Old 06-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #16  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I drink. I used to drink a lot, now I drink moderately. I try not to drink during the week, although I do sometimes, but I don't limit it much at weekends.

But my alcohol tolerance is dropping through the floor at the moment. I'm getting seriously unable to hold my drinks, and I notice the effects like dehydration etc too far more clearly than I ever used to. Good in a way, but I'm dreading the day I've got planned with some old drinking buddies in a couple of weeks. There is absolutely no way I'll be able to keep up, but I have a horrible feeling I'm going to try...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #17  
the faux to be famous

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'8"

I used to drink every weekend...and most weekends for three days straight (ahhh, the life of a university student...), and as a consequence I used to have the worst hangovers known to MAN (and would waste a day sleeping it off...then promptly going to wendy's for a hamburger meal or two).

But these days, with the group of friends out of school and working we go out about once every couple weeks (usually Saturday night). My drink(s) of choice used to be vodka/cranberry or rum and coke.

These days, I'm drinking vodka/water, vodka/tonic or gin/tonic. I'm not going to lie to you, drinking vodka water while sober is somewhat painful, but it's not too bad with some lime or lemon (and as the night concludes, my friends tell me it's vodka/water when it's really just water...and I wake up less dehydrated the next morning...they're sneaky those kids). I was told by a dietician I consulted in the beginning of this weight loss adventure (and lifestyle change) that those combinations had the least amount of calories per serving (which I'm trying to find the exact amounts in my notes right now, but I'm having problems reading my handwriting...). I'm now a huge fan of the gin and tonic, although now I only go out once every few weeks which is good all around.

Rumour has it that if you have rum and a diet coke then you have 66 calories and no carbs...not sure if you're going that route but that might be a suggestion.
hexagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

I enjoy drinks of all kinds myself as well and don't really think "Don't have any" is workable advice for my life. My in-laws are European so they don't drink heavily but do drink often and my dh is the same way.

As far as alcohol and diets go wine and beer are probably your "best" choices b/c they are lower in cals and you won't be drinking them with fruit juices, like hard alcohol. That just ups the cals and the sugars.

If you like beer ML is not a bad choice. It is lower in cals than some. Like someone suggested I would try the low carb beers b/c they are also lower in cals. I like the new Bud Select b/c it tastes like Bud Light to me.

The water suggestion of drinking a lot ealier in the day and the next day is good. I also try and drink a full glass between each beer, even if I end up pretty much chugging the water. This helps me to not drink the beer as quickly so I don't get drunk and make bad food choices that night or the next day. Between the water and the beer I get pretty full which also slows me down.

Also, if I know I am going to be drinking ahead of time I save up some cals by eating lighter earlier in the week.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #19  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I live with three party girls and it is hard not to want to drink all the time with them. I am trying to cut back on my drinking during the week because it makes me not want to get up at 6am and go to the gym.

My favorite things to drink used to be those fruity, high-calorie mixed drinks or the high-calorie "malt beverages" like hard lemonade. However, I just can't see the point in wasting that many calories so I've switched to mixed drinks with either rum or vodka and something low in sugar. It is kind of limiting and they aren't as fun as margaritas, but (eventually) they taste pretty good too.
And, I must confess that drinking has lead to some major pig outs of mine... I'm pretty sure I cooked and ate a whole frozen pizza by myself not too long ago.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #20  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

It saddens me a bit to see that many are not willing to yield a bit when it comes to drinking.

I used to drink 1-5 nights a week.

And then I thought, WHY? What good does getting drunk do if I get on the scale the next morning and see I'm at my lowest ever, only to know I haven't eaten a thing since lunch the day before, I am super dehydrated and the minute I eat or drink something, I will gain 5 lbs.

It may just be me. I'm turning 28 in a few months. And while I like to go out and have a good time, I realize that the pounds won't drop off if I continue drinking like I do.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE BEER -- Miller Lite or Bud Lite are my favs down here (although if there is a Labatt's Blue anywhere in site, I am in trouble).

I've come to realze that the calories aren't worth it. So, if I want a beer, I won't deprive myself. because that's just dumb -- and not a LIFESTYLE change. but I WILL only have one or two. If I want to drink drink, I eat beforehand and have diet coke and non-flavored liquor.

It's just my two cents, I know. But being overweight is like dealing with a disease and you don't need another (alcoholism) on top of it, you know?
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

I think saying "not willing to yield at all" is extreme. At least for me. And it seems like most of the people posting are talking about an occassional weekend, not everynight.

I think it is impossible to lose weight and drink heavily and I make a point of not drinking as much/often. But I am also not going to go around pretending that I am not going to drink at all. B/c like any other food situation, that just poor planning...I guess I didn't really say that in my post, just sort of focused on what I do when the occassion occurs...
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #22  
Mikey's girl

I think saying "not willing to yield at all" is extreme. At least for me. And it seems like most of the people posting are talking about an occassional weekend, not everynight.

I TOTALLY AGREE!! Its not willing to yeild, its not even an every weekend thing, its some weekends, and not every weekend a drunk fest!! Kinda need to read what people are saying, not 4 nights a week or even 2 nights a week. The question is is it needed to stop all drinking, or is it ok. How bad is it really for you?

Other then that thanks for everyones opinion!! moderation and WATER!! seems to be the verdict! LOL
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #23  

I totally hear you but from reading all these posts I also see 7-10 beers in a night around 4-6 times a month.

It just makes me sad to think alcohol plays such a big part of the 20 something's lives is all...

My own included (up until recently...)
Old 06-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #24  

also -- it's not just bad for weight loss, it's bad for the insides of you in other ways...liver/heart.

All I was doing was raising points as something to think about/playing devil's advocate. I never chastised or said I was above or below the consensus.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #25  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Personally, I don't think I could stick to not drinking at all. And strangely one of the times in my life when I gained most weight was a time when I didn't drink for 4 months, replacing alcohol with food!

I do drink a lot less than I used to, and as I drink less I find that I need less, so it's turning into a downward spiral. I'm far more aware of the effects of what I drink, but I build it into my lifestyle to keep some balance and to keep me happy. I go out on a proper drinking session once every couple of months at most. When I do, I drink a lot, but the rest of the time I can go without a drink for days or weeks without even thinking about it.

It's all part of what I'm trying to do. I won't stick to this if I make unrealistic rules for myself. I will stick to it if I just try to be a bit better in everything I do (a lot better in some areas), and face up to the consequences of what I do, then take an informed decision about whether it's worth it. Sometimes a drink is worth it, sometimes it isn't, but I want the freedom to make that choice.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #26  

I actually stopped drinking for a few months when I was first losing weight. I went out with my friends and went to parties, but just didn't have the desire to drink because I was afraid of undoing all of my hard work. When I had a better handle on eating well and exercising regularly, I stopped worrying so much about what having a few drinks would do to my diet because I had more confidence in my ability to keep making progress.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #27  
Hottie on the Beach!

Cool

I HATE beer, but I love liquor when we go out to a club or resturant! Margaritas are my downfall, but I have been just taking shots of tequila instead. I know that tequila breaks down into sugar, but it's not as bad as the margarita mix or juice in mixed drinks right? I do drink lots of water too though. We don't have kids yet, so here lately we've been some big party animals! I would have to say that's a BIG downfall of mine! I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but I do love to go out and have fun on the weekends. If I see that it's making a difference in my weight though, I will definatly nip it in the bud! It's not worth it for me either....but it sure is fun!
Sadiepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:45 AM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadiepies
I HATE beer, but I love liquor when we go out to a club or resturant! Margaritas are my downfall, but I have been just taking shots of tequila instead. I know that tequila breaks down into sugar, but it's not as bad as the margarita mix or juice in mixed drinks right? I do drink lots of water too though. We don't have kids yet, so here lately we've been some big party animals! I would have to say that's a BIG downfall of mine! I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but I do love to go out and have fun on the weekends. If I see that it's making a difference in my weight though, I will definatly nip it in the bud! It's not worth it for me either....but it sure is fun!

I just needed to quote you so I could say that you look fantastic!! Good for you for losing the weight!!!! I seem to have a similar situation, I had around 40 lbs to lose and it is still a significant weight loss. Anyways, I love my beer and I have NOT given it up, and I have still lost 22 lbs so far. I don't know about everyone else, but this being the first time that I have actually lost weight. I wish I could pinpoint the exact criteria except my goal weight was meant to be reached in April. I knew almost after 2 months that it wasn't going to happen, but I had lost some weight, and I didn't want to give up. So I set smaller goals. I have also developed my own diet/life maintance plan where I low carb for a few weeks, then cheat for 1 (with a few spoonfuls of the worst things possible and then wheat bread only) This has made me stay at the same weight that I had reached, and then when I back off the carbs again, I lose 3-6 lbs real easily. Then I repeat. This really works for me and I still can have my weakness, miller lite!!! Honestly though, I fit better into my clothes, but I have yet to tighten my stomach, so strength training is my enemy. I need to prioritize a six pack between my fun and my abs, lol.
Gitterdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:59 AM   #29  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

ugh i want to agree with above - salty and fatty - i had a horribly hang over on sunday, and had to go to "work" but the only thing I could keep down, eventually was some coke and like 5 pringles. but seeing most everything else came up - it wasn't that bad. and then I was totally dehydrated! (oh it was bad too - it was white wine)

but because of that I have sworn off drinking for a bit. one or two beers (I am desparately trying to switch to light - but I prefer the real stuff) a week.

I am of the "I can't possibly give up all alcohol for the year it will take me to lose the wieght I want to" crowd.

good luck all!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #30  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I gave up drinking completely. It's all gone. I haven't had a drink in almost a year now. I would never have considered myself an alcoholic by any means, but I was getting a bit crazy near the end of my college years (I was in college for 3 and 1/2 years--finished a semester early and CELEBRATED like nobody's business ). My last 8 months of so of college, I started serving in a restaurant (Ruby Tuesday) and met a lot more fun people. Having moved into a house off campus (it was a dry campus--no alcohol allowed on school grounds), we had parties pretty much EVERY night either at my house or another coworker's house right down the street from mine (walking distance is a GOOD thing when drinking ). It didn't help that I moved in with 3 people I didn't know--2 guys on the wrestling team (who brought many a hot, drunken wrestler friend to the late-night parties ) and a girl on the dance team who also worked for the campus radio station--so between the 4 of us, we knew just about every drinker and party hotspot known to man (plus my best friend's boyfriend was a big frat guy, so that certainly didn't help any!). The house was also located very close to the only bar near campus, so when the bar closed at 3am, the party just automatically moved to our house. Honestly, for those 8 months, I probably had between 10-15 drinks per night for 3 or 4 nights a week. I was going crazy! And I'm not talking light beer--I'm talking about starting the night off with some of the aforementioned malt beverages (hard lemonades, shmirnoff ices, etc.), then moving on to straight shots of vodka, rum, flavored schnapps, or whatever else was around. Also, right across the street from my friend's house was a pizza shop where you could get a large cheese pizza for 5 bucks. Can anyone say drunken munchies? Alcohol and pizza probably made up about 60% of my food/beverage intake for those nearly 8 months. The reason I drank so much and never worried about it, though, was that I NEVER had much of a hangover. I could hold my liquor like a champ, drink and be out till 3 or 4am, then still get up and make it to my 9am class (even if still in my pajamas ). College was a wild time for me, and I hope I got it all out of my system. I've now been with Jeff for almost a year and 4 months, and he does not drink at all, so that makes it easier for me to say no, too. The last time I drank, I was amazed at how quickly my tolerance had gone down the drain, too. I got drunk faster, got sick the next morning, and was hungover all day long. Knowing I have NO tolerance left has also made it easier to say no, cuz I certainly don't ever want to feel like that again! So I guess I didn't stop drinking just because I started dieting--err, made a lifestyle change--but I'm sure if that were still my life, weight loss wouldn't fit in there anywhere!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote