South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #1  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Default Going to start SBSC on June 22....

So I got the book and have read through most of it and have decided to go for it ......I will start on Sunday June 22 (going to a wedding this weekend but will be coming home on sunday). I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice or things to watch for or avoid etc during the first few days of phase one.....or if there is anyone else out there starting SB on the weekend that would like to buddy up that would be great to.....I really want to make this work......thanks everyone.....
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #2  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

Hi!! I am starting SBD on the 24th. The 23rd is my birthday and I don't want to start it then because I know I'm going out for dinner and stuff for that. So Tuesday it is. I have posted on the other thread about newbies also. But if you want to buddy up, I'm game. Let's keep each other accountable!! Good luck!!

laurie
chiquita623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/144/122

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations!!!!
You're making a big step in the right direction!
Some folks experience a "South Beach Flu" the first few days - but I didn't experience that at all. My biggest enemy was my own bad habits. I had this habit of needing a rather substantial sweet and salty snack at about 4 every afternoon (chips and soda would do nicely). So, on day 1 & 2 - I found myself automatically thinking about it - I just had to remind myself that this behavior is what landed me here in the first place...But after about the 5th day - ALL cravings were gone. So, my best advice is - ride out the first few days and it will get SOOOO much easier - you just won't believe it! Good luck! You can do it!
chronicdieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Be sure you check into the Ph1 starters thread and you will find other chicks that are currently on Ph1.
Make sure you eat your beans and lowfat dairy every day, this will really help with the SB flu symptoms. Depending on how your diet has been, you may not have a lot of this, but be prepared to ride it out for a few days if you feel yucky, headachey, or tired. If you don't feel up to it, don't worry about exercising those days. Don't go hungry. And I would advise that some chicks drop a lot on Ph1 and some don't, but don't worry if you don't. Try to keep in mind that the purpose of Ph1 is to break the sugar cycle and normalize your blood chemistry. It's an important phase as it will prepare you to be successful with Ph2. Good luck to you ladies and welcome to the Beach!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #5  
NewnamesamePam

S/C/G: 287/247/135

Height: 5'7"

Smile I am going to re-start Phase I on Sunday June 22nd too

I began SBD on January 1st of this year. I have done Phase One once before in March. I felt that I was doing well until I moved the third week of April. Since that time I have been yo-yoing up and down the same 5-8 lbs.

I know many of the people here can tell you what they are doing right to succeed --well, I will tell you what I have done wrong---if it helps anyone else, then maybe it has been worth sharing.

1) I am an recovering emotional eater. I really had my ducks in a row for many years until my Mom was diagnosed with two types of cancer this past Christmas. I live 1000 miles from my sister and Dad. My long distance bill has been high as I have had to discuss with my sister a lot of really key decisions regarding Mom's health. She has had cancer surgery, two strokes, two heart attacks, ongoing sepsis (blood infection) and pneumonia. I am grateful she is still alive but she has really been through a lot and so have we who have had to navigate through the health care system to get her the treatment she needs and deserves. In the meantime, my Dad's health has begun to wobble. He has been accessed a "vulnerable adult".

It has been a very difficult time for me. I am afraid that my ability to stick with anything has really been tested. There have been times when I wondered if I should even be attempting a diet during this time.

I hate to admit this but there have been too many times when I "allowed" myself to eat off-plan, if for no other reason than because "I wanted to". Again, "treating" myself with food to relieve a lot of anxiety and high nerves. I wish I weren't such an emotional person but I am. I pray about everything and yet I still worry about what I prayed about. Go figure!

I am not like you younger ones who can afford to eat whatever I want. I have a strong family history of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and arthritis in my family. I feel God lead me to South Beach Diet. I just feel blessed to have discovered this preventive way of eating. Now, if I can just get my act together and follow it then I will much better for it.

My saving strength is that I am not a quitter. I will not give up on myself. Now, all I want to be is a loser.

I would like to believe that I have lost a few battles but the victor in this war remains to be undetermined. I plan for it to be me!!

Last edited by PamByr; 06-20-2008 at 04:27 PM.
PamByr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

welcome to the beach greeneyes!
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

and welcome Pam! good luck
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #8  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Hi PamByr,
There is nothing that I can say that will take away from the health issues your family is dealing with at the moment....I also had a battle when my dad was diagnosed with brain, and bone cancer a few years back and I turned to food for comfort and every other reason in the book.....I honestly don't think I would have been in any shape mentally to follow a diet at that point, but having said that I also hadn't found a plan that I felt I could live with until now....that could have been the difference for me back then...... all I know is my eating badly didn't change any of the events that were happening around me except i got fat and unhealthy....and am paying for it now. So I guess if I could tell you anything it would be to try to follow the plan and remember why you are doing it.....so you live a long and healthy life. Again I am very sorry for what you and your family are going through and will hope for the best......
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote