Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Default I need to thank Dotti

I meant Bobbi (bobolink?)

I think it was you who recently posted something about doing some arm exercises by holding weights out in front of you and drawing the alphabet in the air as large as you can with your hands.

I have a lot of trouble doing any kind of exercises, and am always trying new things to see what works and doesn't hurt too much and I thought this sounded pretty easy (It's not! ). So I just tried it with my 3 lb weights, and I was able to do the whole alphabet once...just barely. My arms were shaking for a long time afterward, and my heartbeat was up. But the good news is that it didn't make my shoulders pop and hurt like the stretchie bands do or just lifting the weights. I don't know why, but I can do this. I just wanted to thank you for this new exercise that I'm hoping may help me strengthen my shoulders a bit, and for sure it will strengthen my arms and maybe give me a bit of an aerobic workout too.

And then I started thinking. I can't do any other exercises either because of a bad back and a knee injury...so what if I tried sitting in a chair with my legs out in front of me, and do the alphabet with my feet? Well, I tried it and I can do it with my good leg (although I started cramping..it's quite a workout when you aren't in shape)...then I tried it with my bad leg, and that hurt the knee too much, but it got me thinking. What if I stand on my good leg on a small step, while holding onto something for balance, and hold my bad leg out to the side a bit, the do the alphabet in the air beneath my leg. That way I shouldn't be stressing the knee much at all.

I haven't tried it yet. I will find my little step tomorrow and give it a shot, but you may have just inspired me with a way to actually start incorporating some exercise back into my new plan for weight loss.

I cannot thank you enough!

Last edited by recidivist; 01-10-2009 at 05:49 PM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

RECIDIVIST ~ GEE, thanks for sharing those ideas over here in the obstacles thread; my legs and shoulders are so bad. I tried the arms with 2 lb weights and did the whole alphabet, but boy, do you sure feel that in the arms.

I also do exercises with my legs laying in bed before I get up in the morning; and later in the day, I lay on the couch and I do legs lifts and leg fans (got this from a gym many years ago); do enuff of those and you really feel the heat. I also do tummy tucks and butt squeezes too. But hey, whatever works, right? I put my hands on my kitchen counter and do some leg squats and leg lifts from the sides, each day to strengthen my legs. You can sit and do calf curls as well; they really make your calves burn ... hope these help you, in return.

I will also try the alphabet on the legs; I do have to be careful of one knee that likes to remove itself from the socket though. Gotta watch that one! Anyways, thanks again for sharing ... Rosebud

Edit: tried both legs sitting on a chair and though had to stop a few times, I did manage to do them all.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-10-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

That alphabet routine sounds great . . . I'm going to give it a try. . . . Thanks to all of you --
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Rosebud, my sis lost a lot of weight a long time ago and she said one of her ways of staying in shape (other than walking her dogs every day) is doing legs lifts whenever she is in the kitchen prepping food. Hah! I wonder if it helps keep her out of the kitchen...now there's a thought. You only get to eat if you work out while doing it.

I did try the alphabet with one leg, while standing on a stool, and guess what it worked out the most? The buttocks of the leg you are standing on! So now I'm doing that with both legs.

Last edited by recidivist; 01-11-2009 at 03:38 PM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #5  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

You're welcome! I think you added another great twist to the ABC exercise. Sitting and doing it with your legs would be a great work-out for your stomach muscles.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote