Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ and Gettin' Fit after 40 #125

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

We start new threads on a Monday.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #2  

Morning ladies,

Wow, can you believe that this is the last week of September? The weeks are just flying by. I'm up really early since I was having a weird dream, woke up and have not been able to go back to sleep.

I'm off for the next three days. However, I did bring work home with me and I think I'll go work on it since I can't sleep.

Yesterday was a good day. Okay, maybe not the garlic bread and the cherry pie but otherwise it was good. I cleaned hosue and feel so much better when its vacuumed, dusted, and not a general disaster. And it didn't take all the long either. Although I do see that the girl doggies just shredded a paper towel they go from somewhere so I get to revacuum.

I had a good riding session with Spanky. Since I got the same kind of bit that he was trained with, he and I have been doing so much better. And I have been working on my confidence too since I talked with Kyle, the trainer. My mantra is now get on with confidence. It really is true with anything and I have been learning that from watching Joel Osteen too. Everything we do we should be doing with the expectations of positive results. If we expect the worst, then we'll be concentrating on that to happen. I even had time to watch a couple of horse shows that I've had on the DVR for quite some time. And I learned a few things that I am going to try with Phoenix today.

Dinner was good. As typical, they were here all of two hours. But it was a good visit. DH made a really good meal and I didn't help with any of that.

I'm not sure what's on today's agenda. Kind of depends on the weather. I want to work more on cleaning the barn and getting it reogranized (again); work with the horses, and work on paperwork. Hopefully a nap this afternoon.

Valerie - I've had those front row seats to the Lippazzaners before and they are spectacular. And I so want to be able to ride with such grace and effortless looking skill. I told DH that for my "prize" for getting to my goal of 178, I want to take Spanky to a Craig Cameron riding clinic. I haven't heard from Calvin which really me off. I watched The Horse Show that featured Crag Maier long-linin his Freisian horse. Absolutely gorgeous and looks like its good exercise.

Luja - I hear ya on the maid, personal trainer, chef and dog pooper scooper. I had to do the scooper thing on Saturday. I really want someone to kick my butt everyday about working out. We don't have a Trader Joe's in the area but we have a Whole Foods. Really cool but its mostly organic foods. They have an awesome olive bar and their cheeses are overwhelming.

I guess I better go get busy on the work stuff or else I'll be doing it later.

Its Monday, its officially fall, and its time to get more pounds off before the holiday's hit.

Last edited by Terri in MO; 09-24-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #3  

Smile Hi!

Oh boy, new thread! Hi Terri, I see you are still online and probably typing your post. How is it going this morning? I woke up feeling blah!

I thought In would dash in here and say good morning. Things are going as well with eating as they ever will probalby! For the most part I am op. Had a little slip yesterday, but I am not going to worry about that. Today is a new day and here I go! Back to coumting those calories.

Time to try to get myself moving. Have a wonderful day everyone. Ta, Ruth
Old 09-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Morning all! Life is getting ever busier as the term heats up. I'm starting to see not enough hours in the day and it's only the 3rd week of a 10 week term.

The scale is also creeping up a bit. I wasn't really bad last weekend, but not great and not great the weekend before. Choices really DO have consequences as my sig says. I need to buckle down and get the eating in check a bit and exercise with a little more -- gusto -- if I want the scale to move in the other direction... This really is an endless game, ladies, this scale watching and food limiting (though for me it goes in cycles). Let's hope we like the game, because we'll be at it for a while... Luckily, success has perks or I'd have given up...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #5  

Good Morning Ladies! Still here and still working at it. I'm actually on day 4 OP and quite proud of that. Haven't made it two days in a row lately! It was a busy, yet strangely uneventful weekend. Except for my DS and DH, who went to see professional "wrestling" this weekend! DS had such a good time. They sat right next to the aisle where the wrestlers walked in and a couple gave DS a high-five. You'd think seeing big, sweaty men wouldn't be the highlight of his life, huh? He was beat this monring, since they didn't get to bed before midnight and mean old mom still made him get up and go to school!

I better run. Much to do and little time to do it!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #6  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

LUJA wrote:
Quote:
I sure would like a maid!!! And a chef and a personal trainer and a dog poop scooper-upper
- Sounds like you need a wife! Gabe will be coming home Oct 20-21st. I'm dying to know how he's doing. Still haven't heard anything.

TERRI - What kind of bit are you using on Spanky??? Inquiring minds want to know! * Yeah, that long lining is great... well, unless you are so lazy that you have the horse do circles or so many serpentines that you don't have to keep up. Gabe steps out so quickly on those long legs of his, it has to be hysterical watching me chug along behind trying to keep up - especially if he trots!

Hi RUTH! Glad to hear you're staying pretty well OP. Keep up the good work!

HEATHER, Just keep on ridin' the semester like the bronc it is! You're the calorie cowgirl, and you won't let a few bucking books or barn-sour students ruin your ride! Stay in that saddle, my friend!!

Ah, LILION, testosterone flying everywhere. Why do boys love that silliness so? Actually, I went a couple times when I was young (dragged by the guy I was dating at the time) but it was kinda fun... in a you've-got-to-be-kidding and this-would-be-better-if-I-was-fulla-beer kinda way. I'm glad your DS had a good time and even got some recognition from the super-studs. I'm even more glad that you just had a good day four. Have a great day five tomorrow!!!

Today was the first day at the new job. Went great. I like it already. I'm on track and doing well. I even pre-packed meals - chicken with veggies, yams, peas, spinach, broccolli & carrots sprinkled with cheese - and I have jello with manderin oranges, diced peaches or SF rice pudding to go with it. I also bought some single packaged prunes, a bag of fresh orchard apples and some cheese sticks, so I have no reason not to behave. Besides, between the diet doc, the chiropractor & the horse trainer, I'm penniless right now. No way I can afford to splurge on lunches at work. PLUS, they have about a hundred miles of hallways to walk, so lunch hours will be productive! Thank goodness I had the foresight to wear flats instead of heels to work today - or just the tour would have killed me! Tomorrow I'll take sneakers so I can do it right.

Not much else. I'm proud of how well I did today. So much so that I'm inspired to do it again tomorrow! But like I said - I don't have much choice.

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 09-24-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #7  

Evening All -

Val you are right - I DO need a wife. Glad you like your new job so far! And you really planned ahead for food!!

Lilion - Four days on plan is great! Boys sure like the testosterone thing. Sounds like they didn't make you go with them. Hope you enjoyed your testosterone-free evening.

Heather - If only the consequences for a little fun weren't quite so unpleasant.

Ruth - yeah for being mostly on plan. What do they say 90/10 - no one's perfect!

Terri - I shouldn't whine about the poop scooping when I think of ALL that you must have to do!! Horses sounds like kids and hubbies - you need to let them know who is boss

Hi to every one else.

A co-worker who is only in his 50s had a heart stent collapse over the weekend and had to have the stent replaced - actually they stick the new stent in the old stent. I am also working with a new client who had a massive stroke at 52 related to high blood pressure. Now she can't talk and will always need to use a wheelchair for mobility. Pretty scary. It's a couple of up close and personal example of why sticking with this eating healthier and exercising is so important. It could be me!

That said, I had my second day in a row of eating OP. I have a DR. appt in a week and a half and I would like to show her a week's worth of OP food choices! I also walked for an hour today. I don't think I'll make my exercise goal this month - but I'll come close and I can honestly say that I exercise an hour at least 4 days a week.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #8  

Good Morning Ladies!

Finished day four OP. I'm pretty pleased. I certainly need to be getting in more fruits and veggies and water, but the food points are staying down. And I'm nearly out of almonds, thank God! I have a real weakness for almonds - I could eat my weight in them and at 4 pts an ounce, not too great for the old torso!

Valerie, I actually have been to a professional wrestling match, 20 years ago or so, also on a date. I remember being less than impressed. It just looks so much faker in person...and that's saying a LOT! Have a ever mentioned my DH used to be a "professional" wrestler? He was in a little amature league 15 years ago - before my time. It's SO funny, no one who knows him would EVER expect him to do something so theatrical. But my son thinks it's SO cool!

Luja, keep up the OP and exercise! WTG! So sad to see people not substantially older than us in such dire health conditions, but it sure gives you motivation. And yes, I enjoyed my testosterone free evening!

Ruth, I love seeing you pop in! Pop in more!!!

to Heather and Terri and everyone else! Got to run!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #9  

Hi ladies,

I had a post started this morning but lost it due to internet problem. Aggravating.

It rained this morning which we really needed. I'm working inside today. Been scanning paperwork and getting the office area organized. At least I'm still working in my office and not back all over the dining room table. That seems to be never ending. I also started throwing things out of the closet that need to either be thrown away, off to Goodwill or Ebay potential. I want to get a few thing today on Ebay. (Valerie - I will have horse tack!)

I've also been working on work stuff. I just had a call with my boss. I have to write a rebuttal letter to the department of insurance on our last financial exam. It has to be mailed this week. He said to me, if you're working on your day off, then maybe you shouldn't be off. I could have said a whole lot of things but they were not really nice. I did say that at least this way I can focus on the letter which I haven't been able to do since he keeps dumping other things on me (I did leave that part out). This is really great coming from the guy who was sitting in the airport answering emails on his blackberry on his way to vacation last week. That's why I get the bucks.

Yesterday, I did get some horse work in. I almost didn't because it was so incredibly windy and just weird because of the impending rain. I worked Phoenix in the round pen and that was good exercise for me. Does it count more as exercise the more you sweat and collect dirt?

I am supposed to have my weigh-in tomorrow at my doctor's office. I won't have lost anything. I'm debating not going but maybe I need to go and fess up to myself. While I've been working hard this month, it hasn't been the right kind of work that is going to get me losing faster. Hmm, what to do.

Valerie - That is terrific that you enjoyed your first day. So much better than thinking WTF have I done?? Looks like you've got a good start on being OP. No excuses now with all those hallways!! I bet you can't wait to see Gabe at the trainer. It was so exciting to see the boys for the first time. And terrifying when it was time for me to ride them.

Spanky was trained using a KK Sprenger Aurigan loose rein snaffle bit. I didn't have one and couldn't find one locally so I tried a sweet iron loose rein snaffle. He did not like it. I finally won the bid on a KK on Ebay and got it somewhat cheaper than brand new. We're having much better rides now. Although DH grouses about why they weren't trained using a curb bit because no one rides trail rides using snaffles and two hands. Yeah, okay, what about Chris Cox, John Lyons, Craig Cameron are ALL shown out on the trail in snaffles and two hands?? Old, male school logic is DH.

Phoenix did not like the bits much so he is using a D-ring rubber snaffle. He seems to like it much better. However, I am noticing that he is starting to show a little more independence and bullheadedness. I told DH that it is funny that I expected Spanky to be the one that I would have mental trouble riding and that Phoenix would be my dependable ride. Its turned out completely the opposite. Where Spanky used to challenge me, he is a mellow, good boy. Phoenix is so damned spooky and I don't think he's really listening to me when we're working now. I wonder if its his age - he's having growing pains at 3yo?? I need to work him more on the ground and get that respect going.

On the Ginger front, Calvin never called. I checked her last night. She was walking very well on the soft grassy areas but was more ouchy on the hard packed dirt area. She does not have shoes so understandable since her soles are more thin than normal. I finally decided to **** with everyone else and I was just going to learn about her feet and decide for myself. I tapped on both front feet with the hoof pick. There is only one small area where she sort of flinched - did not jerk away or show big pain - just a flinch. I gave her bute and put the boots back on with some iodine. This morning, I was pleased to see how quickly she moved out of the loafing shed to the feed trough. that she is finally getting past the abcesses and into less pain.

(Sorry to the non-horsey people for the book written)

Heather - You're supposed to be making the semester tough on your students not yourself! You've accomplished so much and are such an inspiration that this battle can be won. And you are a positive inspiration, and reality, that it is still going to be work when we are much closer to our goals. Hope that makes sense as a complement!

Ruth - Keep counting those calories. How long before your done with renovations?

Luja - Good job on the walking. Hope your friend is on the mend. Those are indeed scarey wake up calls about why we are pursuing a healthier lifestyle. You know, between horses, dogs and DH, it seems like all I do is shovel s***. Only a woman can handle all that.

I better post this before I lost it again. Its about time for a nap.

to all!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #10  

It was supposed to be fall but this week decided to heat up back up to almost 90 during the day! What happened to all those nice cool days we were having! We are so dry here and I'd like 2-3 days of steady rain. It looks like we'll only get a little.
If I get out early in the morning I can usually walk a little before it begins to heat up. On Tues. and Wed. I then go into the schools for mentoring and then come home. I've been carrying cut up apples or carrots for snacks to help stave off the hungries between meals and it seems to be working. Tonight I'm having fish again so that's good.
Terri, keep up the good work on the horse! I don't ride but lots of my friends do. right now they are having a diffcult time because the ground is soooo hard.
Have a good week!
Bearcub
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #11  

Morning gals,

I had a terrible nights sleep. Probably because of this stupid rebuttal I'm writing. Hanging around my neck like an albatross. I was up for three hours in the wee hours working on my own paperwork mountain. At least that is down to just a manageable size again. I got a couple hours of sleep before getting up to work on the letter again.

It is such a beautiful morning. I looked out the bedroom window and it felt so good to see the horses in my own pasture with the sun coming up and a lingering fog. Then I walked through to look out at the back yard and see the dogs all running and playing. It especially did my heart good to see Ruby chasing Duke and having such a good time.

I ended up not going to my weigh-in not because I didn't want to see the result (okay, maybe a little bit that) but mainly because I need to focus on this letter and be here for a phone call this morning. Besides, if I were going by myself, I would drive right up there and back but DH wanted to go so we could stop and have breakfast. With him along, it would add an hour to the trip. And we have to go into town for his appointment this afternoon. Another two hours lost.

Looks like it will be a good day to get out and work with the horses. I didn't get to yesterday. I also need to get back to walking dogs in the evenings.

Bearcub - We did not get nearly enough rain for how dry we've become down here. We had the 90's for a few days but its supposed to be much more fall like the next few. One of the things I learned recently is to have enough snack foods. It does help. Sounds like you're doing a good job working around the weather and with the food. Keep it up!

to all. I'm headed back to my work project for a while.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Sorry I've been slacing with my posting! Things are good. Job good. Gabe's trainer called and I'm going out next Tuesday. TERRI - Ebay is SO dangerous for me right now! I'll check it out tho - AFTER I have some time to get back here and post!

Have a great day everyone, and do something good for yourselves! (Meaning behave and try to stay OP>)
Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies,

Its up and early this morning as its finally my Monday morning. Time to go back to work; as if I ever really left.

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day. It was cool but the sunshine was amazing. After my terrible nights sleep, I had a horrible time staying awake but then I really couldn't go back to sleep either. I headed to work in the barn and ended up stretched out in the lounge chair totally chilling. That used to be one of my favorite things as a kid - stretch out in the grass and just enjoy the warm of the sun and listen. I haven't done that at all since moving here. It felt wonderful. I could hear the horses rustling around; birds singing, the wind gently blowing the flag, far off cars, and absolutely nothing. It was one of those "stop the world and get off" kind of times.

I did finally manage to get a nap in the afternoon. I had such a bad allergy type of headache.

I had another one of those bad foster mom experiences last night. I was trying to get Ruby out of the back yard to take her for a walk. It was my intention to take them all for walks but in shifts. She darted past me through the gate. She wouldn't come to me and then all of a sudden she took off down the driveway and made a right turn at the road as fast as she could go. There was nothing I could do but stand there and think 'oh ' I went in and got DH and we got on the four-wheeler to drive down the road looking for her. Nothing. We came home and there she was running around the outside of the backyard fence. She was soaking wet. Apparently she wanted to go for a swim in a neighbor's pond. And she was as happy as she could be. I did take her for a walk once I got her on the 30 ft lead that I use so she can run and act like a hound. We were in the field across the road. I caught my foot on something and did one of those flying thuds to the ground. My first thought was, who saw that? It just wasn't a good night for walking the dogs. Don't you think crashing on to the ground should count as exercise?

Speaking of that, I did manage to get up early and get 40 mintues of exercise done this morning. I changed to the spinner stationary bike and worked up a sweat after doing some yoga and stationary ball stretches. I told DH that it would be sweet if he'd go to chiropractic school so he could give me a back adjustment every night. Just crack out the kinks.

Valerie - How are the people on your new job? You'll have to take a picture of Gabe and post it. We want to see him!

Time for a shower and to get moving. I have a 9 am meeting and its not cool to be late for those.

to all! Have a great OP day!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 09-27-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Terri -- OW! Doggie running and then a fall?! Definitely exercise! The moment in the sun sounds divine. Something I bet we all need to do more often.

Valerie - I'd like to see Gabe too, and I'm allergic to horses!

Gotta run, chickies. Another in a string of long days... Good news is my eating hasn't gone haywire. My goal this term is to not gain any weight. I was 175 at the start. Come Thanksgiving, I want to see no higher than that number. I am hoping that fixing that goal will help when The Stress hits. The Stress often has ways around our best plans, though, doesn't it?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #15  

Default Beware - Ranting ahead!

Good Morning Ladies!

I'm working on my 7th day OP today! I can't remember the last time I ended a week with over 20 flex points left. I'm pretty pleased about that.

That's the end of the good news. The Ranting about non-weight loss related things begins here - read at your own risk and ignore me if you wish!

Work - is like always. I'm tired, really tired, of this job and the people running the show. I'm tired of them spending all their time and effort trying the "fix" things, when they don't have a clue what we actually DO. I'm tired of them asking for memo's about how long things take to do when they don't CARE about how long it takes and they don't listen to us and it just takes MORE time to write the memo's we could spend actually DOING the things they are asking us about. <taking a cleansing breath> Okay, moving on.

My friend - THE friend from the indentity theft matter who moved away - left me two voice mail messages on my office phone at 1 a.m. telling me she was living in her car and after she gets her disability check on the 3rd she's coming back to town and will be living with the "boyfriend" she left behind. I feel a little guilty, because I haven't really made any effort to sell her car and freezer, but she only left town three weeks ago today and there is the fact that she might have forged my name to a credit card application. I don't know how I feel. I don't really want her back. I'm ALMOST convinced she did do the credit card in which case she'll be prosecuted and I really didn't want to do it if I could help it but since she never contacted the company I had no choice. The police report was filed two days ago. I can't stop it now. Part of me says "She brought it on herself." and part of me is so used to bailing her out it's my first impulse.

I need a cigarette. Good thing I'm not quitting until October 1.

And my lifestyle ladder coach keeps asking what I do about stress - who do I talk to? Who do I talk to? A bunch of wonderful but still somewhat anonymous women on line. After all, the person I would have normally talked to is the person causing me the most stress. I'm so incredibly tired and I really just want to go home right now and cry myself to sleep.

But for a change, I'm too upset to want food. Hey, maybe there's a bright side after all!
Closed Thread