Old 08-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #1  

Default Hi....newbie here...

Hey guys,

I posted on the Buddy's forum, I'm looking for a buddy. I'm a 21 (soon 22) year old living in Florida. I am a college student. It's tough but I think I should stay. What do you guys think...stay in college or get a 11-14 dollars an hour job with my h.s. diploma. I'm not happy right now but I'm staying. I have 19 credits so far. After this summer, if I stick it, I would be rewarded with 4.0 credits making it 23 credits. If I feel better (mentally) I'll start taking more classes.

Back to the main point. I'm saying hi because I'm 5'4 and 243 pounds and need support losing weight....I'm not doing any particular diet but low carb and low fat, just watch what i eat and eat less and stop my night eating. Anyone out there simular to me. Would love to join you guys.

What diets are you guys doing? Are you guys in college or finished? I think I'm the fatest one in here and maybe the youngest.

Good luck everyone...
Icanchangemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Hey Newbie! welcome to the site. I would love to be your buddy if you need some support on your diet. I am 20 I go to school in Indiana and I am just getting started on my diet again. Send me a PM if you need some support and good luck on your weight loss. you are not alone here !
LIL'JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Don't you dare feel like the fattest, girl! I used to be over 300 pounds and have worked my way down to 284 today. There's an entire group here dedicated to people weighing (or who have weighed) 300+. Just be glad you've decided to nip this in the bud before you reach that point.

Also, there are a feww 19 year olds bouncing around in here, I think. I just turned 24 last month. I think you're wise to stay in school. I have a bachelor's degree, and I'm making quite the pretty penny right now. My boyfriend only took 1 semester of college courses at a community college and never got a degree, so now he has a pretty well-paying job (about $18/hour), but he has no room for growth in his current position, and he is having a very hard time finding another job that will pay him any more than that without a degree. Sure, $18/hour is great for him for right now, but is that all he wants to make for the rest of his life? I, on the other hand, with my degree, have changed jobs twice this year, each time giving me a $10k increase in salary. Yup, in 6 months, I jumped up $20k. A $20k increase in salary in one year is certainly worth the student loan payments I'll be making for the next 10 years I'm so excited I might be able to afford a cat soon
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #4  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Welcome to the board!! You'll find tons of support here & great advice! My personal way of 'dieting' isn't really dieting. I have changed my eating habits, they're sooo much healthier, lean meats, low fat foods, low calorie foods. I try to exercise but that's where I lack. I enjoy walking on the treadmill, trying to jog, and dvd's.. my fav is Crunch Pilates. Don't think of it as a 'diet'. Think of it as a lifestyle change.

Good luck to you!
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #5  

thanks for the support guys! thanks!

Right now I'm hungry. Is it normal to feel hungry let yourself feel empty for a few hours???
Icanchangemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #6  

I would think that it is normal. Have a small, healthy meal... eat slowly, then see how you feel.
Apolline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #7  

In regard to the hunger, I have noticed that when you first begin a diet, you might feel hungrier for a few days because you have to get used to the smaller amount of food, but after a while, that smaller amount will fill you up. But definitely include snacks! Apples, carrot sticks with hummus (yum!), yogurt, low fat mozzarella sticks, small handful of nuts, etc will help you get to your next week. And some hunger is okay but don't let yourself get too hungry or you will eat alot more at your next meal (this is my problem!). Well, I wish you the best!
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

IMO, you shouldn't ever feel hungry and deprive yourself of food. If you're hungry, you should eat. You may be trying to cut back too much too soon. The difference, though, is that if you're hungry, you should reach for something healthy instead of junk. You can eat a LOT of healthy food in a day and probably still end up with fewer calories than you did eating not-so-healthy foods. Stick to lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean meats, and low-fat or fat-free dairy. Also, be sure you're drinking plenty of water (suggested minimum 64 oz a day), as they say we often confuse thirst for hunger, so there may be times you think you're hungry, but your body really just needs some fluid!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 269/264/160

Height: 5'5

I'm just beginning as well and I fell hungry sometimes so I get a bottle of water and if I still want to eat after that I grab some baby carrots or a fruit. I know it does not compare to a coke and chips but I always try and remind my self of the bigger picture....
Merissa is offline   Reply With Quote