Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #1  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Default 30 Somethings daily chat: Thursday 12/20

Hello, where is everyone? It's a very scary day if I have to start a chat. Not alot going on today. Gonna go get some paint and paint our bedroom. I think I'm going with Lowe's because it is closer to my house. In case I have to run back for something.

Everyone have a great day.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #2  
Diana

Height: 5' 4"

Hi everyone! Yikes, it is quiet in here this morning!

Yesterday was a pretty good day eating-wise for me. Stayed on track.

Someone was asking about cooking ham yesterday. My husband cooks one every year. We get any bone-in ham from the grocery store. He hangs (with toothpicks) sliced pineapple and cherries (kind in a jar) on it and smokes it. He makes a marinade that he brushes on it probably every 45 min or an hour made of brown sugar,cherry juice, honey....not sure if he puts anything else in it. It's really, REALLY good! Everyone raves about it. You can even (if you have a big enough smoker) place the ham on top and a turkey underneath and let the drippings from the ham season your turkey as you smoke them both. YUMMY!! Watch out though...ham is very high in fat!!

Someone else (sorry, not good with names yet! ) said they had a 9 year old they were having trouble buying for. My son is very much into hunting and fishing. We bought him a gun last year and he has another one he wants this year. My husband is determined he's getting it, too. We have yet to find someone who has theone he wants in stock yet. But that's $400!!!! I'm against buying it for him because of the cost.....but I lost that battle: 1 to 1. We're also getting him a microscope (he's very into science type stuff). It's a pretty inexpensive one. He'll loveit though. He's getting clothes, too (I shop at Goodwill...get clothes cheap! lol) Also getting him a magician set (he loves magic, too). My child is weird...he wanted a drill press (yes, a real one) for Christmas 2 yrs ago....at 7 years old. DH owns a machine shop...so he's been around metal working tools his whole life. I guess he's got metal in his blood!

Guess I Need to get back to work.....LOTS to do!!!

PS Yes, we got him the drill press...he's used it maybe 5 times!

Last edited by GainingWeightInLa; 12-20-2007 at 10:55 AM.
GainingWeightInLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #3  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi All!

I had a 2nd interview this AM with a company that I originially interviewed with back in the beginning of November. If they offer, I will probably take it. I need to get past the loooong uphill walk from the parking lot to the building. I found out today though that they have a gym onsite, as well as a cafeteria that just opened a couple weeks ago. The position sounds good, although it could be a personality challenge with the woman I will be working for 1/2 the time.

My scale has been wonky this week. OK, it's not the scale, it's me...more than likely PMSing. Either that, or my body is holding onto all the blubber because of the cold weather! I've been up and down between 263 & 268! Today is a down day, thank goodness!

We usually have Turkey dinner all over again on Christmas, but this year my aunt is making a cidered pot roast. She said it's wonderful and I guess it does kind of sound good. I'm making the mashies and broccoli casserole, my cousin is making some other veggies. Aunt made lemon squares, peanut butter bars and will get a pie. We nixed the Christmas tree cake.

Alicia, I think it was you asking about ham?? We have had "fresh ham" (pork roast) on New Year's often. Sometimes regular pink ham. Usually comes with a seasoning packet. You could just buy a "spiral sliced" ham, which is already cooked and sliced, you just put it in the oven, pour some OJ over it, or cherry juice and maybe stick some of those little spice "pins" in it...what is that, allspice?? Whatever, I'm not real big on ham, but once a year is good. If you prefer spicy to sweet, you could make a mustard sauce. Wish I could remember Gran's.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/106

Height: 5'2

good morning!
Scary how quiet it is here today.
But hey we are here!

Alicia good luck painting! did you choose a color? For X-Mas dinner DH usually bbq's a Turkey and if we serve a ham we buy a spiral one at the grocery store, we cover it in pineapple and lots of cloves for the glaze DH makes it w/brown sugar orange juice some times he puts apricot preserves instead of the oj, a little bit on cider vinegar and maple syrup and we baste it and kind of at the same time it glaze it. It is sooo good, it adds lots of "layers: of flavor.

Hi Lauren, I will keep my for the job! it must be a large company. Sorry about the weight!

Diana my G-d we have a lot in common, my DH used to run a machine shop, same shop for 18 yrs. I didn't want him working around all the chemicals any longer. Then we went into sales. But DH/DS love to fish too, DH loves to hunt. I know a few people that shop at goodwill, I have in the past but not for clothing, we were looking for an old couch so we can take the frame and re upholster it , we had a really good luck w/it, we actually found one about 10 yrs ago, we still have it. What do you look for when you are buying clothes there, I hear you can even find brand new stuff w/tags??? Just curious! I am not a shopper I hate going to the stores and looking through stuff, I like to go in and buy and get out! DH on the other side is always looking for a good bargain and he compares prices, he looks around on and on, I am not patient at all, I see it I buy, I hate shopping at places were everything is in bins and disorganized (Nordstrom rack, TJ max, Ross....) DH has kind of gotten used to it and I learned to let him take his time. I'm weird! know! LOL

Last night I had my soup for dinner and took a shower, I was in bed by 8:30 PM, my stomach is feeling a little better but not 100%
Today I have to go pick Sean from school and go to therapy, then we are coming straight home, I am not doing anything else.
I got to go, the little dudes are barking at the door, there is someone there, I got to go answer
See you later!

Hanna
happy2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #5  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Lauren, that would be great, a job with a gym on site. Plus a cafateria, makes things conveient. Good luck.

Hanna, for the bedroom the color I think is called "pacific shoreline" I took Pam's suggestion and I have color cards all over my living room wall. DH and DD said they like the olive already in the living room. Actually, I wouldn't have picked out the color, but it looks good with our furniture. So I think I will be going along those lines. DH thinks I should paint the LR and DR the same color because they are somewhat together, but I want to paint them different. BTW, I was thinking about you and your stomach and was wondering if it was a symptom of the Fybromaligia?

Thanks for everyones input on the ham. I think you all have persuaded me against it. It may be too complicated for me, LOL. Maybe that's why I've never made one.

Still haven't left, waiting for the kiddos to get ready.

Talk later.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #6  
Diana

Hanna, if hubby and his dad didn't own the shop together, hubby would've sold it already. lol I think MIL and FIL see it as a source of security...which I totally understand....BUT....it'd sure be nice to sell and not have the headache. DH thinks about all those chemicals, too. Although, his Dad's a welder and is 62 and has hardly been sick a day in his life. I guess I'm hopin' DH has his good genes! As for the huntin and fishin', if DS and I weren't such big fishers and DS weren't a big hunter, my DH could care less if he ever did either again in his life! He's such a good hubby!!

As for Goodwill, I buy mostly my kids clothes there. Think about it...kids outgrow their clothes sooo fast (til a certain age, anyway)...most of the kids clothes there have hardly any wear on them. I've gotten some awesome stuff for both my 9 yr old and my 2 yr old! I LOVE GOODWILL!!!

Well, I just ate a Healthy Choice frozen dinner and will be soon heading to my son's school Christmas party. Will be lots of goodies there. I'm a little worried, especially since I'm still a little hungry. Wish me luck everyone!

TTYL

Last edited by GainingWeightInLa; 12-20-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #7  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Diana, STAY AWAY FROM THE GOODIES!!

You know, I think we just got a Goodwill store near us, I'll have to check it out because Peter could use some tops.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

Hi All ~ I took my two girls to see "The Nutcracker" a few nights ago and then last night I went with a friend to "Wicked." Very cool. We're going to my folks tomorrow evening to celebrate Christmas and then on Saturday another party. Sunday is my cocktail/cookie exchange party. I have so much to do still. I love this kind of stuff though!! Gotta go fix some dinner for the little monkeys. Hope that everyone is having a great week ~ Joan
IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

Alicia ~ I forgot to answer your ham question. Spiral sliced ham is on sale right now in the grocery stores and it is *so* easy. It's already fully cooked, sliced and comes with a little packet of glaze that you spread on top. Easy as can be and tastes great.

Gotta run... talk to everyone soon...
IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

hey all..crazy day at work...and im slightly mad at the other dr. She worked yesterday and did not call any of the call backs (ie clients with questions for the drs). She was in too much of a rush to do them...so i got stuck doing the few call backs. This isn't the first time its happened. It took me well over 45 minutes to do the crap she was too lazy to do. The receptionist said she was in a hurry last night and just rushed out. Heck i hate doing call backs sometimes too...but thats what we have to do! I eneded up having to be at work 45 min past normal due to call back and typing notes. But its part of the job. Its also not the first time its happened. I think she's really getting burned out. I'm worried that when she has her baby (due in June) she'll probably not return to work. Which in all honesty isn't a problem, except for the fact that it would be nice to have heads up??? but we'll see
Diana- that ham dh makes sounds good.
joan- howe was wicked...i'm reading the book right now...i really like it.
hannah - hope you feel better
hey to everyone else.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #11  
Diana

Well, the party was okay. I didn't eat anything while I was there (cookies, cupcakes, lots of chips, dip, candy, drinks....atleast 3 kids came and put cupcakes right in my face and asked me to take one--It was HARD!!!!! It smelled SOOOOOO good!! I was sooooo hungry!!!!) Remember the cookies I made yesterday for the party today? Well, I did end up eating two of them on my way back to work from the party today. I was sooo hungry my head was beginning to hurt. Sooo, I made hamburgers when I got home from work (93% FF hb meat). We had baked fries. Then I ate another bite of a cookie, a WW ice cream bar and a small bag of popcorn. I think I may have gone over today.........maybe. But not by much, I don't think. I don't feel terrible about today...although not really good. It was just a crazy day...and the closer to Christmas it gets, the harder it's getting to resist all the holiday foods! This weekend (probably Sunday) I'll be making spinach dip, more cookies, a couple more desserts and who knows what else!! It won't be easy, but atleast if I'm mindful of what I'm doing I'll do better than if I weren't being mindful of it "Because it's the holidays." Let's encourage each other, ladies!!!!! We're all gonna need it!

Well, I guess I'm off. I have tons to do, but am bored 'cause I don't want to do any of it! Guess I'll relax instead. Have a great night, all!!

TTYL.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 138/106

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone!

Diana you did great! all thought it is not good that you are getting a headache from not eating. Can you carry w/you snacks like carrots and celery, nuts are a great idea too. I am going to check and see if there is a Goodwill store near by, I like your idea of buying clothes for the kids there, Sean does outgrow clothes rather fast, not to mention stain them and put holes on the pants right away.

GG sorry to hear about the job stuff. Are you happy working for them? They do give you good incentives though, that has to be good!

Joan the cookie exchange sounds great! you have been working really hard on your cookies! Take some pics.

Well today started very relaxing, almost too relaxing. I answered the door and there stands my neighbor with a bag of stuff in her hands, she comes in and wants to bake something for the "holidays" to get in the mood, I was not in the mood to bake so I told her to leave the stuff here and we can bake over the weekend, she was OK w/that, I just didn't feel like baking and do all the cleaning afterwords, I just wanted to take it easy, we had a cup of coffee and chatted for a little while, she had a blast at Disneyland, then I came upstairs and laid down for "just a few minutes" well, the few minutes turned in to a little more than that, when I opened my eyes it was 12:15 PM I jumped in the shower and got ready really fast! I left the house in a rush expecting lots of traffic on the way to Sean's school as the weather was just horrible, but there was no traffic! I got there a lot sooner than I need to, that was good. The afternoon was great, relaxing as well, for a change! Then Sean sat to eat dinner and I got distracted for a few minutes when the phone rang, I look at his plate and his salad was almost all gone, he loves salad, then I look down and the little dudes are covered and I mean covered in salad dressing and spinach, Sean dabbed his spoon into the salad dressing and dripped them w/it and then throw some spinach on them, I was but at the same time I was laughing watching the dogs smothered in salad dressing. Had to give them a bath.
Now I am waiting for DH to come home from work and have a nice evening.
I will talk to you tomorrow
Hanna
happy2be is offline   Reply With Quote