3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   Moms - when do you exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/232111-moms-when-do-you-exercise.html)

jitterfish 06-14-2011 03:34 AM

I work 4 days so my two lil ones (2.5yrs and 7mos) are in care those days. Luckily I teach at college so I can get to the gym two days a week because I don't have classes starting until 10am (just means I have to be super organised or do more work on the weekend). Then I try to get a work out in on the weekend, either walking with DH and the kids or when they are a napping take off to the gym. But often I only get one work out in :(

mortonpixie 06-18-2011 07:14 PM

I have 4 children (ages 13-2), a home daycare, and home school our kids. My husband is also an athlete so workout time is precious! We take turns in the mornings (mine are M-W-F). Depending on his work schedule, we can start as early as 4:30. We both go on the weekends, but get up a little later (say 6 or 7). A couple of times a week, I will workout in the evenings. I make supper and head to the basement for my workout.

Keep working it in - believe me - it will become a priority and you will wonder what you would do without it!!

fitmom 07-07-2011 04:40 PM

When my kids were really little, naptime was the time to work out. Now that they are older and go to school full-time, I work out right after seeing them off at the bus stop. Sometimes, I work out at night after they fall asleep but mornings are better for me. Whatever works for you.

leacj 07-08-2011 06:09 PM

I have a 4 yr old, and work FT, mainly 12 hr shifts.

Since on the days I work I don't get to spend much time with my LO, I tend to workout after he is in bed.

I have been making this a priority over getting things ready for the next day, as I know that after exercise I will still do what I need to do for the next day. However, if I get everything ready for the next day first, I often manage to convince myself that I am too tired and will have to wait to the next day to exercise.

I so wish I was a morning person and that I could force myself out of bed at 4am to have time to squeeze in a workout :rolleyes: ....yah, like that is ever going to happen!

KerriLeah 07-09-2011 02:15 PM

It isn't easy, for sure. But I figured if I have time to get online, then I have time to work out. I work full-time and am the only parent for my two girls, 15 and 3. So, at least I can leave the little one with the big one. I started hitting the gym between 5:30 and 5:45 during the week for an hour while they are both sleeping. On the weekend, a little more lax and go when I feel like it.

JessyV 07-13-2011 05:22 PM

I have to get up at 6am so i can be done at 7:30am before my kids and hubby get up. Its hard getting up early but its my "me" time and its the only time I get during the day that is quiet and uninterrupted.

BakingChick 07-14-2011 08:37 AM

I'm a SAHM...so it's a lot easier for me. I fit it in when I get the motivation for the day. I used to only do it at my kids' nap times, but now that they're a little older (I can trust them in a room without me making sure they don't draw on the walls haha) I usually put them infront of the tv (bad mom) for a sessoin of sesame street or sid the science kid. At least they're learning something from pbs cartoons :)

eriluo 07-18-2011 12:50 PM

I work Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, so I exercise at 6 am before work, when DH is still around just in case my son wakes up, and if I can't muster it in the morning, I will do it after he goes to bed at night. My favourite form of exercise is a 30 minute walk, but sometimes I will do weights and also dance aerobics.

nomorexcuses 07-21-2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallGirl (Post 3829074)
I have a toddler and work out of the home as well. I'm up at 5 a.m. already and don't get home until 4:30 most days. Right now I just don't exercise, unfortunately. I just can't make it work right now.

I totally understand! I asked a similar question under weightloss support. My one yr old does not entertain himself real well (because he is one). I am really struggling to find time to do any kind of work out I am at work by 6 and lucky to be home by 6. I think I am going to try a late night walk tomorrow (I am up anyway).

ItsMyTurn 07-21-2011 01:26 PM

I know this is an older post and all, but it's a common issue. I am a mom to 3, my DH is the SAHD and I work full time. I leave my house for the commute at 5:30am and usually get home roughly between 5:15-6pm depending on when I can leave and how traffic is. For awhile I was getting up at 3:15 to insure I could have time to workout, but with still trying to spend time with the kids in the evening, this was not allowing for enough sleep. So now, I say hi to everyone when I get home, have a cup of water, and get right to it. That way the rest of the evening is with the family after, it's before I eat supper, and then I can shower before bed and feel fresh after sleep :) It seems to work for us

Melissa Lynn 09-03-2011 11:41 AM

I use to work out during my baby's nap but now I just try to bust is out as soon as I can in the AM to free up the rest of my day..

Kierra 09-11-2011 11:54 PM

I work outside the home. I work 4 10 hour days so I can get 3 days at home with my 18 month old. I love it because I never have to work more than 2 days without a day off. I get sunday, wednesday and thursday off.

I've been doing either ddr or wii fit in my living room. Sometimes my toddler watches but he's pretty independent and will often wander off to his room to play while periodically coming back in to sit and watch. We live in an 800 sq ft apartment so his room is pretty close to the living room and I can hear him. He is in love with the female wii fit trainer and flirts with her when she comes on.

khumphrey 10-07-2011 01:14 PM

I have found that either I work out at home in the evening with a auidence or I work out in my office during my lunch break. I can get in 30 - 60 minutes of exercise a day five days a week.

InsideMe 10-07-2011 02:31 PM

I'm a single mother of 2 young kids (5 and 3). I have a live in nanny so she's my biggest help in running my household smoothly. I have the option to work from home which I did all summer and when the opportunity came (the nanny took the kids to the park) I would work out. I don't have time in the mornings (I'm getting the kids ready for school or I have to leave very early to get into the office for 7am) and evenings after dinner I'm spending time with the kids or running off to skating, swimming or gymnastics. My only time now is when I come into the office which I made 3 days at week on my lunch, and I joined a gym down the street from my work. I work from home Tuesday's and Thursday's and do my workout when both kids are in school. The youngest comes home for lunch, he's only half days, so I have to start working out by 11am or I don't get it in. Time is very limited so when the chance comes up and I'm not doing anything I work out! I have given up TV and much of my social life so I could work out! LOL Well now that I'm doing it on my lunch from work it's so much better! There's no way I can do it in the mornings, I would have to wake up at 3:30am get ready and workout from 4am-5am....ummmm yeah no thanks! I'm not THAT motivated! LOL

It is a juggle, but you can organize something to make it work!

jenjulia 10-10-2011 10:46 PM

I'm a SAHM with three kids. My two boys go to school every day and my daughter is in preschool three mornings a week. I work out two-three mornings at the gym while she's at preschool. Other times I've worked out are at night...Friday night I was at the gym at 9:30pm until 11pm. Lunch time would probably be ideal if you have a busy schedule...