Old 09-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #1  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Question Body Fat %

Ok, I want to know how to measureo r find out how much body fat I have, and what it normal for a person my height, etc.... anyone give me any help with this??
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #2  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

there's a place online .. can't think of it right now.. But do a search for BMI.. there are several calculators online & they usually tell you what is normal, etc
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:54 PM   #3  

I have a scale that measures body fat percentage (the Tanita Ultimate Scale), but LockItUp apparently has the same one and says it's way inaccurate (and I trust her). I think you can get it done at a gym.. or perhaps a doctor's office. As for normal ranges, I think this does it (for women at least):

Body Fat Percentages

Fat Level, Women (%)
Very Low 14-17
Low 17-20
Average 20-27
High 27-31
Very High above 31

Hope that helps
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Another way to find out your body fat percentage would be at a gym.I don't consider my scale reliable for measurement,it says my body fat is 41%.A gym would have a more accurate machine for measuring.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hey. Brit is right, my scale is horribly inaccurate for body fat %. According to it I have been about 40% body fat from 175 pounds until now. I hate it for that, haha.

You can get it measured at any gym, or buy one of those hand held electro impedance ones. I think those ones are pretty good, maybe a little spendy though. I measured mine with those and with calipers and it was within a half percent of each other. Since I work at a gym and have memberships to 2 other gyms I can do mine whenever I want, but if you don't have someone kind of experience to do the caliper measurements they can be as inaccurate as my stupid scale. The best way is to get dunked, but that gets expensive and you can't always find somewhere to get that done all the time. Hope that helped a little.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #6  
Workin' My *** Off!

Thanks for the help girls! I found this site online, http://bestofweightloss.com/plan/measuring.html and it has a Excel page that you can check out...and it gives you the formula for measuring your body fat % Without getting one of those contraptions.... LOL

Steph, or anyone who already knows their BMI, can you check it out and see if it is accurate?? If it's not than I won't bother... Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:31 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I went to the site and surprising to me, it was the exact same percent as both other ways I have been measured.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #8  
Workin' My *** Off!

YAY!!!!!!! Thanks for checking that out for me Steph!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Mickey View Post
Steph, or anyone who already knows their BMI, can you check it out and see if it is accurate?? If it's not than I won't bother... Thanks a bunch!!!
It sounds like you're comparing BMI and body fat %...just want to make sure you know they are two very different things. It's actually possible to be obese by BMI standards yet have a very low body fat percentage (as is the case for many major-league athletes).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #10  
Workin' My *** Off!

Hey Jill,

I actually put BMI instead of Body fat... OOPS! My bad! But I knew what I meant... LOL! I was reading two things at once, and get them all jumbled... HEhe!