Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default Tell Friends Pounds Lost or Current Weight?

Although I can speak freely here, I'm quite embarrassed about talking about exact weight with folks I know personally. Even DH doesn't know what my weight is. (His guess was that I started in the 170s! Ha!) He's quite supportive about my weight loss and all, I just won't tell him how much I weigh! I've only told him and friends how much I've lost. Part of this comes from my height. I'm rather tall, so, even when I've been skinny, people were shocked at how much I weighed because they're used to thinking in terms of lighter weights.

Anyhow, someday I hope to be at my target weight, 145. At that point, if I talk to anyone about my weight loss, should I just say "I weigh 145 now" or "I lost 50 pounds"? I don't want to tell anyone BOTH of those because I'm just too embarrassed. I have been very open about the fact that I'm on a diet, so virtually everyone knows. Whatever I decide, I'll have to start using it now! I can't tell everyone, "I've lost X pounds", then, a week later, switch to "I weigh 145!". My friends are smart enough to figure that one out! At this point, I've told no friends how many pounds I intend to lose.

On a related note, I saw a friend briefly whom I hadn't seen since I started this diet. He didn't say a word. After 25 pounds lost, it's noticeable. I wonder if he's that unobservant too scared to say something!

Last edited by LessEveryDay; 05-19-2008 at 10:36 AM.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #2  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 195/See ticker/125

When asked, I always answer people with : I lost X amount of pounds so far ! Then, I always get compliments
Sunnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #3  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I've told people how much I've lost...not what I weigh. The only people who know what I started at was my best friend and my sister. My mum knows what size I wear and this morning I ran down to tell her I fit into my old jeans from years ago. I dunno if she can guess how much I weigh from that...lol.

Girls at work (I only work there during the summer) have asked me if I've lost weight and if they ask I tell them yes...I'm down X pounds.

I would worry about your friend. Guys are funny about this kind of stuff. I saw this friend of mine yesterday after about 2.5 months and he said "You look really good" and then said I looked "well rested". Hahaha. So I mean...he noticed I looked different but didn't associate it with weight. Most guys pay less attention to that kind of stuff so it doesn't register as the first thing that could be different about you. I think they notice you look different...they just don't know why until it's blatantly obvious.

Edit: I apologize. I'm not a 30-something...lol. The title of your post just caught my attention.

Last edited by rockstar87; 05-17-2008 at 05:04 PM.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I would lean toward the "I've lost approximately xx pounds statement".

In all honesty, the choice is entirely up to you if you even bother to name any numbers. A simple, "thank you for noticing that I've lost weight", should suffice -- even if they actually ask how much; it still should shut them up, but kindly.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm with meowee. I tell people how much I've lost, if they ask, but not how much I weigh. That's the kind of thing I don't think anyone but me (and you guys, and the people who read my weight loss journal!) needs to know.

Last edited by thistoo; 05-17-2008 at 06:20 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Im say how many pounds I have lost. My sisterinlaw asked how much more i wanted to lose....I think she was trying to guess my weight now. I will not tell what it is now or what i started at.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/138/115

Height: 5'2"

I don't mind telling people both. Of course, there are few people who know me well enough that they'd come up and say anything to me about it since they'd be indifferent, but I think if I was asked, I wouldn't have a problem with telling them both, "I've lost xx pounds" or "I'm 115 pounds!" (My goal weight--NOT my current weight! (I wish!)). Though I'm very much the same person I was before I started my weight loss journey (but with a healthier lifestyle and a greater willpower and discipline), I have to say that, being 25 pounds lighter and half-way to my goal, I can look back on myself and my weight objectively and see myself from back then as a totally different person. Anyone who would see my previously being overweight as a negative thing to look down upon me for is not someone whose opinion would matter to me. I prefer to see it as a strong point in who I am that I was able to fight AGAINST the current and lose that weight that I had always had since I was very young.

But I guess if I was one to choose one or the other, I'd choose to say "I've lost xx pounds". It shows how far you've come.
Gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #8  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

For DH & close friends, yes, I would tell them my weight. For anyone else that asked, I would tell them how much I've lost. I dunno, maybe at goal I will be shouting it from the rooftops, but I really don't think so.

As for men not noticing, LOL! If they do say anything, take it gratefully, if not, figure that they probably noticed, but are afraid to say something, because then we might think that they thought we were really fat before!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote