Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 PM   #1  
Mikey's girl

Question calorie intake

Ok I have a question. If Im at 214 and I excercise 3-4 times a week. HOW MANY CALORIES should I be eating?? I've been around 1100 - 1300 Except saturday nights are my cheat nights. Occasionally when we go out.
ONe problem though, Im NEVER hungary anymore . I come eat a small sald and a 40 cal fudge sicle and Im making myself do that. After I eat I FEEL SOOOO guilty . Im confused on whats going on here.
Too many calories, too little. I know I should be eating 6 times a day small meals, but I am so busyt at work, or just dont have a taste for anything.
Too many Q . So Im done rambling.... Any help would be SOOOO apperciated!
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #2  
One day at a time...

I love fitness mag..they have a very resourceful website too. I used their caloric calculator and found out that I needed to eat a bit more.
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitne...ator_index.jsp
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #3  

The website April Showers posted was a good one. The calorie recommendation, however, is how much you eat to "maintain" your existing weight. You need to either subtract about 500 calories a day (to lose 1 pound a week), or more. It is calculating your AMR -- active metabolic rate.

I prefer using one of the online BMR (basal metabolic rate) calculators. They show the minimum you need for your weight in order to "exisit" (i.e. breath, digest your food, minimal movement). In order to lose weight, you should eat at least your BMR level of calories, but below your AMR level. The closer you eat to your BMR, the quicker you'll lose weight. But don't go below your BMR or your body will think you are starving it and hang onto ever possible calorie and ounce of fat. As you lose weight, you need to eat less because your BMR goes down.

For comparison, I've lost 47 pounds eating between 1800 and 2000 calories a day. (My BMR is around 1800.)
Good luck.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

It sounds to me like you're not eating nearly enough. In addition to what the above posters said, remember that you should never go under 1200 calories per day. Your body will think you are starving and will hold onto every last ounce.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #5  
Mikey's girl

Where can I do my BMR?? what site online?
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #6  
On My Way...

Here's one I found...not sure if there is a better one out there though...

http://www.diyglobalsolutions.com/bmr_bmi.htm
jkg0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Wow, thanks Jacky, that's the easiest to use site I've seen yet!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh dear, for your current weight, and the fact that you are exercising-1000 to 1300 is not NEARLY enough. You should never go below 1200 a day for any period of time anyway, it will slow your metabolism, and it is hard to meet basic nutritional needs at that low level of intake. You should slowly up things over a few weeks to eating 1600-1800 for a while. You may have to drop your calorie intake a bit once you get closer to your goal weight, but even then the drop should only be to about 1400-1600 a day.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote