Non-Food Rewards

• My shrink suggested that I find non-food rewards for my accomplishments. But I'm having trouble finding them.

I would normally treat myself with a delicious latte or a slice of cheesecake.

Help! What are your smallish non-food rewards? I just bought myself a new dress for reaching 1/3 of the way to my goal.
  • I am working on celebrating and self soothing without food. It is a challenge but there are so many options. Think about hobbies or what you might like to try. it might take some time to find the right thing for you. You might already do all of the things I list below or they may not be small enough. I look forward to seeing other ideas. I love this topic so here is my list...
    take a bubble bath
    try a new scented body wash or indulge in an old favorite
    visit a museum
    color your hair or get a new cut or just have it professionally done
    buy accessories like a scarf
    book a massage, manicure or pedicure
    buy fancy undergarments
    buy new shoes
    buy a ticket to an event like a concert or whatever you like
    read a book or magazine
    watch a movie or buy an educational video
    try a new sport or class
    if you have a hobby you can indulge in something for that... yarn if you knit or golf lessons or crafting supplies or studio time
  • I think my major problem in the past is that I have also used food as a means of social support. Having a bad day with husband? Call a girlfriend for coffee and scones. Want to celebrate a promotion at work? Call husband to meet you for after work cocktails!

This is tough, but I am tougher. I just keep thinking that right now, I am eating 1000 calories less than what my body needs to maintain this weight (I am on a plan to lose 2 pounds per week). When I reach my goal weight, maybe an iced coffee won't be the end of the world......
  • I'm buying myself special beads for my Pandora bracelet for every 25 pounds lost. My 75 pound bead has been sitting in a drawer waiting for me to earn it since before Christmas.

For smaller accomplishments, I'll buy a new lipgloss or a tiny new perfume.

As for self soothing, do you like tea? There are hundreds of different blends and flavors. Between black, green, white and herbal, you should be able to find something that works for you.
  • I always reward myself with a great new pair of jeans. I LOVE nice jeans, especially when I can fit into a smaller size than before!