Old 10-20-2005, 01:32 AM   #1  
Melting Butter

Default Seeing Changes

After losing some weight I swear that for the most part I still look the same! Yes, my clothes fit differently now...but I'm frustrated because I can't see the change. I know I can't tell because I see myself day in and day out. It's just like I can't see the change when I become a year older on my birthday...it's just happens gradually.

But I have to know...when did you start to really notice a change? Or were clothing changes enough to really help you to see the changes in your body? What did you notice first...your arms, legs, butt...what?

The only way I can really tell is when I look at old pictures. Does anyone understand what I mean? It's like you want to see something different before your eyes.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #2  

Trust me, I understand. I dont realze that I've lost weight until I actually look at the pictures that I've taken of my face since I've started this journey. When I look at how round my face was before and how much slimmer it is now, I know I've lost weight, but when I look in the mirror, I cannot see it. AND, I'm one of those people who gain weight all over my body,so weight loss isnt as evident...I'm pretty sure I've lost inches (Im terrible at measuring) around my waist, but that has not meant dropping a clothing size yet.

I dont know how long you have been the size you are, but I've found that if you remain one size for a long time and then start to change (for the good or the bad) we tend not to notice as much as we would if someone else lost/gained weight. I think that is partially because we see ourselves everyday...multiple times a day so when we lose/gain we dont notice as much.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Honestly I started noticing the most changes (clothes fitting better, body looking fitter etc) when I really starting working with weights. I did cardio for ages and did lose weight but my body still "looked" the same to me. Now that things are firmer and more defined I find myself just catching a glimpse as I walk past a mirror or while lifting and say "wow! I look good" Just my thoughts...congrats on your progress and keep it up!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't see changes either. Its so frustrating, and my clothes are barley fitting differently. I feel better and the scale is going down, but I'm not looking different. I just want to see something, Ilook at my legs and wonder, when will this go away, or any of my other problem areas, its like 35 pounds gone and they are still major problems. I know I'm still very far from goal but I want to see changes too!
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #5  

See, I'm having the opposite problem. I've stayed the same weight for over a week, but I'm pretty sure I've lost inches off my thighs and definitely off my waist? After 5 days at 200, I increased the level on the cardio machines, and do an extra 20 minutes per session to boot. I'm wondering if the Nautilus is messing up my weight, because it's giving me muscle weight. My clothes fit me looser, and better, but I'm not seeing the scale hit the 100s! At least y'all are weighing less, and that's what the doctors see when you go into their office!
pioneerprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Jennie-I would try taking a photo and comparing the before and now, I think looking at photos is easiest to see the changes because it is more like looking at someone else you haven't seen in a while instead of yourself which you see everyday.

HealthyMe05- You could try and ask someone who knows your dieting and is supportive if they have noticed any changes. My DH is very good about this when I ask and always has a specific comment/bodypart to point out so I feel he isn't just appeasing me because I asked. I am usually pretty honest about why I'm asking too. "Not looking for a compliment, but I can't see anything different, can you?"

Also last time I lost weight- I hardly noticed any changes at the beginning, it was well over 20 lb before I could tell, and long after everyone else started noticing. But the closer I got to my goal the more I could see the difference in just a few pounds (even when others didn't notice). For example, I don't carry a lot of weight on my abs so the closer I got to goal weight the more defined my abs got with every couple pounds lost.

PioneerPrincess-Keep up the good work! As long as you are losing inches, clothes are looser, etc. then you must be doing something right. Eventually the scales will reflect the changes your body is going through, just hang in until they do.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I was just thinking about this very thing. Sometimes I look in the mirror and don't see a difference at all. The pictures really do help. I take them digitally and I put the more recent ones right next the the first ones so I can see them side by side. The biggest way I notice a difference is (and this is going to sound weird) is when I am sitting or standing and I grab my fat (thighs, tummy, whatever), I can really tell a difference in how much I can grab. I do it in class sometimes (I hope no one sees, haha) and I really noticed in my night class Tuesday night how much fat I have lost in my upper stomach. Oh, and my bras don't fit anymore, I can tell the girls have gotten smaller.

The funniest part is that my fiance has been losing weight too (he only had about 25 to lose on a 6'1" frame, he gained with me), and after he went to the gym the first time he was admiring his body in the mirror, swearing he could see changes already, and here I am 20 pounds lost still trying to see the difference! Ironic!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #8  
Marching To Her Own Beat

My mother and sister noticed a change in me after only a couple of weeks. I don't notice it on myself much. However, I agree with universityprincess that I do notice it in my face. I'm looking at a pic of me during the summer and my face was significantly fatter. I also notice it in my pants. One pair of pants that were slightly too big to begin with was falling off my butt on Sunday. I couldn't believe it!!! Let's just say I had to retire those pants...LOL
herownbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

I felt like this when I dropped 25lbs, I could not see a change, my clothes where looser and my mum and friends said they could tell but I didn't.... but yet I can now tell I've put the weight back on!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #10  
Haley

I haven't really seen much change in myself either. Other people have asked me if I've lost weight and been like wow you look great, but I don't notice it! The only thing thats different for me is my jeans fit more loosely and I have to wear a belt. I really think the previous ideas about comparing before/after pictures is a great idea. I think with that you'll be able to actually see the difference.
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #11  
Melting Butter

Thanks for the replies. It is weird how other people notice before I notice. I really enjoyed reading the responses because it helps me to see that not everyone looks like a completely different person after they lose 10 pounds. I need to quit looking at people's before and after pics.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #12  

You are right about seeing the changes much more clearer in pictures. When I was 216 I never thought I looked bad, UNTIL I saw pictures that I would rip up and destroy instantly.....So needless to say I don't have many before pictures...lol
If it takes looking at pictures, then have someone take your picture at every 10/15 pound loss - whatever gives you that extra boost of motivation......
I think what your talking about it 'distored body image' and it does happen when we lose weight, but continue to see ourselfs the same.
Since you have a 27 pound loss, you diffinately should be able to see a nice improvement.....
Star is offline   Reply With Quote