Old 05-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Question Thinking about getting a dog ...

My DH and I have been talking about getting a dog for awhile now. We've never had a dog before (we have two cats) and are a bit scared that we're walking into this without knowing 'the real deal' about being dog owners.

We basically want a dog for a companion for us, and for one of our cats, who is young and playful, but definitely alpha-cat, so we don't think another cat would be the best option. So obviously it would have to be a dog that got on well with cats, and since we're planning to have a child (hopefully sooner rather than later) then we'd want one that would adapt well to a growing family.

So, I wanted to ask your advice. What kind of things should we consider when looking for a dog? What kind things should we expect upon bringing a dog home? Etc. Etc. - I'm not even sure what questions to ask ... like, how difficult is it to housetrain? Would we be better off getting a puppy or an adult dog? Do you let your dog roam the house when you're not at home or crate him/her? On average, how much do you spend a year on your dog?

When I bring an animal into my home, it's for life, so I want to make sure I'm prepared about the realities of adopting a dog.

Any words of wisdom or caution would be much appreciated!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Puppies are pretty high maintenance. You'd also want to look for a dog that is good with cats. If you get a dog from a shelter, they can generally tell you the history of the dog if it isn't a stray. There are certain dogs that in general don't do well with cats.

Do you want a small dog? Medium? large? What would you like to do with your dog? Do you want a dog that would be good off leash? (Not that I recommend that but some dogs absolutely need a good fence and always to be leashed) Some dogs are fun to play with and can walk but have limits to how much they can walk. Other dogs can walk and walk and walk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 6

we got a puppy a year ago and OH BOY! It's basically like having a baby. You have to get up in the middle of the night to take them out when they are really little because they can't hold it. He cried to be fed at 6am everyday, and we could play with him for HOURS and he NEVER got tired! And then there is the chewing! In the end it's worth it, but if I could do it again I'd probably get an older dog. A lot of times they are already housebroken and aren't so energetic! Labs are great dogs and they are good with kids and cats...
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #4  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I raised basset hounds and loved them. They can be stubborn, but are outrageously loyal and loving. Mine always got along with cats, sometimes getting beaten up because they wanted to play with cats who didn't return the feeling. They don't have a lot of genetic problems that more popular breeds can have. They love to be walked, but aren't high energy or high maintenance. They don't like being left alone for long periods of time, but if you have a cat for him to be around, then that's different. There are basset rescue organizations all over the place. The Georgia one is having an adoption event in Atlanta at the Petsmart at 1801 Howell Mill Rd NW May the 5th, from 2-4 pm, and May 20th at the Petsmart in Buckshead also from 2-4PM, just in case you want to have a look at them.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #5  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I have two mini dachshunds. They can be a handful when they are puppies, but by about 4 months old they have matured alot. For the first week or so the pup might cry at night if you crate it, and you will more than likely have to get up atleast once to let it go to the bathroom for the first month. You have to make sure they have lots of toys because they will teeth on your nice oak table if they don't have a good workout for their mouth as puppies.
I had to get a second puppy because I started needing to be away from home longer and I didn't want the other one to get lonely.
I would say that you should get a boy dog and have him neutered if you don't want a dominant dog. They are seriously more affectionate than female dogs, and not any harder to train if they are neutered.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Good luck! I want a Pomeranian, but I'm just not home enough, and we live in an apartment, so not much running around room. When we buy a house, though!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #7  

We found our dog in a private shelter five years ago -- he was 10 months old -- which meant he was already housebroken but still young enough to train in other ways. He is a black lab and great with our kids both when they were babies and now. Quite the horse though. My I recommend petfinder.com -- that's where we found him -- it tells you if a dog is kid-friendly, housebroken, etc. -- gives a picture and lets you search by bread, age, area of the country, etc.

Vet bills are a few hundred dollars a year -- plus frontline medication for for ticks/fleas, heartworm meds. Our dog roams during the day, but didn't as a young dog -- he was crated (but I'm a SAHM so it was never for more than a few hours). Exercise level matters if you work full time, you don't want a "hearding/high energy" dog, because being locked up all day stinks! Ours "runs free" in our fenced in yard -- I don't believe in letting your dog roam the neighborhood. To me, it's not a lot more maintenance than a cat -- just bigger "piles" to clean up!!

Good luck and great job making an informed decision. My sister is a veterinary technician and sees lots of dogs given away/put to sleep by people who don't realize the commitment.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #8  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
Good luck and great job making an informed decision. My sister is a veterinary technician and sees lots of dogs given away/put to sleep by people who don't realize the commitment.
Agreed.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:39 AM   #9  

Well in my experience only...my puppy (6.5 month old female Chihuahua) was VERY easy to housetrain (we got her at 8 weeks old). She had maybe a few accidents the first couple weeks and that was it. The first month or so we took her out to do her business about every 2-3 hours - and once in the middle of the night, for the first couple weeks. Now, it's about every 6 hours, and she sleeps overnight without going out. Adult or puppy, hmm, well that all depends...adult dogs can either be trained to listen, or horribly trained, or not at all, puppies you have to deal with the lack of knowledge, but it doesn't take too long to teach them, and teach them the right way! If you want the least fuss then maybe go for a dog where it's grown and taught, like if someone needs to move and can't keep their adult dog anymore. If you can put some time into it then a puppy would be good, cause you can get that bond and the alpha stuff right from the start. Since my puppy is still young she stays in her crate when nobody is home - it's safer for her, and our roaming cat (I've heard 1 year is usually where you can start to trust dogs out alone in the house/room). When we get home we open her crate so she can run around and play with more room. Now price, not including any puppy costs or adoption fees, there's crate, food, toys, etc. So far for Jasmine (keep in mind this is for a small dog) I've gotten her a crate ($25), she has about a dozen toys that she using regularly ($20-80 total...but you can start with just a few things to keep him/her entertained), Jasmine also has about 6 pieces of clothing ($30 or so, but not needed really, in most cases), she has teeth cleaning toys, 2 of them ($15 total), chew treats (she alternates between 3 types, $15 total, but each $5 pack lasts a while!), fleece blankets for her to sleep on in her crate (4, 2 to use at once, and 2 for backups, $12 total), food is about a $20 bag of high quality puppy food (no filler junk), but it lasts about 2 months easily, then if you get a puppy there's shots they need, too - $100 a pop or so, you'll do it 2-3 times, then you can get them boosters yearly if you deicde to, then flea medication, about $120 a year, and well worth it! I do spoil my pup, so if you want the bare essentials here you go: Food $6-10/mth, Crate $25 for a small dog (cat sized), Toys $20 (new ones due to chewing damage about once every 3mths or so, depending on your dogs chewing habits and the toys you choose), Treats $3-6/mth. That's the must have list, in my opinion. I think it's worth getting extra toys (they get bored fast) and soft blankets for the crate, etc. Hope at least some of this helps!

~M

Last edited by Vilandra485; 05-05-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Vilandra485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

This usually goes without saying, but I just have to add that you PLEASE adopt a dog from a shelter. If you are dead set on a particular breed, then find a reputable breeder. DO NOT purchase a puppy from a generic pet store (with the exception of shelter adoption fairs at Petco/PetSmart, as they still come from a shelter).

I don't have a dog right now, but I've had them (and helped others raise them) in the past. When my boyfriend's cousins got a puppy (he was living with them at the time), they got a beagle. She's very well behaved and friendly and adorable and playful, but as a puppy, my goodness! They would put her in her crate at night and she would whine and HOWL for literally HOURS. We could hear her in the basement, and they could hear her up on the second floor, and the crate was down on the first floor.

When my sister got a puppy, he chewed on EVERYTHING. She felt guilty about crating him during the day, so she experimented with leaving him in different parts of the apartment. When she left him in the living area with the bedroom and bathroom doors closed, he pulled the cushions off the couches, chewed them open, and chewed a bunch of the foam out. When they left him in the bedroom with the door shut, he actually pulled the mattress halfway off the bed and pulled all the sheets off of it. When they locked him in the bathroom, they came home to find him wrapped in the shower curtain inthe bathtub (which he has ripped down). And yes, they had left him various kinds of TOYS to chew on throughout all of this, but he wasn't interested in those

So yeah, puppies can be a LOT of work. Personally, I would look for a dog that is maybe a year old. By that point, their true disposition is more clear, and it's easier to determine if they are good with other animals and/or kids.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Another option besides the shelter, if you're interested in a particular breed, is a rescue organization. Most breeds have one. If you search the Internet for the breed and rescue, such as "beagle rescue," you can find one in your area.

These places often have more history of the dog because people specifically use them to avoid kill shelters. Also, these sites can give you some background about the dog's characteristics and help you decide whether the dog may be a good fit for you.

Our beagle-girl is 6 now and, while the puppy years were interesting (I highly recommend puppy day care), she's wonderful and I wouldn't trade any moment!

WARNING: Tacky mother showing "baby" pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: gif KatiePic2.gif (35.2 KB, 11 views)
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

We plan to get a beagle once we purchase a townhome. It is kind of funny in that some of the main features we want in a townhome are to accomodate any dog that we may get. We want a small yard, we want plenty of areas to walk a dog, access to a park and easy access to a doggy park. Our shelter regularly has beagles and they even had a 1 month old available recently. We do want to get a puppy or an older dog that is used to cats because we have a cat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #13  

If you've never had dog before, even as a kid, I'd go mellow - lab or something like that. Very trainable (that's why they use the for seeing eye dogs!) Great with small critters and so on. Even though they are big, they aren't high energy and don't need lots of exercise to remain sane. I've had much smaller dogs that needed a lot more space and exercise to behave themselves than my labs. DON'T get a breed that has a high prey drive with cats in the house. Personal experience speaking here - I have a samoyed great with people, not so great with small critters like cats. We have the house divided like the Korean Peninsula. The cat gets her half, the dog gets his half, and ne'er the twain shall meet. The dog - we've now trained (it took more than a year) to leave the cat alone, but alas cats aren't trainable and she still gets mad, puffs up and hisses if the dog so much as comes in her sight. He now ignores her, and I think her puffing and hissing is a little less every day. Maybe in five years there will be a cease-fire. Get a rescue dog if you can, the world has too many unwanted dogs that need homes. Get a potty-trained adult and make your life infinitely easier. And most of all the number one rule about doggie ownership - a TIRED dog is a GOOD dog.
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

I agree, Luja. Tired is good!
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #15  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone, for your responses - I really appreciate it and you've given me a lot of great info!

We've decided to wait a bit and really examine what kind of dog we'd want (not breed-wise, but activity level, age, etc.) and also wait for me to get a job (I'm in the process of looking) so a) we'd have more money to support the care of a dog and b) so a dog doesn't get used to me being around all the time and then suddenly I'm not anymore.

Catherine, thanks so much for taking the time to actually look up where the basset hound adoptions were taking place.

Jill, we would most definitely adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue group. My two cats were adopted (one from the humane society, one from our vet after he'd been left there one day) and with all the unwanted animals out there, I feel very strongly about adopting one and making it one less animal who has to be without a home.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote