Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152.9/148.0/113

Height: 5'7

Default Free "Cheat" day worries

Hi everyone

I just joined this forum yesterday and I am already a believer, so I'm here to solicit some much needed advice. I have been eating healthfully and been very conscious of my caloric intake for 11 days straight along with working out 9 out of the 11 days. I have not taken a cheat meal day yet, and next week I am meeting my cousin for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants which mainly serves gourmet burgers and such. I REALLY want to allow myself to enjoy the meal, but I'm so worried that all my efforts will be destroyed in one sitting. I plan on getting in a super healthy breakfast with enough fiber/protein/carbs to keep me from attacking our server as soon as she comes to take our orders but its still stressing me out a bit. Any tips? Last words? Help
Monkeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #2  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Dial back your calories a little throughout the day. Don't weigh yourself the day after, and drink a lot of water.

You will probably hold water from the sodium content, but that's all it is. Water. one meal off can only derail you if you let it!

When I was losing very quickly in January (It was my wooshiest month ever!), I was turning down social engagements so I wouldn't mess up the scale, and I regret that so much.

Pick one thing you really want, and healthy sides. you'll be fine!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #3  

Thanks Radiojane! I was sitting down to breakfast after I posted (fiber one cereal with unsweetened almond milk, yum) and I thought to myself that I wouldn't weigh myself the day after either I have been turning down going out with friends because oftentimes I cant find the nutritional information for certain restaurants. I will just keep reminding myself its one meal and does not have the power to define my whole day
Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

One of my favorite tricks is to order something from the appetizer menu and a glass of seltzer water with a lemon twist. You'll find that many apps are actually a large enough serving to count as a meal. You get a treat, you don't derail yourself too much, and you're not the freak who's like "Oh I'm on a diet so I'll just have a salad."
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #5  

Good idea on the apps! I was able to check out their menu (I've been there more times than I or my scale would care to admit) and saw that I can tweak my meal to be pretty healthy but tasty at the same time It didn't help that someone commented on my weight gain today at the gym in a not-so-nice-way, but I just have to keep my chin up.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/220

Height: 5'10"

What keeps me calm if I'm having a cheat meal or just simply go over my calories for the day is that it takes 3500 calories for a lb of fat. Even if I got the worst thing on the menu I seriously doubt it's going to add up to 3500. Even if you do weigh yourself the next day and the scale says your heavier chances are its water, your fine. My mother (got her hooked on my fitness pal) freaked out the other day after a heavy dinner because the scale said she gained 2 pounds. I know damn well she didn't gain 2 lbs of fat, I told her to ignore it, drink water and give it a day or 2. Sure enough 2 days later she was back down to normal.

Relax and enjoy your burger, the place sounds fantastic!
JeniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #7  

I am definitely going to keep an eye on my daily calorie allowance and make adjustments as necessary. Like I mentioned before, if I get my workout in in the morning and have a satiating breakfast I should be ok. The food is so good there that it would be a shame to eat only a small green salad for lunch I liked the story about your mom JeniH; I am the same way the day after when I jump on the scale and it reads that I've gained 3 to 5 pounds. I hate water retention
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysmom View Post
Hi everyone

I just joined this forum yesterday and I am already a believer, so I'm here to solicit some much needed advice. I have been eating healthfully and been very conscious of my caloric intake for 11 days straight along with working out 9 out of the 11 days. I have not taken a cheat meal day yet, and next week I am meeting my cousin for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants which mainly serves gourmet burgers and such. I REALLY want to allow myself to enjoy the meal, but I'm so worried that all my efforts will be destroyed in one sitting. I plan on getting in a super healthy breakfast with enough fiber/protein/carbs to keep me from attacking our server as soon as she comes to take our orders but its still stressing me out a bit. Any tips? Last words? Help

Enjoy the 'cheat' meal. It is one meal, and it own't derail you. Also, get the item cut into fours, so you munch away at a 1/4 of the burger, or whatever you order, gab a bit and go on. Sometimes I have to do this, and I end up throwing out an entire plate of fries and a bite or two of the sandwich.

Don't sweat the cheat meal. You may have a flux, but it'll exit with some serious water intake. Dandelion tea will help flush you of excess water too. You'll be fine.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote