Old 09-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #1  

Default How can I relax?

Hi ladies!

I was wondering, how can I relax???

Here's the thing...whenever I diet or actually try to lose weight and put forth the effort, I am burden with anxiety and I obsess about food, exercise, calories, the scale, the way my clothes fit, I cannot sleep at night thinking about it -- I'm a mess!

On the other hand, ALL of the other times that I have EVER lost weight, it was completely accidental! I started law school two years ago and was so busy (and worked so damn hard) that I lost 15 lbs. Once in college the weight just fell off. Same for high school.

I just wish I could get to a point of relaxation because I know I will lose then.

Thanks for reading!
WhitWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

That's a hard question... but I think you did kind of answer it for yourself. I know when I'm busy, I don't have a lot of time to think about my weight, which helps me feel like the process of losing weight is natural rather than forced. Maybe you're not busy enough right now to satisfy your energy level, so your mind turns to weight as an endless occupation... if that's the case, you could find some new activity to get involved in.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #3  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

You stated what you needed to do. Keep busy! Also, remember..the weight seems to come off easier when you're not obsessing, etc... Use that as motivation to not obsess.
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:40 PM   #4  

your question is "how can I relax?" and the answers you get are "don't let yourself relax!" I know that's the apparent solution, I just think it's funny. But really, I agree... keep your mind occupied otherwise. Maybe join a book club! Do something so that you don't have time or energy to obsess about weight loss...
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #5  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

I obsess alot about things (weightloss and other stuff) alot when i'm trying to fall asleep. Something that helps me is keeping a notebook by the bed. If i have some kind of idea or remember something i want to do, etc. I write it down. Once something is on paper, its much easier for my brain to let go and relax.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #6  
Goodbye Fat!

I tend to obsess about food. Not the bad food that I shouldn't eat, but I can eat, how many calories, grams of fat and protein, am I going to go over on my calories and what I should eat if I go out to eat. So what I do is plan all of my meals and snacks a day or two ahead of time, buy all the stuff and stick too it. Therefore I don't have to obsess about it because the decision is already made.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #7  
Taking It Off For Good!!!

S/C/G: 164/149/130

What about maybe some Yoga or some meditation? Times that you can just concentrate on your breathing etc.

I feel your pain about not being able to relax though. But my problem is always when Im too busy. I start to feel overwhelmed with all the things I have to do.. and then when I throw my life style changes on top of that I really can get bogged down. Isn't it funny how we all have different ways of handling things
Slimming Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #8  

Thanks ladies!

I have been walking 4-5 days per week, but now I have decided to strive to go daily.

Also, planning meals does not work for me. I find that I might not want to eat what I have planned for the meal, I don't have a taste for it. Then I am disappointed or unsatisfied.

So I have decided to still count calories, but only have healthy stuff in the house. I am going to continue journaling, and I have a rule that I must wait 3 hours before eating again. And I'm going to have every minute of the day scheduled. School is picking up (i'm a 3rd year law student now!) so it won't be too hard to stay busy
WhitWhit is offline   Reply With Quote