Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #1  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Default There goes exercise this week

I just fell and I'm pretty sure I sprained my ankle. It's throbbing and swelling.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Injuries stink!

Can you lift UB? Get on the ground and do some ab work, even leg work not affecting the ankle? I always tried to supplement with weights when I lost the ability to get much cardio. You can get a pretty good heartrate increase throwing punches/boxing, too, and you don't have to bear weight to do it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hon!!! First things first:
RICE
Rest your leg. Right away. Stop what you are doing, and put your leg up.
Ice it -- this reduces the swelling. Use a bag of frozen peas, but protect your skin with a thin piece of fabric, like a tea towel.
Compress it -- use a tensor bandage around it to give it support.
Elevate it -- get the blood from pooling in the are.

DON'T keep on it. Just stop, and do the first aid treatment. You can take Motrin for pain and reduction of swelling, too, to make you more comfortable.

If you can't put weight on it, or feel that it hurts "too much" (if you know what I mean), get to an emergency room. Also, if you have weird bruising around your toes or anywheres on your foot/ankle, get it checked out because it might be a fracture.

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

I'm still healing from a shoulder injury so I'm limited in what I can do with weights as well. I'm falling apart here!!! SHEESH. I've done ice, elevation and I'm going to go upstairs and get my wrap. I don't think I need to see a doctor or anything. I usually don't go for sprains. I'll load up on some turmeric (it's anti inflammatory) and probably do some clay soaks. It's been almost two hours and it hasn't turned any colors but it is definitely swelling. This poor ankle has been sprained so many times.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I fell on Sunday hiking and my booty is a bit sore from it. Sorry to hear about your ankle.

Can you do some upper body boxing moves? (no weight?)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know that once an ankle is injured, it seems to be a MAGNET for more injuries...thank GOODNESS you haven't broken anything. But it does put a huge wrench into your exercise program, for SURE...
I'm sure that you know about swimming pool exercises, and that you'll do what it takes to not get injured somewheres ELSE (shoulder? ankle? MAN).
I didn't know about the tumeric! How do you take it? Sounds like a silly question, but I have only used tumeric in curries! So, do you use it like a poultice?
Anyways, take it easy, and I'm sorry your ankle hurts...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-23-2009 at 01:12 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/230/165

Height: 5ft 7in

Give it a week of rest, and slowly work your way back. If you rush it, it will only get worse. You don't want that.
arc1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #8  
Hug a Tree!

I never rush with injuries. If anything, I wait much longer than I need. I can be a little overly cautious which is probably not really a bad thing. Except for my knee...because it's been years and years and I got tired of waiting, ha!

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 06-23-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #9  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

My high school gym actually had an arm bike...I used it for rehab when I had a shoulder injury. That could be a way to get your heart rate up without using your ankle...if you can find a machine. Otherwise maybe google to get some ideas of exercises you can do with a sprained ankle? You don't want to injure something else by overcompensating on another muscle group, like hurting your back doing too many crunches or something.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

I don't think my shoulder could do an arm bike right now. I'm having trouble doing normal things like using the vacuum. I do know my gym has at least one because there is an older man who uses it all the time. We have a warm water pool. Maybe I could go use that.