I'm so glad you weren't seriously hurt! You know, I have little dogs. I can't even imagine getting between big dogs like you have! My Mac is developing a food aggression problem with Suzie. I don't know where it's coming from either. They've been together since birth and we've always fed them side by side with no problems. For the past few weeks though, when he's finished with his food he'll literally attack Suz - even if she's done too and just standing there! It's not like she even has any food to take, stupid dog. We've had to pull him off her a time or two, but luckily it's never been serious. We've told Dustin to always grab Mac by the hind legs and pull him backwards. (No tails for us to grab.) But we've got to figure out how to nip that in the bud. I hope all works out for Ruby and Daisy too. Daisy is a rottie, right? And Ruby a hound?

Oh! And I'd take your 3 lb loss over my something-lb gain. I don't WI "officially" until Friday, but as of yesterday I was up about 5 lbs.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #10  

Terri how awful. Poor Ruby and poor you. I know how you feel though, if I had beloved pets in such a mess I'd have to wade in too. You were very lucky you weren't seriously hurt. I had a friend once who saved her dog from a vicious fight, but had major trauma to her hand that lasted for months. You may well have to keep Ruby apart from the other dogs for a long time. Once they have found a "victim" they may not accept her back into the pack. I hope things are better now. Would a fire extinguisher hurt them if it was set off?

In my never ending saga of things - I now have a new car to replace the one that broke down on me. So I now have a new computer AND a new Toyota Rav 4 to pay for. I'll lose weight because I can't afford to buy food!
Spring is here! Camp is two months away and I'm driving a new car!
Terri, take care of yourself - dog bites are nothing to mess with!
Heather, have a great spring term.
Bearcub
Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #11  

Lilion -

Actually, Daisy is 11 month old hound and Danni is the three year old rottie. Daisy was the most vicious in the attack but yet its Daisy who has been closes to me. It will be a long time before I trust Daisy and Danni to have time with Ruby. There is going to be a clear shuffle of power in the pack. Mamma hound (me) is not happy with them and Mamma Hound is not sending Ruby away because of them. I am going to do some studying up on dressing down a dominant dog that is getting too dominant.

On top all that, I've had some very upsetting things happen at work. I can take constructive criticism because I generally know where I need improvement before I'm told. But I don't like being blindsided with a "fair" review which cut my bonus pay considerably and no raise for the year when there has been no feedback. And it is not substantiated with concrete support. This one is a prize example of how to destroy someone's morale and confidence.

to all!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Terri - the perfect answer - Take Daisy and Danni in to visit your boss, and instruct them to work all their frustrations and aggressions out, and don't let them out of his office till the screaming stops. Problems solved.

But seriously, I'm so sorry about poor sweet Ruby! I keep Simon kenneled when I'm not home because sometimes their play gets too rough and Mama needs to be there to squash it. But my boys don't get as rough as what you're dealing with. Thank goodness you were there! Years ago I got between 2 danes. The nerve damage in my left hands took years to heal, and there's still a good scar.

I can't believe how bad some supervisors are, that pull the rug out from under you like that. Makes you wish you could give some input on THEIR bonuses. I'm sorry that whole situation has been so difficult, you've given you're to keep things running in the transition, and then this.

On the bright side, spring is trying to get here, and you have wonderful horses to ride! I hope those floods are far from you and that you're pastures will soon be covered with new grass.

Easter weekend was a total bust food-wise. Too much feasting, too many donuts, too many excuses, calories, deserts and destruction. It lasted thru last night. Today I begin again... and by 10 a.m. the department next to my office was trying to ply me with more birthday cakes. I declined... or rather, instead of argue or explain, I said 'Oh yes, wonderful, thank you', but I never went and had any. I'm even having Equal in my coffee instead of sugar. Sugar in my coffee is usually the one (or The First) cheat I allow myself when I try to go back OP.

Heather - I hope you're getting on top of the new semester and getting some sleep.
Lilion - My father is dying to teach you how to throw pots... as long as you don't make a pass at him. (Yes-there in lies a tale)

Everyone - I hope you're doing great!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #13  

Terri, sorry to hear about your problem at work. I don't understand why supervisors (principals, bosses, etc.) can't be honest and forthright and understand that being helpful and encouraging will not only provide the right kind of feedback to ensure good work, but also ensure loyalty and the willingness to go the extra mile. I see it all the time at school - principals who somehow think that criticizing constantly is the way to improve a teacher's performance. If the teacher did that to a student he/she would be really slammed, but they think nothing of doing it to "highly qualified" professionals who are trying their best to do a difficult job. I think it's the same in most jobs. One of the benefits of retirement is I can tell them to go....well you get the point. Actually, I usually found a way to convey my "displeasure" even when I was full time employed. LOL I'd usually do all the little jobs no one else wanted to do, then when someone was not nice to me, i just stopped doing those jobs, and they didn't get done. It was pretty effective. The little jobs were never anything I was required to do, just the things I volunteered for to help out. So when I didn't volunteer, and no one else did of course, it was noticed. But I also had principals I would do anything for because they never asked a teacher to do anything they wouldn't do themselves and they always treated teachers with respect. So it's always a mixed bag. I hope your situation gets better.
Have a better end of the week!
Bearcub
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #14  

Hello all, this is going to be short. I didn't want to let you think I was MIA.

Had a bad flare up and am not feeling so wonderful right now. These things can put me down for days.

Take care, until later, Ruth
Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #15  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

RUTH - I hope you're feeling better soon. Thanks for dropping by!

Doing a quick one myself. Quarter End is upon us, so I have no lack of work!
I'm dealing with some horrific cravings right now, but that's what I get for caving in to them all weekend.
The weather was GORGOUS last night and I SO wanted to ride, but Wednesday is my turn to clean stalls. Tonight the rain is back, but I hear it's supposed to be a nice weekend. I'm getting the itch to go out on trail rides and to shows, so I need to spend some time in the saddle! I'm still sore from the lesson Monday night, which tells me I REALLY need to work at it more.

Back to the taxes...
Closed Thread