Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Thought I had a good idea, turned into a terrible one!!

So, I had started a weight loss vlog on youtube... Talking about prior experiences, weight loss issues, disordered eating, etc...

I was excited to think that maybe I would have some visible readers, accountability and a "paper trail" so to speak of my progress....

It wasnt even a day or two that I had them up, I got the most terrible comments, hate mail, threats....

A lot of "You're fat, why should anyone care about what you do or think?!"
and then a lot of other comments supporting those thoughts... emails telling me to "do the world a favor and kill your fat a**", etc...

Needless to say, after having them up for a week or two, hoping for some word of encouragement, and just getting daily emails and comments of hatred of fat people who really think we are just worthless... I started to internalize it all!!! I found myself really thinking "Does everyone look at me and think I am irrevelvant? Is this what people think but won't say to my face? Am I really that awful?" So I ended up deleting my videos completely and giving up on the idea.

Has anyone ever had luck with anything like this?!

Last edited by KateRN; 10-29-2008 at 12:21 AM.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I didn't do a vlog, but I had a video up on there of my riding my dirtbike and got comments like that. I took it down as well. Now all I have up on there are my dogs. Very careful to not have myself visible in any of them. What a world
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

People are so cruel.

You should have posted your link on here! We totally would have encouraged you.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

YouTube is the dregs of the internet. The absolute dregs. It's not just vlogs -- every conceivable video on YouTube is filled with hateful, bigoted, absolutely moronic comments. It's astounding!

Don't feel badly about yourself because of this, though. Focus on communities like this, filled with caring supportive people.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

Height: 5'7

Youtube is a place for geeky teenage boys who get picked on at high school to go and pick on someone else without having to show their face.
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 100/98.7/50

Height: 165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbytummy View Post
YouTube is the dregs of the internet. The absolute dregs. It's not just vlogs -- every conceivable video on YouTube is filled with hateful, bigoted, absolutely moronic comments. It's astounding!

Don't feel badly about yourself because of this, though. Focus on communities like this, filled with caring supportive people.
agreed! it's usually people who have zero imagination that are trolling for something to do. the attempt to be funny is just so sad and attention whoring. ignore them!
applekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #7  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

People who hate everybody considered 'fat' have issues about themselves and insecurities so deep that they can automatically hate a whole stereotype of people without knowing them.

You're better than that, so take what they say with a pinch of salt. The only people who are missing out are idiots like these. Make the world a better place by being yourself and not letting them get to you. You're strong - they're not, so keep going

Last edited by Spoz; 10-29-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbytummy View Post
Totally agree with that, and with Hypra. People have nothing better to do than to make hateful, horrible and idiotic comments to justify their existence, or sumpin

WE support you!!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #9  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

oh thats terrible KateRN, the closest experience i've had to that is 4 years ago when i was a newbie on myspace, someone sent a friend request he looked really young but i was just happy to have a myspace friend and a couple days later he left a comment on my profile saying i should go on slimfast.

at least our "problems" we can change with our diets etc. their problems need serious help that may never get fixed i feel sorry for them because with their attitudes they will have a hard time going through life!
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 325/see ticker/180

Height: 5'3

im sorry they did that to you.. i only go on youtube to watch old episodes of biggest loser.. uk, aus, and american.. anyhow, the comments left on those are warm and caring.. im so sorry yours werent
Americaninuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It doesn't matter WHAT you put on sites like that, there are always people who will trash you. Now you know! There is absolutely no need to take it personally.

As for the real world, yes, there are some people out there on the street who see you (or me, or anyone) and think unkind thoughts. So what? Why would the random opinion of a complete stranger mean anything? Unless you think everyone is more important than you...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

I don't even read the comments on YouTube anymore because they're just filled with trolls (and not even interesting ones). I once saw a video of a women re-learning how to walk and even THAT was filled with page after age of junk responses.

Definitely don't take it personally. Sometimes the internet just sucks
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I posted on facebook wrt a singer I like ... even that got a troll response.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #14  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
People who hate everybody considered 'fat' have issues about themselves and insecurities so deep that they can automatically hate a whole stereotype of people without knowing them.

Absolutely agree.

Kate - I think the idea of a vblog is wonderful. Don't know if there is a way to filter or block comments or not . . . guess that would defeat the purpose though. It ticks me off to no end that because of pea-brained wingnuts you no longer feel you can have a vlog and your only option is to not have one. It's like somehow, they won. It's so hard not to take what they spew personally. It amazes me how small minded some people are. Perhaps there are other venues similar to a vlog that you could explore. Nice to know that here no one will treat you that way.

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #15  
No description available.

Aw, Kate. Sometimes the internet provides a forum for mean people. I have to say that's one reason why I like 3FC so much---trolls are few, far between, and quickly zapped by the mod squad. I think a weight loss vlog is a great idea; I'm sorry that other people had to be so awful about it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote