Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 326/325/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Anybody Been to a Bally's??

Morning to you all! I was looking for a pool to use while I am out of town. I am down in Alameda/san francisco area. I had been swimming a few times a week and it helped my bad back and knee.

I read the reviews of the local 24 hour fitness' in the area and out of about 64 reviews they concluded they are dirty and crowded. Then I went to Bally's reviews and everyone said they are clean, but there were only 10 reviews there. I also only want to use the pool. I don't want to use the machines or anything.

This is going to take every single ounce of resolve I have to go through the doors. I think because of how big I am I don't want to get in the pool. I had been going to our little pool on the mountain and the only people there were regulars and most were senior citizens.

I guess I just wanted to know if anybody has done Bally's and liked it???

I did my WW WI today and I hope that stupid WW scale is right, it is an at home scale, but it says I lost 2 pounds, which is great because over the last three weeks, I've lost and gained the same 5 pounds... I am more focused now. I am going to do this!!!
goingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, it really depends where you are as to how good the Ballys is. I have a nationwide Ballys membership so I've been to quite a few. Unfortunately, my current closest Ballys just sucks. Its small but even at the most crowded times, I can find a machine.

You can get a 2 week trial membership at Ballys to try. Look at their website and just print the coupon out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #3  

Hi, thanks for letting me know! You know I plunged headlong into that Bally's thing. I printed the coupon out, and I went in there armed with my little coupon and the guy walked me all over, showed me the pool. The place was spotless. I asked to see the locker room, which at my gym at home, was nasty, so these were very clean. He told me they were not one of the busiest Bally's down here.

That made me happy of course, and I ended up JOINING. Part of me thinks I was out of my mind and the other part thinks I needed to do it. LOL But I also, bought the national one so I can transfer back to Oregon when I go home. Plus, the cancellation fee wasn't outrageous, so I felt comfortable doing it.

Now, I wasn't thrilled with the personal trainer they are making me meet. He was very insistent that I do it right then, or first thing tomorrow. I really don't want to deal with it, apparently though, they are making me. I scheduled for Wednesday morning so I can go swim tomorrow and maybe hunt him down and get it over with. He was more of a salesman than the guy signing me on and that turned me completely off, but luckily he was only with me a few minutes. LOL

Do you still go often? I am hoping this will really be something I like doing and maybe move from the pool to maybe wanting to do the machines more. I don't mind the machines back home, but it is a TINY gym at home and this one, had people in there. LOL but I am trying to suck it up and focus on what I need for ME and not worrying how I look.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 6

I was a member of Bally's for 6 months back in 2004. (I lost 53 pounds in that time) I loved it!!! The one I went to didn't have a pool though. The only reason I dont go there anymore is because I got married and moved. There isn't a bally's close to my new house. I think you made a good decision. And the monthly payment always kept me motivated! If I was going to pay for it, I was going to get my moneys worth! Good luck, I hope you like it!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #5  
Just Me

I actually don't go often anymore but it is more of a time/lifestyle issue for me now. I got married and life got hectic. DH and I decided to put together a home gym which is what I use mostly now. Once I graduate, DH and I will probably go to the gym for at least some activities. It is just a bit more convenient for me to exercise at home these days.

I'm surprised about the personal trainer thing, I guess they give you one free session? I'm sure they will try to sell you more but then again if you already don't like the person, good luck with selling more.

I will say I owe my first 75 lbs lost to Ballys. It is where I went exclusively for exercise
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I love my personal trainer, but definitely DON'T sign up with someone you aren't comfortable with (though it sounds like you're thinking that already).

Here our Bally's isn't that great, but I think they vary a lot. Once you get used to a place, it gets easier. I feel very comfortable at the gym now!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #7  

Well, I have been to Bally's for the second time and I have enjoyed it. I was supposed to meet with that personal trainer. Apparently, I have to meet with him to have him show me around and work out with me. I don't know if that is a new thing at Bally's, but I do know he has said twice to me, that I don't have to buy the plan we set up....

So, I know he is in it to sell me. I rescheduled him for Monday. I want to get used to the gym before being dragged around it. I really only want to use the pool. I am walking here, at the hotel, so I don't want to use their stuff. I have weights in the room I am lifting...not like I should, but I still have them here when I want them.

I am glad to hear everybody has mostly had positive experiences there.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #8  

Well, I went to Bally's this morning and had a little chat with the personal trainer that has been hounding me all week. I finally told him I didn't want to work out with him because I am there just for the pool. I don't see myself on the machines. I told him if I change my mind I will come and get him. He was okay with it, except he tried convincing me that I can only lose weight with a trainer. He said you cannot do the same workout more than a week. I'd have to pay him for every week he planned my routine. Yeah, right. I've done this long enough now, I could train him. He should never assume the out of shape are clueless. LOL

I know he is just trying to make money, but it turned me off to really going to get him, but overall, I am happy I didn't have to work out with him. From the pool, I saw a guy who was probably 300 plus pounds, like myself. They had him crawling on all fours in the classroom before she gave him the exercise ball to workout with. I don't think my knees would've taken that.

I was happy for him that he was with a trainer. It is great if that is what you want. Oh, the funny thing was, when I told the trainer I had already been in the pool over an hour and fifteen minutes, he said, well, that will get the weight off of you really quick, so maybe you don't need the machines. That made me feel pretty good. I had swam off and easy 30-40 pounds last winter, but put it all back on when I stopped swimming.

I am going to be posting a lot more, I think because I joined the gym, I started eating more and put on 3 pounds!!! YIKES I am not going to be upset yet. I will be upset next monday for WI if it doesn't go down. I am going to power through it. LOL
Old 05-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #9  
Just Me

Wow, I would definitely ask for another trainer. Since you do get a free orientation, maybe talk to the person who signed you up and ask them if you could get a free orientation from a different trainer?

I think it would be good to know how to use the machines. Swimming is good but so are weights
Old 05-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 465/442/150

Height: 5ft 5in

I joined Shapes. I do the water aerobic classes 3 days a week. I have bad knee problems, so this is all I can do for now.
Rita351 is offline   Reply With Quote