Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #1  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #148

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #2  
Anne

Good morning all,

TOM is over (what a pain) and I'm down 5 lbs even this week. I've actually decided to focus more on the weekly average instead of the specific number on a Monday. Since with cycles, there's at least one bad weigh-in per month. So, the average loss since Dec is 2.48 lbs per week.

Ruth - I'm really sorry to hear about your leg. I think sometimes I forget that I still weigh over 300lbs. I worked out hard on Saturday afternoon (hey Sunday is a rest day), but this morning I have a bit of an ache in my left leg. Kind of knee, shin, ankle - nothing specific. Certainly not as bad as you sound. It reminds me though, as strong as I feel some days, that I have to be careful. I've put decades of strain on my joints, especially since when I was over 400lbs I did a job that involved a lot of standing and walking. It's important to take care of any injuries so they don't get worse. If you don't have one, how about getting a heating pad? I know that sometimes they take a potential pain and ease it away.

So, I will exercise today, but I will take it easy and judge how I'm feeling between the different sets. I had to do that one day back in Feb. I took an unplanned rest day so I didn't get any worse.

Hope everyone else is doing well this week. We were supposed to be warm and raining, but we're actually mild and the sun is trying hard to poke through (9.1C / 48.4F). It's a nice day, although I know it's likely back to freezing tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #3  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

My goodness this thread has been slow lately. Has anyone heard from Terri at all? Seriously, I'm getting concerned. It's not normal for her to miss a week! Valerie is MIA too!

Bearcub: So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Even at an advanced age, losing someone is always hard. As for the lap band, I'm sure someone on the other 300+ thread has done that. Can't remember who. And I know Terri was heading that way, last she wrote.

Anne: Since I do WW I don't actually count my calories, per se. I count my points. And I know I've had my bad food days in the last month, but the good ones certainly outweighed the bad. It just seems I should have lost something in the last two months, instead of just popping up and down the same 4. It's quite disheartening. But then I do something like Saturday where we had a big pizza dinner and I say "OH! That's why I'm not losing. "

Ruth: Is your leg swollen at all? If it is, see the doctor IMMEDIATELY. I had a blood clot in my thigh in my 20's and the darn thing felt exactly like a pulled muscle. Hope you get better quick!

Heather:

I had a really busy weekend and feel like someone beat me! Saturday was okay, I did some shopping and had lunch with a friend, then did some laundry, etc. Sunday I was going to go to the office, but it occured to me that I had exactly 7 days to get us ready for our week in "medieval" Mississippi and DH is going to be NO help, as he has his 10 page paper and final exam to do for his college class, which total HALF his grade - and he hadn't even started the paper! It's due Wed. and the Final is due Sat. - the day we're leaving. So I fininshed all the laundry, worked on medieval garb, packed a huge tote with everything we own in garb - as it can be 80 or 30, raining or baking, in Mississippi this time of year and we just don't know what it will be like, washed the old bedding and repacked it, and tried to get some housework done. That still all needs done though - and my in-laws are house/dog/child-sitting for us. The house MUST be cleaned before my MIL sees it! (She's the nicest lady in the world, but you just don't want your MIL to see a dirty house.) Anyway, I feel like I ran up and down the stairs of my house 100 times yesterday!

At least the weather was nice. It was 78* yesterday! Of course, today it's all of 36 and dropping and they're calling for SNOW!!! Weird Missouri weather! Mississippi can't be any worse!

I suppose I should get to work! So TTFN ladies!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I'm sorta here. I have been taking a break from all my routine the last several days. Work has been so overwhelming the last two weeks, that I just had to shut down other stuff.

We had our consultation for the lapband surgery. They are filing with the insurance to see if they will pay or not. According to the center, we both are within the range of qualifying. However, its up to the healthcare. I think we are both still on the fence about doing it. Both of us see it as a tool; not as the easy way out because it doesn't look easy.

In the meantime, we're continuing to make changes. I actually joined the fitness center in our small town. It opened up over the winter and I finally decided to check it out. For $33 a month, I can justify the cost. Very nice little facility and not crowded at all. I tried the elliptical and it made the muscles just above my knees scream.

I was watching Big Medicine before bed last night, and one of the doctor's said something that really caught my attention. He said the people that are successful are those that are willing to change their lives and use surgery/diet/exercise as a tool and those that aren't successful are those that think surgery/diet/exercise will change their lives. I really liked how he said that. And I'm ready to change my life.

Take care all!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #5  

Smile Hello!

Good morning ladies, How are you this morning?

Terri, thank goodness you are ok. I am so glad that you checked in. I was getting worried when I saw that you still weren't posting after I had been MIA myself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Lilion, no my leg isn't really swollem, except for my knee. I felt the pull or tear when it happened so I was pretty sure that was it. It is better but I am still walking v e r y carefully. LOL! I probably walk like a stick person. That was the most miserable thing I have had in a while.

Anne, thank you for caring! It sounds as if you have some nerve issues? I have those often. I call them shooting pains. LOL! It moves around.

Hi Heather, Bearcub, val and all you lurkers. Drop in and say howdy sometimes.

the cleaning woman is coming today and she will earn her pay this time. She always says it doesn't look like it needs anything, so this will be a test for her. LOL! I haven't been able to do anything for days!

I think I will go and see if I can find another cup of coffee now. It is almost the time of year that I look forward to having my coffee outside on the patio or open breezeway. Now wouldn't you know that the nice yellow pollen has already started to coat everything? Look out allergy! I ddin't get to enoy it last spring and I don't guess I will this spring either. Phooey!

Take care all, Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 03-04-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Hi all!

Week 10 of a 10 week term... not as bad as it could be, but I'm feeling the burn.

Terri -- Glad you're okay, and it sounds like you're getting the mindset down!

everyone!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #7  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

Thought I'd pop in before the first hearing starts.

Terri! Very good to see you! We were all getting concerned. I hope it makes you happy to know we miss you when you are gone. We all need some down time. Regarding the elliptical, you really need to stretch out before you get on one. If I forget, even after getting used to doing it, it kills my legs. I do a "lunge" type stretch, then straighten the front leg and lean down to it, trying to reach for the foot, and I also do the type of stretch where you grab your ankle behind you while standing. Stretching out the front of the thigh really helps.

Ruth, I'll take the pollen! We have snow again! Sunday I was running around in capris and a t-shirt and today it's 28 and snowing. I'm hoping it's nice in Mississippi next week - but I'm taking wool blankets just the same. This time of year, there's just no telling.

Heather, Anne, Bearcub, and Valerie - who's MIA - as well as those lurking

Last night was more of the same for me - packing for Gulf Wars. I'm trying to get everything we take camping in two big totes, leaving the back of the SUV for things like furniture and armor and coolers and such. You gotta love medieval camping...Other people go camping with backpacks and pup-tents. We go camping with 18'x15', 12-foot-tall, pavilions that require 12 wooden poles, carpets for the floor, collapsable wooden queen-sized beds, tables and chairs, firepits and clothing suitable to appear before the King. It's almost more of a chore packing than it's worth. But, when camping a week at a time, once you are unpacked and all comfy in what amounts to a canvas vacation home, you really appreciate it.

Apparently, all that packing has a nice side-effect. Whether it's running up and down my stairs or something else, three days of really not paying a lot of attention to my food and I'm back down 3 lbs. Of course, they are the same 3 I was down a couple weeks ago...but I'm not being picky. I just hope for a change, when I get to March 30 the darn loss still shows!

Gotta run ladies! Have a wonderful day.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #8  
Anne

Well, we're back to sub-zero weather again today. Silly me didn't fill up the wood bins we have inside while the weather was mild. I spent some time outside this afternoon chipping snow and ice away from the wood pile and then filled up the inside bins. We've really used more wood this year than we usually do. I really want to make a point to use it up (or close), since this year we had to get the wood delivered and stack it up while it was snowing.

It's also official now, I've been accepted into all three colleges (5 programs) that I applied to. Now I have to decide which one to take. I suspect it will be mechanical engineering at the closest of the three, but I want to take a little time comparing the programs/classes. I should also go sign up with a temp service to see if I can get some paying work in the meantime. It's kind of scary since I know I won't be able to keep up the exercise (as much) and I don't think I'm fit enough to try for a production job. So I'll end up with a desk job (which I really don't want to do). I guess it's the time to look at the financial situation and see what I can get away with.

Ruth - I think my biggest problem is that I don't seem to understand my physical limitations. I found that last winter when we were away. We would have a day where we would explore whatever port we were in. It would involve leaving the ship about 8 or 9am, walking around all day, sometimes only sitting down for lunch and/or dinner. Sometimes we took buses or taxis, but still spent a lot of time on our feet. We would get back in the evening (8 or 9), climb many flights of stairs, usually with packages, often bringing dinner with us. I would take my shoes off and once I sat down I could sometimes barely stand after that. I just seem to forget when I'm pushing myself that I weigh what I do. I'm pretty sure that's where the pain comes from. Anyway, I do hope it's a little better today.

Lilion - I don't think I've been camping since I was 12 or so. I admit that I'm a bit of a comfort person. The only camping I've ever considered was an African Safari (think lots of staff). I think it's great what you're doing. Although it sounds like you're working hard, it does sound like you'll have fun while you're away.

Heather - do you at least get a break before the next term starts?

Terri - I'm envious of the gym. I'm thinking maybe in the fall I'll look into some of the ones around me. A couple of them claim to have student rates, so I'm going to try and take advantage of that.

Anyone else who's lurking out there - hello!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #9  

Anne -- Congrats on getting into all the programs!!!!

As for me, we have exam week next week and then a 1 week break before the next term. I will spend it planning for the spring term and catching up on some things that have slipped, so it's really not a week off at all. I am usually completely bushed by the time spring term ends.

Lilion -- Have fun camping! And you've reminded me that exercise is about more than gym time!

Last edited by Heather; 03-05-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #10  

Smile Hello!

Good morning ladies, How are you this morning? I do believe I am getting a little better every day, thank goodness. It is such a perplexing problem when you can't find a way to stand or sit without being in extreme pain! WOW! That should probably be sit or stand ??? No fun at all!

I was really happy that we didn't get any extreme weather yesterday. The line of storms, showers etc. moved through with no problems for this part of the country. We are always thankful for the rain, but I can do without the fireworks.

The cleaning lady came and cleaned up my untouched house. LOL! I left her more work than she has ever had to do for me, and she came through like a champ. She is not perfect but she does those dreaded bathrooms. I don't know why I hate that job so much, that and emptying the dishwasher, those two things are on my hate to do list. Along with dusting, vacuuming, ironing, mopping, laundry and all types of cleaning in gereral. LOL!

Today we are having talapia and roasted veggies for lunch (dinner). How about you? What is on your menus? It can get to be a pain to try to plan meals. I like putting all the veggies on one pan and roasting them, easy breezy! I would make coleslaw but I forgot to send for the cabbage for it. Drat!

Have I bored you all long enough? I think so. Take care, Ruth
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #11  
Anne

Hello all,

Well, I got my new book today... The New Rules of Lifting for Women... and wasted way too much time reading it. Diet-wise I will take some things out of it (try to up my protein levels daily), but not truly change my eating patterns (since at the moment they work). Part of it is because I'm somewhat there already (ie. taking protein after the workout, but I'll move a fruit from somewhere else). I know I'll probably still end up always struggling to keep the carbs down, however, I will try and cut out some where I can. (ie. I could switch the baked pita chips for some almonds) I doubt in the end I'll cut out the carbs from fruits and veggies much so I'll see what I can do about the others. I may even try to add a few calories on the three days I do their workouts.

I will do my best to adjust to the equipment I have at home for the moment. (Dumbbells up to 16lbs ea, stability ball which I'm stealing from my mother, still working on something usable as a step - may eventually buy one) Once I'm sure I'm going to keep with it I'll bite the bullet and perhaps invest in a few more items.

It's unlikely I'll stop the treadmill workouts, although so far I get the impression that the author is not a fan. Gee, that chapter "Step Away From the Treadmill" is a clue. Seriously though, I'm really using it more to build my endurance. So I'll do a little in the mornings and on my off days. I'm not sure what I'll do with the DVDs for the moment. I'm somewhat tempted to put them aside and focus on the workouts in the book. We'll see how that goes.

Other than that, it hasn't been a bad day weather-wise. We had ice and snow overnight, but it had generally stopped by mid-morning. We're actually just above freezing now so we're getting a little melting as well now.

Heather - Thanks. I think it's just nice knowing that I got in. As a mature student you're never quite sure how the usual rules will apply. It's nice to know that I have a choice, although really it's only between two. The other applications were just in case. You can apply for 5 at one time (for the same fee). It doesn't sound like you're getting much of a break. Do you get a long break after the spring term?

Ruth -
I hate dusting/cleaning etc. I don't mind laundry, and I like to cook. I hate to admit that my mother does most of the cleaning (not all, but most). When I was working I made enough that I offered to pay someone to do it, but she kept saying no. She's one of those people who actually like to clean.... ick. As to what's on the menu today...

