Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/153/125

Height: 5'9"

Default Master Cleanse/Lemonade Diet/etc

I was just wondering if anyone's tried this "cleansing" diet and if it worked. I would really like to try it out just to "flush" my system, but I'm not sure what it will be like. Has anyone tried this out?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Are you talking about the "Master Cleanse"?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Yep, that's the "diet" Beyonce went on and lost a chunk of weight quickly.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #4  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

A friend of mine tried it...she lasted 9 days I think. She lost about 7lbs I believe and within 3 days of eating again had gained 4lbs back. I think the idea behind these kinds of cleanses isn't supposed to be weight loss, that's just an added incentive for a lot of people. The cleanses are just supposed to detox your system (and some would argue they aren't necessary for that either). If you're doing it to detox your system that's one thing, but I wouldn't bank on any long term weight loss results.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

Did it for 7 days before I finally started feeling sick. The grossest part was drinking the salt water. A bunch of us went on this together, none of us lost weight. We were still consuming 1200 calories a day from the lemons/syrup and it cost me $100 to buy all the stuff.

Last edited by ShannanA; 04-16-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

It's gimmicky and ridiculous, at best and potentially harmful and even possibly dangerous as I see it. There's no magical chemical thing that occurs when mixing and drinking these concoctions.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #7  
1st 10% goal - 175.5 lbs

S/C/G: 195/187/140

Height: 5'4"

Think of these old remedies: Syrup in baby bottles to relieve their constipation. Drinking epsom salts to relieve constipation.

If you want to cleanse for cleansing's sake, then this should work. But I don't believe doctors recommend you do it frequently. You can damage what was otherwise already working properly.

I've never seen the point of cleansing to lose weight. Poop away the pounds! Celebrities pack it on, and then quick fix slough it off, to get roles. They put their bodies through yo-yo he11. If you ask me, "cleansing" was Hollywood quick fix to get in that red carpet gown, which has been misconstrued and exploited as a weight loss & spiritual cash cow.

People wouldn't need 'cleansing' if they were eating properly, taking lots of water, & exercising. They would also fit in their clothes. Just my 2¢.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 162/143/129

Height: 5'4

I tried it for 7 days. I lost 7 lbs. Most of it was water weight and other "stuff". I think 3 lbs was real weight because after I started to eat again (healthy foods) I didn't gain it all back. If you have health issue check with your doctor. I didn't, I'm anemic and my arms started to go numb on the 7th day.

I know people who have successfully completed 10 to 20 days and felt fine. They loose up to 20 lbs but if you aren't careful with your eating aftewards the weight will come back.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #9  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

I tried it about 10 years ago as part of a class at massage school. I lasted 4 days, don't remember if I lost any weight. The stuff tastes good I have to say. I didn't/wouldn't do the epsom salts thing.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
It's gimmicky and ridiculous, at best and potentially harmful and even possibly dangerous as I see it. There's no magical chemical thing that occurs when mixing and drinking these concoctions.
Totally agree with this.

Further, your body doesn't need to be "cleansed" like that. Your body is perfectly able to get rid of toxins on it's own. The best way to help your body do it's job of "cleansing" is to eat healthily and drink lots of water.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
The best way to help your body do it's job of "cleansing" is to eat healthily and drink lots of water.

Yep!
Old 07-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Just to be different:
I did the master cleanse in 1995 and lasted 25 days and felt wonderful. It was a really stressful time and I had eczema up my arms that looked like burns (so bad the neighbour saw me on the street and pulled over to ask what I had done) and I was breaking out in boils. My skin cleared up and yes I lost 20 pounds. After a move and a few winters of suffering from SAD and depression I gained a lot of new weight. But thankfully the eczema hasn't returned like that.

But like most said you aren't really cutting the calories as you still take in up to 1200 a day and eating real food is so much more satisfying. If you are still interested I'd recommend you get the book "The Master Cleanser" by Stanley Burroughs since its his plan and do a lot of research as its awfully hard and if you go back to eating and living the way you were before you gain everything back. For just weight loss I'd really recommend making sustainable life changes not going for the quick fixes.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I was watching a bunch of (random weight loss) videos on youtube last night and every single one I saw that talked about master cleanse said they felt horrible, had to stop early and saw little or no results.

Maybe it works on the rare individual but overall I'd call it a gimick...and an unhealthy one at that.

I did download a few, but they were all pilates workouts.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/129.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

Denise Richardson tried it on her reality show last night and about threw-up. Honestly, it can't be that healthy. Whatever weight you lose would be mostly water, and you would probably gain it back. Any quick fix doesn't really last
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #15  
Gym Bunny

S/C/G: 71.6/58.7/50kg OR 157/129/110

Height: 164cm

Its called the lemon detox diet in Australia.....I looked into doing it.....very costly....they sell alot of the syrup on ebay......mostly by people who brought it for the diet and fell off the wagon haha.
Closed Thread