Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Default Question for the bicyclists

I have a bike that is about 10 or 11 years old. It was a decent bike at the time I bought it. I haven't ridden it in several years. I was probably 260 or so at the highest when I rode it in the past.

Do you think it will withstand my current weight?
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Road bike, mountain bike?

How many spokes does it have? Many times the frame is fine but the wheelset can be a problem if it has too few spokes. Fancy road bikes can have as few as 20 while other types of bikes can be up in the 30's. More is better when you're heavy.

You can also check the manufacturer's website. Many will list weight limitations. It can also fall under the warranty info. since some companies only warranty to a certain weight limit on certain bikes.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #3  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Also, it would be a good idea to take it to a bike shop and have it serviced. In the time that you haven't ridden it, where has it been stored? Outside? Inside? Does it look rusty? Does everything turn smoothly? Take it to a good bike shop and make sure it's safe.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Yeah I agree definately get the tires looked at I also think frame shouldn't be a problem although a road bike might be a little more delicate. I've riden when I was about 280-290 and didn't have too much trouble.

If the old one isn't good... You can get a starter bike fairly cheap though at Target/Walmart maybe 75 bucks? Those Dirt/Hybrids tend to be a bit heavy (but strong) and until you know your going to bike a lot it's better test the waters with. I started with one of those and moved up to a bike-shop clearance model.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #5  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

I was looking for this general information as well in the not too distant past, and I found this comment on the Schwinn site instructive:

"We do not set weight limits on any of our bike due to differences in the purpose that people have for the bike. A 14 year old that weighs 120 lbs could easily destroy one of our bikes if he abuses it by jumping it or similar unintended uses. However, a 400 lb rider could be perfectly content with the durability of a bike if he uses is solely recreationally and avoids impacts such as curbs and pot-holes. We can't specify a weight limit on a bike because failure is caused by impact, not static loads. A 1000 lb rider may buckle the frame of the bike when they sit on it, but aside from a static weight limit, any other number we specify would be arbitrary as it would depend solely on the type of use the bike experiences."
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Great info! Thank you.

The bike is a road bike. I dont know about spokes, etc. I will look when I get home. It's been stored indoors, and is in great shape in general except for the tires and the usual parts that need regular upkeep.

I think I will wait until I lose a little more weight, when it should be a little more comfortable for me to sit and peddle, and then take it to a shop to get serviced and tuned up. There is always walking, exercise DVDs and my stationary exercise bike until then. I miss bicycling, so maybe it will be a great reward for me to give myself in about 15-20 lbs.

Last edited by BattleAx; 08-27-2007 at 11:06 PM.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #7  

Battle,

I rode a regular road bike with the rams handle bars at my highest weight of 350. Standard wheels are just fine for supporting that weight or even higher. As far as comfort, I'd stay away from the Kmart/Target bikes. If it was decent when you got it, it's still decent. Take it to your local shop and have them lube it up and then make sure your seat is at the correct height and also that you have a seat that will support the wider pelvic bones of women. With the correct seat and seat height, you will have an enjoyable ride. Without the correct seat and position, your hands will be sore from trying to balance yourself on an uncomfortable seat and you'll feel like you are on a circus bike if your seat is too low. Your arms, back, neck and other body parts will thank you for taking a few minutes to address comfort on a seat. Avoid seats with excess padding. Contrary to belief, the more padding, the more you will bounce on the seat as you pedal... and the ouchier your tailend will be. You want to sit on your tailbones.. like sitting on a curb.

Don't be afraid to ride!!

Luv, always,
Ratkitten

PS.. This is the bike I ride now.. http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...ithcompsl.html

Note that the spoke count is 20/24 - there's no question that the bike can handle my weight now or my past high of 350 lbs. I *can* guarantee the hills are easier to go up at a lower weight!! hehe.
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #8  

Here's another question for you bikers.... I'd like to bike - but those seats are so darn uncomfy for my big old butt. What do you all do to make the riding tolerable?
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #9  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luja View Post
Here's another question for you bikers.... I'd like to bike - but those seats are so darn uncomfy for my big old butt. What do you all do to make the riding tolerable?

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself padded bike shorts. Padded bike shorts are fantastic and wonderful and TOTALLY worth the price!

Also, if you're going to be spending lots of time in the saddle, invest in a good saddle. Again, go to a bike shop. Get a woman's saddle. You'll be amazed at the difference. People have gone biking for a long time, and they've dealt with this issue, too.

And there's also something to be said for just spending time in the saddle and getting used to it. But you might as well make yourself as comfortable as possible, anyway.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 AM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luja
The more serious riders will laugh... but they do make wider seats with springs under them for us bigger folks. Its kinda dorky, but I rather be dorky and be more comfortable.

Last edited by Heather; 08-28-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #11  

Oh yeah.. Padded Shorts!!!

Terrybicycles.com has a plus section where you can buy great padded riding shorts to 4x. They also sell the BEST seats for women. This is a woman owned business that also make high end bicycles for the short torso's of women.

The wider seats (like on a stationary bike) aren't recommended because of the bouncing and they cause unstable bike handling. The women's seats sold by Terry have supported me at my highest weight. Their seats feature a cut-out in the center for that extra tissue that us big beautiful cyclists find ourselves with.

If your sit bone area is sore after the first day, that's normal. It'll go away in a couple more days of riding.

Also think about investing in some padded gloves. Your hands will thank you!

Luv,
Ratkitten
Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #12  

Thanks for the website and suggestions. I haven't ridden a bike in like 20 years. I wonder if it is true you never forget I am not sure I am ready to wear bike shorts. Maybe padded shorts with a skirtie thing.

Edit: OMG - I just looked at the prices of the bikes. It HAS been a long time!!!!

Last edited by luja; 08-28-2007 at 10:02 PM.
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #13  

Oh yeah.. Terry bicycles are priced WAY high. Trek, Bianchi and Giant make great bikes and a starter ones run about $300. This will be a bicycle that will last and not rust with age. And yeah... immabikegeek.. hehe. My Jamis Xenith was a major investment, but then, I ride lots. Even at my highest weight, I'd ride 50 miles a week.

Luv,
Rat
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 3"

Last time I rode a bike, years ago, I had DH pull out the old bike, & check it out for me. Off I go. Well, I'm pedaling and I am REALLY huffing & puffing. I bemoan how out of shape I am that biking is SO much harder.
Come to find out, I was riding on two flat tires ie only partially inflated. LOL. Moral of the story: bring the old bike to a bike shop to check it out. Have fun!!!!!
GingerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Check out Living XL (they have a catalog and website). They have two versions of an oversized bicycle seat that can hold 400 pounds. They come in either 2.5X or 6X the surface area of a regular bicycle seat so you can select a size that will support your hips, etc. It's also adjustable/inflatable and comes with an attachable pump so you can always adjust the pressure to your comfort as you lose weight. It says it fits most bicycles and exercise bikes. I'm ordering one for myself because my last bike ride required some major recovery time.

You could try to find a used bike at a bike shop, too. A lot of "serious" riders (read: not me) turn in their old bikes when they replace them and you can get a great deal.

Warning: I tried padded bike shorts under a pair of sweats so I wouldn't look ridiculous and it didn't work as well as I thought. The padding wasn't quite in the right spot and I'm sure I looked even more ridiculous trying to adjust my "cheeks" on the trail!

Happy riding!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote