Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/196/150

Height: 5'6

Default tricky scale?!

My scale never seems to give me a good reading on my weight. Maybe it's just an excuse who knows! All i know however is that i can gain a pound within a day by not doing anything bad. Is it water weight? or is it a bad scale?!

What kind of scale does everyone use?

My scale is digital. Are the "old fashion" ones better?

Thanks in advance!
alisonordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Mine is a digital Weight Watchers scale and mine is just as flaky. I can weigh, wait 5 minutes and weigh again and get a 2 pound difference in either direction. DRIVES ME NUTS! I mean come on, 2 pounds can make or break your weekly weigh in. I always wondered, does it matter where i stand on the scale, like how my feet are placed on it or am i shifting my weight differently...i give up. I just try not to let it get to me, at least over all it is going down, so i will be happy with that, but i KNOW what you mean.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Most people say that you shouldn't weigh yourself everyday because your body weight flucuates from day to day, mostly because of water weight. Try only weighing yourself once a week or once a month, even. It'll more than likely give you a more accurate reading.

If you think you're scale is funky, find something that you KNOW weighs a certain amount, like a 5 lb dumbell for instance. See what it says, if it says 5 lbs, then you know your scale is just a normal ol' scale.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #4  

omg i totally had an "i want to throw u off my balcony" moment with my scale this morning!!! my sister's wedding is this weekend so i have tried to be sooo careful and eat sooo healthy, and from yesterday to today it says i GAINED 3 pounds WTF
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
Most people say that you shouldn't weigh yourself everyday because your body weight flucuates from day to day, mostly because of water weight. Try only weighing yourself once a week or once a month, even. It'll more than likely give you a more accurate reading.
ding ding ding! We have a winner! Your body weight fluctuates not only daily, but even throughout the day. You normally weigh a different amount before bed than you do first thing in the morning. Our bodies are CONSTANTLY doing things other than just dealing with our food and drinks. Water plays a HUGE role, as do hormones, exercise, sodium, illness, and SO many other things. These all cause normal fluctuations in weight. Unless you literally eat at least 3500 calories MORE than you burned (which is quit a challenge!), then it's not a pound of fat you've gained. Likewise, if you're down 2 pounds from the day before, chances are, you did NOT burn 2 pounds of fat (over 7000 calories) in 24 hours. If you can't handle seeing the daily fluctuations on the scale, then weigh yourself less frequently (weekly or monthly, as suggested).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

The water weight thing makes sense and i understand that but it doesnt explain a 5 minute weigh in difference. From day to day, yeah, but not minute to minute difference.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #7  

Get n healthy- I know what you mean! This morning stepped on the scale...178 (ugh)...pushed the button to rezero the scale stepped back on...177...though what the heck, I'll try it again...174...moved the scale to a different part of the bathroom: 174...I tried it a few more times, now because I'm just curious to see what the dang scale will do...got a 177, and another 174...I don't even know what to put down in my wt log...maybe 177??
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/160

Height: 5' 5"

I almost ordered the digital WW scale on Amazon.com, but there were several reviews from consumers complaining about the accuracy. Apparently, it doesn't work well on carpeted flooring or floors that are even the slightest bit uneven. Apparently, it is also picky about the way you stand on it, the location of your feet. Several people said that it was great as long as it weighed yourself in the same flat, tiled location and maked the scale as to where you should put your feet.

My scale needs to be dumped. I'll probably go to Target after work and pick one up. Any suggestions on brands? Should I pay more for the digital? Is it worth it? I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on the scale. No more than $30. Can that get me a decent one?
galengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 226/196/150

i know how you feel!
that's me pretty much everyday!!!
alisonordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #10  

Thumbs down

how funny! yesterday i posted DIGITAL SCALE MELTDOWN. i would weigh first thing in the morning then step off and back on and always never the same number twice. so, i moved the scale to different tile surfaces in my house and again, never the same number.
long story short i knew i had an awful scale when i took it to the garage ( i figured the cement is as even of floor i was going to get). would you know it same thing

last night i went to target and returned my 89.99 digital and bought a 24.99 analog. would you know it i weighed 2 pounds less
i also tested it by putting a ten pound weight on it. i stepped on and off 5 times and got the same read every time

i think the digital have issues with the floor eveness and even how you step on.
flabbychic is offline   Reply With Quote