Breakfast - 12-grain bread with homemade 6-fruit jam*, clementines
Lunch - Beef Barley Mushroom Soup, smoked back bacon, apple, fruit salad
Snack - Protein shake
Dinner - Lasagne, broccoli/butter, salad/dressing
Snack - Protein shake, apple, fruit salad w/biscotti, pita chips
Drinks - water only, 1x500ml with Crystal Light

* this is the jam I usually end up making with all of the fruit that ends up kicking around in the freezer. This was made last fall before we left on our trip. I think this one included boysenberries, raspberries, plums, cranberries, gooseberries (which were really old), and rhubarb. It's a shame really because it's really quite good, but I don't have a clue what's in it.

I do a lot of prepare/freeze cooking. I think I always have, just now I watch the calories in what I'm preparing. The freezer has about 16 different options in it at the moment. Some I'll make again when I'm out, some I won't. They are a combination of already prepared items (like the lasagne) and raw meats just divided up enough to make dinners for two people, plus a couple of sauces also divided up for cooking a few dishes. I'm not sure I should admit this, but if we bought nothing else we could last until May 13th on what's in the freezer. (Yikes) And if that wasn't bad enough, there are enough lunch time soups (singles, my mother doesn't take them) until May 15th.

I think next week when I change the food around I'll move some of the snacks earlier or change the breakfast around. Some days I struggle to eat what I've picked (2000-2100) and so I end up eating a fair bit after dinner. This isn't a perfect arrangement, but since it was usually my worst snacking time it's kept me from taking unplanned food. It's just that sometimes I feel like I'm eating because I should, not that I want it. I'm not going to change much this week, but I'll spend some time planning a new strategy for next week.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #12  

Anne -- I've heard good things about that book. Sounds like you're building a plan!

I do get more of a break during the summer, but will still work a lot! I do have a vacation planned for the summer! But most professors don't get summers off, despite what people think!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #13  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hey all...

Heather, I don't know whether I envy you or not. We're on semesters... this is spring break next week, but it feels like we should be DONE! Everyone is sick of everyone else. On the other hand, coming back for another 10 week term sounds more depressing than finishing off this semester... so I don't know, maybe I prefer it.

I'll be busy here over spring break--I'm on the University Personnel Committee, and most of our work happens next week (all the decisions are due the Weds. after break). I'm also on my department's graduate studies committee, and we need to review applications for graduate assistantships during next week.

Mostly things continue to be way too hectic. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing either, and I'm well aware that I'm not really doing anything to make losing happen.

I was thinking yesterday that I wish I could hire someone to take my place and keep the treadmill moving for a week. Then maybe I could do some planning and such. Anyone have any ideas on how to manage planning when you feel like you're a perpetual motion machine?

Ruth, So sorry to hear about your leg.... here's hoping it's not too much longer until you're recovered.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #14  
Anne

Heather - I sold travel years ago, and the other negative thing is that you're often off during school breaks (what a surprise) and that means you pay more for your vacations. I have friends who teach at the grade school / high school level. They usually do have the summer off (although one teaches summer school and does some tutoring). I thought about teaching many years ago, but decided I did not have the patience to do it. I have a lot of respect for those who do.

Vortex - glad to see you're still around. I wish you luck on getting some planning done. The only thing I can think to say is that taking that time (if you can squeeze it in) will be well worth it. <--- this is you likely coming after me!

My day has been good. I really was in the mood for ice cream and was truly going to look for a low cal option. It turned out that Häagen-Dazs has some slightly smaller ice cream bars that come in at about 200 calories, so I broke down and bought a package of four. I really wanted to look at the Skinny Cow ones, but decided I'd rather have 4 premium bars instead. Fewer ingredient as well, so I'm feeling okay about the purchase. I did stick to one and put the other three out in the freezer in the garage.

Other than that, there just isn't much going on here today. I should at least check that the chicken curry for dinner is thawed, so that's it for me! Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #15  

Hello! ~ and Goodby!

I'm off work as early as possible today and then final prep for our trip. We'll be leaving early tomorrow for Mississippi for Gulf Wars! I'm really looking forward to a week away, sucking up the middle ages!

So...I hope everyone does well while I am away and I'll miss seeing what everyone is up to!

Ruth- I hope you are feeling better sweetie!

Gotta run! Ton's to do!
Closed Thread