Old 05-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #1  

Default Plateau Musings

This may be an obvious thing that I am slow to discover, but, do you find that you hit plateaus at places where your weight had stabilized at some point? It makes sense that it would I guess - it's "familar." I wonder then if the the strength of the plateau correlates with the length of time at that weight....
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #2  

YES! I did notice that but thought I must be imagining it. But I have said "My body likes being a size 20...it was this size for so long I think it's used to it!" I am under that now, but it seems like every lb is a struggle, more than it was at least. I think my fat cells now think they have squatters rights, they've been here so long, and it's harder and harder to evict them.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #3  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Don't get me started on plateaus. I have had several nasty ones. I'm in one now where I'm playing with the same 10 pounds over and over and over again. I'm really tired of it. I have always believed that my fat has periods where it figures out that I am trying to kill it, and it fights back.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #4  

yes i hate plateaus. this last one was rough and i fell off the wagon for 3 whole days staight but am glad to report i am once again OP.
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I have read that you can plateau at weights that you maintained at for a longer period of time. It kind of makes sense even though you want to throw the scale out the window when you are going through it.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #6  

The fat cells are digging in their little heels screaming - NO you can't make me GO!!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #7  
Maeminglea

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/175

Height: 5-4

I have struggled with plateaus in all my weight loss attempts. What's weird is that I don't really do anything different when I start lossing weight again. I know I just gotta stick with the plan (even for a month) and then the weight will slowly start decreasing again.
maeminglea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I have read a lot lately about your body having a weight or size that IT is comfortable with. There is a range that your body likes to be in. Mine seems to be the 245 to 270 range. I know that is a big range, but that has to be the answer since that is where i have stayed 90% of my life. It NEVER fails, once i get to the top of the range, i can eat sweets all day and it takes a LONG time to creep up to about 270, which is great, but not so great in the opposite direction. Once i get down to the 240, it takes an act of congress to get me below that, and every pound below that is a fight. I can eat next to nothing, exercising all day and just barely creep below 240. It CAN be done, but my goodness, i know when i get there this time, i will stick there for at least a month, i am prepared for it though.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote