Old 12-14-2005, 11:59 PM   #1  
banned

Default Another Newbie!

Hey everyone! I'm new around here, and just thought I'd introduce myself, as well as ask a few questions. I'm 20, and a full-time college student at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN. I'm currently majoring in Human Resource Management. I transferred this year from MSU-Mankato, so I'm really supposed to be a junior but I'm like 2 credits away from being a junior.

Anyways, I was very active in high school with danceline and I also went to a local dance studio. I probably danced at least 4 hours a day, 6 hours on some days. So I guess you could say I was in really good shape. But since college started, I haven't danced at all, and have kept eating as much as I used to (which was a lot), and have gained the freshman 15 plus about 10 more pounds...it fluctuates week to week.

I want to start an exercise regimen that I can stick with and not get bored with. I always start my exercise routines, but after about 3 days I find excuses not to continue (too much school work, too stressed out, I have my period, etc.). I guess a question I have is...does anyone have any good exercise routines that helped them get started? I don't want it to be too easy, but so hard that I can't or don't want to do it ya know?

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know! And I'm really excited about this web site and forum...it looks like there's a LOT of support here! I look forward to meeting everyone and sharing my journey!
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #2  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Heather! I think you'll find this forum to be very supportive. There are a lot of positive, caring people on here.

In answer to your question, I struggle with the same thing. I'll find a workout that works for me, then I'll get bored or unmotivated. A couple of things I did was find a variety of exercise routines I like to do, so if I'm not in the mood for one, I do another. I also log my exercise on a wall calendar in my kitchen. So if I see a lot of blank squares (meaning I haven't done anything), I feel really, really guilty about it...

Good luck to you!
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #3  
Egy Kis Lany

Welcome!

I guess... why on earth don't you just start dancing again?! Your school should have dance classes (even ballroom or swing or some social dancing).
It sounds like something you love(d), so why get all bored by running on the treadmill, or whatnot, when you can just pick up what you love.

*nods*
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #4  
banned

Well I am taking a yoga class next semester It's like 2 days a week for an hour. Only problem is, it's not at my school. Since there's so many private colleges around the St. Paul area we're allowed to take classes at other colleges, and there's no dance classes at St. Thomas. So I have to take the dance classes at another college, but we can only take one class a semester. If I could, I'd take like 5 classes. So yeah that's what I'm doing for now. I just need something else to do. And thanks for welcoming me you guys.

(all these smilies are so cute!)
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #5  
Egy Kis Lany

http://*************.com/group/minnesotaswingdance/

http://www.tcswing.com/top.htm
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #6  
one step at a time

Welcome, Heather!

If you've got a DVD player or VCR, why not try a couple workout videos? That way, if it's freezing out and you don't feel like trekking to the gym, there's something you can do without leaving the dorms.
HealthyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #7  
12 pounds lost in 2006

Woo hoo you're majoring in my field! HR is a good field to work in. I love it!!!

Since you're in school try seeing if your school has a gym on site. A lot of them do and they are usually free or really cheap. I wish I would have utilized my schools fitness center when I was there
mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #8  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

maybe look into your on campus gym and see if they offer some type of cardio dance/ or kickboxing class-that is similiar to stuff you did in dance in hs., maybe even join the dance team at school, or enrolli n a dance class....
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote