Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #1  

Default Non-Food Rewards

My shrink suggested that I find non-food rewards for my accomplishments. But I'm having trouble finding them.

I would normally treat myself with a delicious latte or a slice of cheesecake.

Help! What are your smallish non-food rewards? I just bought myself a new dress for reaching 1/3 of the way to my goal.
clevergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I am working on celebrating and self soothing without food. It is a challenge but there are so many options. Think about hobbies or what you might like to try. it might take some time to find the right thing for you. You might already do all of the things I list below or they may not be small enough. I look forward to seeing other ideas. I love this topic so here is my list...
take a bubble bath
try a new scented body wash or indulge in an old favorite
visit a museum
color your hair or get a new cut or just have it professionally done
buy accessories like a scarf
book a massage, manicure or pedicure
buy fancy undergarments
buy new shoes
buy a ticket to an event like a concert or whatever you like
read a book or magazine
watch a movie or buy an educational video
try a new sport or class
if you have a hobby you can indulge in something for that... yarn if you knit or golf lessons or crafting supplies or studio time

Last edited by 5aday; 01-28-2012 at 10:48 PM.
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #3  

I think my major problem in the past is that I have also used food as a means of social support. Having a bad day with husband? Call a girlfriend for coffee and scones. Want to celebrate a promotion at work? Call husband to meet you for after work cocktails!

This is tough, but I am tougher. I just keep thinking that right now, I am eating 1000 calories less than what my body needs to maintain this weight (I am on a plan to lose 2 pounds per week). When I reach my goal weight, maybe an iced coffee won't be the end of the world......
clevergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm buying myself special beads for my Pandora bracelet for every 25 pounds lost. My 75 pound bead has been sitting in a drawer waiting for me to earn it since before Christmas.

For smaller accomplishments, I'll buy a new lipgloss or a tiny new perfume.

As for self soothing, do you like tea? There are hundreds of different blends and flavors. Between black, green, white and herbal, you should be able to find something that works for you.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/144.4/130

Height: 5 ft 5 in

I always reward myself with a great new pair of jeans. I LOVE nice jeans, especially when I can fit into a smaller size than before!
ErinT is offline   Reply With Quote