Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/see signature line/140

Height: 5'3

Default Dieting w/back problems

I have been exercising on and off for the past year and thankfully have lost 15 pounds overall. I still have quite a bit to go though. On Sunday I threw out my back. I was on a decent regiment of exercising in the morning (30 Day Shred) but now that my back is out I've been laying around and I find it harder to stick to my diet plan. It hurts to do much of anything and have muscle relaxers and pain killers plus going to an acupuncturist. I feel like I need to do something to keep me somewhat on track before I get too far off the wagon. Should I just restrict my caloric intake? I can walk for about 15 minutes before my back starts hurting. Also trying to stretch some as well. I thought about getting in the pool, but with the heat the pools are packed. Anyone else have back issues? How do you deal with this setback?
zaarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I would suggest just keeping on your plan (the eating part); and as for the walking, just do 5 minutes, several times a day. That way, you won't bother your back. When my back acts up, which happens quite often, becuz I have Spina Bifida, that is what I do so I don't gain ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #3  

Height: 6-1.5

If you are insured, try to go to a chiropractor. I found it really gets you up and going faster than just letting it heal naturally. I have had a lot of back issues. I go to a chiropractor when/ if I have the money. It takes several "visits" for one problem, but I have never gone so long between back problems as I had when I went to a chiropractor. I have not had a back problem since 2005.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/219/150

Height: 5'2

I also see a chiropractor and he is the best. I also use a excercise ball and do light exercises on it like hip twists and leg stretches while sitting on the ball. I feel the ball is low impact.
I have Fibromyalgia, 3 herniated disks, Degenerative Joint Disease, and Osteoarthritis. So I am in lots of pain 24-7. I am on a lot of pain medication that I feel adds to my weight problems.
Duchesssammi is offline   Reply With Quote