Old 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #1  
Mission 130

S/C/G: 180/172.5/130

Height: 5'1"

Talking Non-negotiable foods...

Dieters make a ton of concessions when it comes to trimming every last unneeded calorie from the daily menu. However, I refuse to sacrifice taste for even 100 calories. I've already given up my chocolate. I've given up bread and beer, along with almost anything that includes the dreaded 'high fructose corn syrup'...dun dun dun!

My husband, being the dear he is, likes to pick up 'diet' things for me. I've had to correct him on a few points, or else it sits in the fridge until it is ready to be sold to a pharmaceutical company for penicillin.

Here are the few I will not give up my taste buds for:
1) low-fat cottage cheese
2) light mayonnaise
3) any kind of light salad dressing - I don't drown my food in it as it is
4) Snack-Well cookies (if you can believe it)
5) mustard (which is NEVER going to take the place of my mayo!)

Do you have foods you refuse to give up to the lo-cal revolution?
d-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/160/125

Height: 5'3"

I gave up most junk food. I refuse to give up chocolate. Dark chocolate in those squares once a day or so is perfectly fine and I love it.

I'm with you on the light mayo. It's nasty. Just plain nasty. I LOVE lowfat cottage cheese. Maybe because that's all I've ever had. So, I don't get that one.

I found a "light" salad dressing that is simply delicious. It's a lemon based italian. I wouldn't get a low fat creamy dressing, those are nasty too, just like the light mayo. But then, I don't eat them. Well, Ok I don't eat salad much in general. The only creamy dressing I eat is when I dip my pizza in ranch.....but I've given that up mostly...now too.

I swore before I started the South Beach diet that I would never eat nasty, processed, low fat cheese. I have. And It's ok. I am not sure after writing this that there is anything I refuse to give up anymore, except chocolate.

Last edited by Restypines; 08-06-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Restypines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I eat pizza on Friday night and drink soda too. I haven't given that up. I have no other sacred cows though. Anything is up for going DOWN if it will help my weightloss.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I try to stay away from sweets - simply because they trigger something in me that demands more!

I try to eat foods that are good for my body - no "off limits" foods, here -- and nothing I won't try once.

*Fat free mayo, cheese, sour cream - GAG.*
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Low fat mayo and fat free sour cream don't really taste that different to me. I know I'm in the minority here. I also don't mind some low cal creamy dressings. I use those as dip for carrots.

I won't give up my morning can of Diet Coke (or, this month, Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi).

I also won't give up the weekly trip to Dunkin' Donuts with the kids (although now instead of having 5-6 donuts that day, I only get 2 and I work my day's calories around them).

I don't care for low-fat cottage cheese, either.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quite honestly, I won't give up anything. The minute I give something up, then I crave it all the time and I go completely wacko about it. The only way I can succeed with weight loss is limiting my calories and allowing myself whatever I want within that calorie range. Most of the time I eat healthy stuff, because I get more bang for my calorie buck that way anyway, but some days I eat junk all day. Keeps me happy.

Oh, but I gave up meat. That was for different reasons, and it wasn't difficult at all.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

I REFUSE to give up my Chocolate! I usually buy little Hershey Kisses, s/f pudding or dark chocolate squares.

Pizza is another thing I will NOT give up. I give myself a budget though 2 slices per month from a pizza shop. One package of DeGornous 200 calories slices(cheese and tomato flavor...YUMM), satisfying without destroying the diet. That's the maxium buget, most months I usually have the 2 slices from a pizza shop or the 200 calorie slices.

Last edited by Violin Jenn; 08-06-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Started at 380lbs.

Height: 6'4"

The only thing I have given up is fast food. The only time I eat fast food now is if I have no other option. Then I get a Wendy's Grilled Chicken sandwich because I know it is 300 calories.

Other than fast food, I still eat everything I want, just less of it.
ewimsatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #9  
Believe it to acheive it!

S/C/G: 202/189/153

Height: 5'6

I don't mind the light mayo, ff sour cream, or the light dressings. I guess because I've always eaten those. Here are my non-negotiable foods:
1) pizza on Friday night. Still eat it, just not as much.
2) cheese. I refuse to anything besides land o lakes from the deli.
3) chick fil a. What can I say I love the Chick!! That being said I have changed what I eat there.
I really don't same the anything is off limits, because that's when I want it!!
BabyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/145/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoop View Post
I don't mind the light mayo, ff sour cream, or the light dressings. I guess because I've always eaten those. Here are my non-negotiable foods:
1) pizza on Friday night. Still eat it, just not as much.
2) cheese. I refuse to anything besides land o lakes from the deli.
3) chick fil a. What can I say I love the Chick!! That being said I have changed what I eat there.
I really don't same the anything is off limits, because that's when I want it!!
Chilck fil a is always my go to for fast food. The Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich is the best (and lowest cal) fast food grilled chicken sandwich. I've found. Yumm!
hdallas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #11  
Back on Track to Healthy

S/C/G: since 4/16/10 - 260/Ticker/165

Height: 5' 7"

I won't give up the amazing Cheese Popcorn - I just eat only 1 serving instead of half the bag!!
saram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/181/145

It took me a while to switch over to diet soda from regular soda...took months!!!!

I can't drink fat free skim milk...it just taste like weird water to me.
ducktape54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: Started at 380lbs.

Height: 6'4"

My parents switch the house over to diet cokes when I was 12 (about 20 years ago.) Since then, I can't drink a regular coke. It feels like I can chew the sugar in one of those. The only time I ever break that is when I go to a bar. Then my staple is 7&7.
ewimsatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'4"

There are only 2 things I really refuse to give up, chocolate and cheese. Although i do have a couple work arounds. I will always get really good chocolate, then only have one little sware here and there. Cheese is kinda the same. I LOVE really good artisan cheese with crackers, but I will only have it about once a month or so. If i put cheese on anything else, i get the 2% milk kind and use it sparingly.
kaygee41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktape54 View Post
It took me a while to switch over to diet soda from regular soda...took months!!!!

I can't drink fat free skim milk...it just taste like weird water to me.
the lowest I will go as far as milk is concerned is 2% I know that is still not good, but anything lower is cloudy water to me, I can't have cereal and water that is just nasty lol
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote