What advantages and disadvantages do you have in the weight loss game?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Right now I am in a funk about the various problems I'm having on my journey. But I should not forget about all the advantages I have and how far I have come! What are some of the advantages and disadvantages you have that make you feel lucky or unluckier than the average bear? I will start:

Disadvantages:

-Diagnosed in the past few months with unexplained high blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar - might be metabolic syndrome or PCOS, they're still figuring it out
    -I really, REALLY love sugar - started eating sugar out of the bag at age 4 and still look forward all week to my weekly dessert splurge
    -Dealing with a neck injury for the past 4 years that makes it hard to exercise
    -Have yo-yo dieted in the past and it's a lot harder to lose weight than it used to be
    -Want to lose weight quickly because my doc says I have to get healthy in order to get pregnant but I'm finding it incredibly difficult and slow

Advantages:

-Good health insurance and good access to doctors, nutritionists, physical therapists, tests, and meds
    -Living in a major metropolitan area where lots of things are walkable
    -I like to research recipes, cook, and I love my fruits and veggies
    -I love walking and I love weights (hate cardio tho!)
    -Supportive husband

Your turn!!
  • you forgot "My mother picked a great name for me" as an advantage haha
  • Lol!!
  • I definitely think one of my advantages is that I actually look forward to working out and going to the gym!!! I might hate it while I am on the elliptical or whatever, but I always feel amazing afterwards and get antsy if I can't make it on a certain day!!

Disadvantage is that I haven't been able to quite curb the sweets binging. For instance, there were oreos the other day out. I told myself that I would have ONE....and I had like 6.
  • Disadvantages:
    I have a background of crash diets and eating disorders.
    I have a desk job!
    A boyfriend that loves junk food as much as me but does not need to diet!
    I cant cook and am a very fussy eater.

Advantages:
    I still live with my parents so I just have m, myself and I to plan for.
    I have a long walk to and from my office.
  • Disadvantages:
    -Time constraints. Work, family, house often leave me with little energy to focus on exercise and meal planning.

Advantages:
    - I'm the primary shopper and cook, so I get to make most of the meal decisions.
    - I like lot's of fruits and veggies and enjoy eating them/making them the focus of a meal.
  • I love fruits and vegis.
    I enjoy jogging.

I crave sweets...
  • Advantages:
    -Supportive hubby (when I lose weight, he loses too without even trying argggggghhhh, he loves that!)
    -Motivation (2 kids that I want to be around for them)
    -I love the gym (just hate going but once I'm there I love)

Disadvantages:
    -Kids (time management is hard, plus breast feeding)
    -Sweets and fat nom nom
  • Disadvantages:

-I have a desk job
    -I have a tendency to give in to cravings and junk foods (But I'm working on that)
    -I have a tendency to overtrain due to my sometimes obsessive nature
    -I have some health issues which cause me to tire easily and a tendency to sleep a lot
    -I am a little obsessed with subtle changes in my body shape/size (things get bad when I'm having a 'fat day' even though I know it's natural to have these) but... on a positive note, if I can see my abs returning or new muscle definition it is a most joyous occasion!
    -Oh.. and I'm a little vain... or does that count as a plus? Hmmm... dunno.

Advantages:

-(When under control) I can focus my energy and determination to break thru when working out gets tough'
    -I really enjoy working out (most of the time)
    -I have a supportive family who help me to take the necessary time out to work on my fitness/health goals
    -I am self-motivated (I have never really been comfortable in a gym environment preferring to work out on my own)
  • I work graveyard 11p-7a by the time I'm done with work, all I can think about is my warm cozy bed. I also go to school 4x/week from 3:30pm-6:40pm. However, I'm starting to map out my schedule and attempt to workout for at least 30 min to 1 hour 5x/wk.
  • I don't really like sweets or sodas
    I am tall so I naturally burn more calories
    I have an elliptical
    I cook and grocery shop
    I am not going through university anymore
    I am young, my skin should snap back
  • Quote: Disadvantages:
    -Time constraints. Work, family, house often leave me with little energy to focus on exercise and meal planning.

Advantages:
    - I'm the primary shopper and cook, so I get to make most of the meal decisions.
    - I like lot's of fruits and veggies and enjoy eating them/making them the focus of a meal.
    This is pretty much me!!
  • Disadvantages:

I do not like to cook and I often eat whatever is quickest and easiest. I have found ways to work this into my plan but I do not eat many veggies at all. I like them, I am just too lazy to prepare them.

I started out with over 100 lbs to lose and probably have about a year to go before I hit my goal.

I have an office job with tons of food around all the time. Breakfast is offered every morning (donuts, bagels, breakfast burritos etc), lunch at least once a week, and even a free frozen yogurt machine. I am amazed at my willpower, honestly.

Advantages:

I have a great home gym with a treadmill, mini-elliptical, dumbbells, stability ball, and a tv.

I have a really great friend at work who constantly compliments me on my progress and is always excited to hear my weight-in updates on Monday mornings. A cheerleader makes a huuuuuge difference.

My son (almost 8) is very supportive and keeps himself entertained while I work out.
  • Disadvantages
    Time constraints as well..I am a stay at home mom to a 7 year old, a very busy two year old and breastfeeding a 2 month old. Which leaves little time to plan a regular workout and meal planning around their busy schedule.
    Working out-I am lazy when it comes to working out since running after kids all day is exhausting.

Advantages
    Having a supportive husband and children who have never said the F word.
    Being the primary shopper and chef.
    I have access to a pool so I can swim and do laps for exercise.
    Motivation to be around for my kids and to get back into my old clothes.
  • Disadvantages

- I own my own buisness, I work 6 days a week 10 hours a week behind a counter that has chocolate bars with a fridge of pop and a stack of chips behind me, all of which I techinically own.
    - No time for a gym due to work.
    - I have MS and exercise is not easy.
    - I hate most veggies
    - Chips are my favorite food
    - I LOVE McDonalds

Advantages

- I actually WANT to lose weight, never cared before.
    - I am 2lbs away from what I weighed in 5 years ago, moral is high.
    - I LOVE fruit so have been eating that instead of chips as snacks.