Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Walking for maintenance?

I've been working out five days a week since July 31, 2007. Generally, other than a few instances where the gym was closed, I have pretty much stuck to the same routine (recumbent bike and weights MWF, elliptical trainer Tues&Thurs).

It's taken me a year, but I'm SO bored with the routine!! I want to put in a workout video during the week, like Turbo Jam (which I've read good things about) but we're tight on cash right now so it'll have to wait.

I'm also interested in walking/jogging. But every time I've gone...wow. SO sore I can barely function for DAYS. Like the last time, I did two miles. I walked an entire lap, then jogged/walked a lap in 100 meter intervals, walked one, walked/jogged one, then jogged an entire lap and so on. I could barely move the next day, or the second day, or the third.

Any advice on what to do to make this better?

Also, I'm at my maintenance point right now. Will walking/jogging burn enough calories to help me maintain if I did it a couple of days a week? Just looking at the calorie burning totals, it doesn't look as if walking gets anywhere NEAR as many calories off as the recumbent bike, and certainly not as many as the elliptical.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

I'm not an expert and I know someone will answer this better than i can. I'm been on maintenace for 7 months now and I walk and lift weights for exercise. And you've already found out that walking/running is good exercise. It's hitting those muscles that the other work outs didn't, or you wouldn't be so sore. Working out to the point that you can't do any more for 3 days is too much. Start slow.

There are lots of good tapes out there but they can get expensive, especially if you get one and decide you don't like it. I go to the library and get them before I buy them. if your local library doesn't have the one you want ask them to get it for you. They can "borrow" it from another library.

Good luck
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

The library is a good place for videos, agreed! There are some routines on Exercise.TV for free. I tried different routines and different instructors before I bought their videos on half.com.

I love walking. It is a mainstay for me. While I am not yet in maintenance mode, it has been wonderful exercise while losing weight. And it is free
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I've had the "Couch to 5K" program recommended to me....it's my goal to start next week! Thanks, guys!!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I already commented on this elsewhere. Guess you're on my other board too.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote