Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #1  
Ride over me, Die Tragedy

Red face Newbie

My name is Aria I’m 17 years old. This is really me trying to be healthy because I am a mess and I’m pretty much sick of it…I’m going to be 18 in a little less than a year so I’ve decided I need to at least try to grow up a little bit lol.
I got 302’d in late October when my boyfriend decided he wanted to live mainly back in Ireland where he “grew up” and while I was in the hospital I was diagnosed as bi-polar/ depression and was only out of the hospital for a day and a half before I got kicked out of school and sent to a different psyche hospital where I was for 8 days and then was sent back in February for substance abuse and my weight/cholesterol has always been a problem so I’m just generally unhealthy and would really like to remedy that ya know?
I was talking to my mom the other night and she was telling me that I really need to quit smoking and just live healthy if I want to live past 30…the reality of that hit me and I got scared… so now for the first time I’m really trying…and I’m beginning to understand how difficult this is lol…I’m so entirely open to any suggestions from anyone cause I’m really not too sure of how to start…I’m not in school and I don’t (yet) have a job. So I have time!! Lots of it…LOL there should be no reason why I’m 340 pounds.

-Aria
AriaCantSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default welcome, Aria

What a beautiful name. I have never heard it before. I wish you well...just read EVERYTHING here, every post, every book review, everything...there is no one right answer, but something will click for you........if you look under forums, you will find some emotional support...you will find a "diet", a method, something.....people start with exercise, and that does have huge implications in physcological well-being. I heard Linda Dano say on one of the talk shows the other day that for depression, if you can only do one thing, just one, it is EXERCISE. You have your whole life ahead of you, and the job market is such that every single person with a skill, computer, writing,math, whatever, is in demand ...good jobs are there, just get a skill......stay with it! An in-demand skill, a good job..it all adds up to self-esteem...and that translates into heathy behavior..stay with it, and good luck.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Aria -- I was overwhelmed when I started, so I took baby steps. I started taking my lunch and snacks to work and just trying to move more. Soon I was calorie counting and exercising and really figuring out how to make healthy habits part of my lifestyle!

You're welcome to join us also on the weekly numbered threads "300+ and ready to try again". We have several younger members.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

Aria, if its any consolation, I was a complete mess at 17 as well. I didnt have the weight problem, but I did have the depression, subsance abuse, kicked out of multiple schools, juvenille delenquent, type of problems (dont tell my kids....lol). Like you, one day I just had an epiphany and realized that how i was living was not a good way to live.....but it was an excellent way to die. One thing i learned about depression that made alot of sense to me, and has been a big help over the years was this

Stop waiting to be "in the mood" to do whatever....the "mood' is never going to come...and while you are waiting to be in the mood to get out of bed and take a shower (or whatever), and beating yourself up about not doing it, you could have done it stress free about 20 times.

I still struggle with depression, but never for very long anymore. The substance abuse issues have not been issues for over 17 years now. I went to college and was on the deans list throughout. I have a successful career, and nobody even guesses about my past.

Good luck You will be fine, you have the right attitude for it.
Button_ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/289/170

Height: 5'9"

Aria, Wow, I don't think I would have been brave enough to try and help myself at your age. Life for me was crazy but not like yours. I agree with the previous posts. Read everything on here. You will find amazing support here. I used to think stuff like this was silly and old lady, but I love it now. I am 34, but I still feel like I am young like you. You can do this. Like my signature says, "Happiness is a choice that at times does really require a great amount of effort." My advice for you, and I do have some serious experience with eating, weight loss, substance abuse, and just general authority issues, don't try to do everything at once. Pick one. I quit smoking first. Then moved on to bigger and better things. So, start with one. If you ever need a shoulder, I am here. Feel free to write. Come onto the numbered thread, there is a lot of stuff on there, but you can just write what you want. Come join us. It will help. Great luck to you.
Carolyn
DJCJRun is offline   Reply With Quote