Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 141/135/120

Height: 4'10

Default Newbie here with a question

Hi everyone Im a 22 year old female who has been battling with my weight since I was 13 years old. I've been on most diets and have successfully lost weight over the years, however now I have gained weight (which on my 4'10 frame makes me look really big) and want to try to lose it again. I have put myself on a strict diet consisting of chicken, salad and vegetables. I am also working out 60-90 minutes doing high intensity cardio 7 days a week. I currently weigh in at 137.7 and want to make it to 129 by September 1st. Is this possible? I am taking a vacation and dont want my family and everyone to see me like this. Although I am not severly overweight my weight has affected my health. I have diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and the Dr says that losing weight can help this. Does anyone have any tips for me?
MissFallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #2  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Miss Fallon!
I think 8 lbs sounds like a little bit much by Sept. 1st, but I think if you are eating healthy and exercising as much as you are, the weight will come off reasonably quickly. I've heard 1-2 lb. weight loss per week is healthy, any more and you supposedly are at a much higher risk of gaining it right back. My main suggestion is keep up the cardio and make sure to get the reccomended minimum 1200 calories a day to keep your bod from going into starvation mode. Good luck!
Where are you going on vacation?
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Hey there Fallon Welcome!

I'm a calorie counter personally and in generally in maintainence at the moment but I do know that it might be asking a little much of your body to lose 8 pounds in two weeks when you are not severely overweight to begin with.

I know this isnt probably what you want to hear but slow and steady really does win this race. Aim to lose 1-2 pounds a week and that way it will be fat you're losing not muscle mass. If you push yourself with a strict eating regime you'll probably get sick of it quickly and may fall back into bad habits.

Develop healthy and balanced eating habits - try eating 5 or 6 smaller "meals" a day to keep your hunger at bay and your metabolism fired up.

It really boils down to energy in = energy out but don't dip too low in calories (say under 1100-1000) as your body will head for starvation mode and fight you to hold onto its fat stores and slow your metabolism down.

Feel free to be in touch if you ever have any questions

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #4  

I am going to Texas to check things out b4 I move there in January. I have 23 days (3 weeks) to lose 8 pounds. At 2 pounds per week that is 6 pounds. I can live with 6 pounds. How soon after starting to work out did you see results? Ive done this weight loss thing but never really noticed the weight loss until I tried on that 1 pair of jeans that I always bought but could never fit and they actually fit. My diet isn't just for weight loss, I basically eat that anyway because of my health problems. I also eat fish. So I don't think binging or going into bad eating habits should be a problem for me.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Actually if you are just starting your diet 8 pounds could easily happen. I always lose alot in the first few weeks. Good luck.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I noticed weight coming off pretty steadily from the start.

My starting weight was about 176 pounds so I wasn't very overweight which meant that I didn't drop heaps right at the start. I probably lost at a rate of 1kg a week which is roughly 2 pounds.

That was eating around 1200-1400 calories and doing cardio 6 days a week and weights on 3 days.

These days I run 4 or 5 days a week for between 40-60 mins and eat around 1600-1800 calories. I've been maintaining for ooo...close to 2 years?

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/138/120

Height: 5'5

None of us can predict how your body is going to lose weight. I would say that losing the 8 pounds in that amount of time is a pretty lofty goal. You don't weigh that much. I understand that you want to lose weight/tone up, but don't expect to lose that quickly. The more one weighs, the more calories he/she burn s doing exercise and everyday functioning. I've been stuck on my current weight for WEEKS now, and I have been dieting for around 2 months now.
MaryKate'sPillStash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate'sPillStash
None of us can predict how your body is going to lose weight. I would say that losing the 8 pounds in that amount of time is a pretty lofty goal. You don't weigh that much. I understand that you want to lose weight/tone up, but don't expect to lose that quickly. The more one weighs, the more calories he/she burn s doing exercise and everyday functioning. I've been stuck on my current weight for WEEKS now, and I have been dieting for around 2 months now.
If I am going off of the 2 lb per week thing I believe I can make it. I have done it b4 (15lb in 5 weeks) so I'm going to just not get discouraged and keep going. My last weight loss was when I went from 145 to 130 last summer. I will be happy with 5 pounds, I just want to get under the 132 mark cuz that is the point where I usually get stuck.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 AM   #9  
Melting Butter

Don't forget this is a lifestyle change...
If you do manage to lose it quickly or do a crash diet you're more prone to gain it all back, quickly.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote