PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #1  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Default first time on metformin have some questions..

So My doc diagnosed me with PCOS and put me on metformin for what reason I have no idea! She said that my hormone levels were normal and that I'm on the low side of the spectrum for/with PCOS. My periods are regular or have been for the past few months. I have no pre diabetes or diabetes my glucose level was normal so I guess my questions are: did she do it for the weight issue with PCOS? Will this mess with my periods and normal hormone levels? I'm on 500mg once a day and she said to take it at night before bed. Do I continue to take them until my refills run out and then go back in and see her and have her recheck my levels, but they are normal so what is the point in that right? GAH I'm sooo confused and no sure of what to do. Also will it mess with my already normal cycles? TIA!!
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

I did a google search on PCOS and metformin and there is information out there. Including on an ovarian cyst / PCOS website.

You should read it.

I personally don't know how it will affect you but apparently it's not that odd to prescribe metformin for women with PCOS.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

It seems she may have put you on Met automatically just because you are diagnosed. My doctor wanted me to take it but I declined, since there are natural ways to controlling/reversing PCOS. Since you have minimal symptoms, why put a drug in your body? It is only masking PCOS, not reversing it. It is very sad that doctors are so quick to just prescribe medications, and are not educated in alternative methods.

I would listen to your body. If you feel significantly better on Met, then maybe it's a good choice. But it's still a drug, and one must decide if it's a life-long solution. Most drugs are only a temporary solution, and are marketed heavily just to make $$. I know that Met can be live-saving for diabetics but sometimes it is overly prescribed. So do some research yourself and make sure you're comfortable with your decision Again, it may be a good decision for you!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #4  
i WANT this...bad

I don't even know if I want to take it because it messes with the insulin absorbtion (sp?) I don't want to get off it and be diabetic or anything like that. I don't have pre diabetes so what is it going to help? The testosterone levels I guess. I think I'm going to wait on it and not take it today until I can get ahold of her and ask what exactly I am taking it for.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #5  
Spiritual Being

S/C/G: 155/152/135

Height: 5' 6''

Hi! SephyFowl! Here is my story.

I have PCOS, and I am non-IR. I have had somewhat regular cycles (35 - 52 days) and have always ovulated on my own. My hormone levels are all normal. My only symptoms were the "string of pearls" on my ovaries and the physical symptoms, i.e. adult acne, irregular hair, weight gain, etc..

My doc & I agreed to put me on Met XR to control my PMS symptoms & weight gain. I suffer from severe menstrual migraines, and Met controls them. I have only been on my full dose (2500 mg) for about a month now.

One of the advantages that I now have, my last cycle was perfectly regular. It is nice to set a clock on my cycle for once.

Ask your doc why she/he wants you on it? There are lots of natural ways to control your PCOS. Good luck with your appt.. I have my yearly on May 8th, so I will post on how my appt. goes.
rnntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #6  
i WANT this...bad

Thanks everyone(I forgot to thank you other girls). I had my ultrasound done today and that was after the prescription. It was odd to see my ovaries and all that. I had the same "string of pearls", but they were just follicles only one being dominant and it wasn't big enough to be called a cyst, wasn't 3cm. What I understand from the U/S tech is that they don't qualify it as a cyst if it isn't 3cm or mm I don't remember now. I do suffer from the adult acne and irregular hair, but that stuff is just cosmetic to the other symptoms PCOSers have. I will just wait until the U/S's are read and get the information then and see if I should take the Met and if it's worth it.