Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Default WHat were your thoughts after you lost?

I was wondering... Whether you lost 10ls..20lbs..100lbs or got your your goal weight, what were your thoughts when you started and finished?

here is why I am asking. i sit at work all day..get home at 630 eat a usually big old meal ( I know working on it) and them I am so exhausted to exercise...so....
When I am at work I sit and "dream" what I am gonna think when I loose that first 20lbs..instead of actually doing it!!

So when you first really really noticed that you were loosing what were your thoughts?
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Cyn -

I've only really started to notice anything more then minor changes in the mirror just recently (after about 40ish lbs) The biggest change though so far I think has come with my increased fitness level and when I switched from walking to doing DVDs. I would have never felt this good at this high of a weight at other times in my life. Its been a huge confidence booster.

Initially my thoughts raged with doubt and I wasn't sure I'd ever climb out of this mess, but even though I still have a ways to go my thoughts now are is VERY doable it just takes dedication and patience and most importantly of all you can't stop. Sometimes it takes multiple failures to learn enough to reach success, and I'm done playing games.

I know being tired after work is hard, but once you get past the initial weeks where exercise is its hardest and most uncomfortable it's so worth it. The you won't have to daydream about losing it because you will be doing it!

Last edited by Idealmuse; 09-28-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

Cyn - It's tough, tough, tough to start. You have all of the bad things associated with making major life changes, and the good things seem so far off. Having said that, though, you will feel SO GREAT after you start making the changes that you need to make. Right now, I'm dropping sizes, wearing clothes that I had boxed away for years and starting to fit into "goal clothes" I bought months ago. My family really respects what I'm doing, and really encourages it, though I'm not getting a lot of weight loss compliments as yet. I do remember being where you are, though, and reading about other people's successes, and wondering how long I would have to wait before that was me. That part WILL come - it's just a way off for you right now. It took me many months to get here.

So - while I think it's good to daydream about those far-off rewards and know they're coming, I know that I really needed to focus on the "right now" rewards for the first several months. You mention that you're exhausted. I know, for me, that big ol' meal would work on me just that way. I felt so heavy and bloated that I had a hard time forcing myself to do anything. On the other hand, when I chose lighter, more nutritious foods with fewer calories, I immediately felt really light and had more energy - even at my highest weight. And the exercise! What a great new world that is. I loved taking that time for myself walking and listening to music away from everyone else. It was such a reward in itself, and then, of course, I didn't feel like eating the heavy stuff when I got back.

So, I will make a suggestion if I may. Try planning one week of meals and exercise. It doesn't have to be extreme - I wouldn't suggest starting at 1200 calories a day paired with 3 hours of cardio daily. Just find some nutritious foods that you enjoy and build meals and snacks from them, following whatever food plan you choose. Clean out all of the junk food from your house - give unopened stuff to a food pantry to make yourself feel even better. Find an exercise that you enjoy and that will make you feel great and resolve to do it three or four times that first week. Then, take it one day at a time, one choice at a time, and bare-knuckle it through that first week. After that, compare how you feel with how you felt before. I know that for me, that was enough to get me hooked on this lifestyle. (Not hooked enough I don't screw up, but hooked enough to get me back here when I do.)

Sorry for the ramble and for invading your forum. I am taking a quick break from a project that I'm working on, and there aren't a whole lot of 3 a.m. posters. Idealmuse just happened to bring this one up to the top...
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

What can I say? I'm a night Owl. (Almost a dawn owl!)

What Laurie says rings really true with me as well. It's that sorta envy thing where you look at other peoples stats and wonder how you're ever going to get there, but to get there you have to make the decision to just start. It doesn't matter if you just start small. All those small things add up and once you start seeing how the small things help it will encourage you to move on whole heartedly.

Looking at small goals really does help. Seriously look at my weight. Would you ever think someone over 250 would say that they felt fit? I still have over 100lbs to lose sure I'd like it gone yesterday, but I wouldn't trade back my progress for anything!

Even if you just start out working on the more smaller meals thing it's a beginning!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #5  

I am a poor example of what to think after losing lots of weight. All I can think of is the remainder that I have to go. I'm not belittling my accomplishments, but I'm afraid of becoming complacent.

Someone in another thread said that once you get off the path, it's hard to find it again. My head is down and focused on the path. I'm so afraid of losing it. I also read on the maintenance thread and other places that enthusiasm will only take you so far in your weight loss journey, then it needs to be replaced by focused determination. I'm even afraid of losing that!! I come to 3FC cuz I get a shot in the a$$ when I even think about throwing in the towel. I love these Peeps here!!

Luv,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #6  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

Quote:
I am a poor example of what to think after losing lots of weight. All I can think of is the remainder that I have to go.
I am the same way. I have so far lost 66 lbs. The most that I have ever lost, when I tried to do it. I have always been one of those that waits for the other shoe to drop, however, reading through some of the replies here, it got me thinking about what I planned to accomplish. As follows:

424: To get out of the 400s.
400: To lose another 10lbs. before I went in for WLS.
394 (Day of surgery weight): I was happy that i had lost 6 of the 10 I wanted to lose, but a little dissapointed that I didn't make it to 390.

Now it seems that for every decade (10lbs.) loss I have, I look forward to the next decade to be gone from my body.

Story

Last edited by TheStorySoFar; 09-28-2007 at 09:53 PM.
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default My beginner thoughts

I've only lost 18 pounds so far. Today I was walking around thinking that I feel a little better all ready. I don't feel all swollen like I did before. It seems to feel easier to move. My jeans even felt a little looser today. I may be imagining it all but it still feels good. I am really going to love to see how it feels to be 20 lbs lighter. Then 30. Then 40.......... I can't even remember what it feels like to be 150 lbs.
Supersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

When I started? I can't do this and if I do lose, I'll gain it all back

Now? The power to do this rests with me. I am the one responsible and I choose not to be fat any longer.

There's so much to say, but I thought I'd start there

Last edited by Heather; 09-28-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #9  

I agree with what Ratkitten and Heather said. Focus is the only thing that'll carry you through and it's all about being responsible for the choices one makes. I am getting close to the 40 pound mark. It has taken this long to get down a pants size and for some people to notice - some people still haven't and there was a loooong plateau in there. It was easy to think - ah what the heck all of this work isn't worth it, but it takes determination and sticking to a plan for the long haul to get past those moments. It also takes being responsible and HONEST with myself about the days where I didn't eat on plan and how that plays into the speed of things.

For me, being honest with myself has been a significant difference in what I am doing this time as opposed to previous weight loss efforts. I think it's key for my long-term success.

Don't know if that answers your question!!!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Yall are great!! REALLY!!!! My thoughts are...I am one of those people that "think" instead of "doing" I hate it. I did walk last night for 10 minutes but..like I said before by the time I get home..eat..its late. Look there I go agian with the excuses lol I must stop. I am a morning person. Maybe I should try doing something in the morning???? I am up at 6am no matter what just who I am. I have kids to get ready for school..well they are older.
azcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

I have to agree with some other posts... when I first started I used to look at peoples stats on here (and indeed still do) and think wow... how did they do that/I wish I could be there etc. Starting and getting through that initial bit to make it more of a habit is probably the worst part. I went away last week and actually came back home craving some healthy food!

For me, personally, fear has always played (and will probably continue to do so) a big part in weight loss. When I see a new low I fear that the scale is just teasing me and tomorrow it won't show again, every time I weigh myself I'm scared to death it's suddenly going to show me as ten, twenty (or god forbid even the ninety) pounds heavier - I know that's not physically possible and that the calories in vs calories out makes it so but fear is a tricky little thing!

I'm more accepting of the fear though - it helps me through the week when I'm umming and aahhing over whether to have that biscuit or not - and it's what makes me weigh daily (I feel more on the ball doing that) and it's what will continue to make me weigh daily (maybe/probably for the rest of my life) because I know that as soon as I loosen the reins it could all go horribly wrong and the effort of doing this and of being singled out because I don't want to eat junk or just lay in bed in the mornings like everyone else, when I'm running down a dark street and I think 'why me' (because I ate the food dummy) is not worth just wasting to regain it all again. It's simply not an option.
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #12  

Oh Cyn, I am one of those over-analyzers too! I can think something to death. Too bad fat is immune to that! I can't even calculate the amount of money I spent on books (and yes, read them all).

This site has been so instrumental in my journey. Several books gave me motivation and enthusiasm to start, but those feelings are fleeting (as with all feelings) and these people here helped me continue by replacing those feelings with determination. There are some great discussions on the maintainers forum about determination.

One of the things that bothered me about my extensive research in weight loss success over the long term is that most of the people had some epiphany. I was worried I would lose my "determination" because of a lack of an "a-ha" moment. Thinking (there's that word again) about it, I've had a million 'a-ha moments"! Those would be when I saw a photo of myself (despite avoiding the camera like the plague) or when I got stuck in a chair, or when a mirade of other embarrassing moments hit me upside the brain. My list could go on and on.

My hope is that you can find the determination here that I have!! Keep coming back.

Hugs and Luv,
Ratkitten

Last edited by Ratkitten; 09-30-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Ratkitten -- I had lots of epiphanies along the way. They didn't last.

I also had an epiphany two years ago that did help me get started, but in and of itself, it wouldn't have been enough. I needed an epiphany, a bunch of determination and commitment, and a wee bit of "butt-kicking" to get myself going in the first place...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote