Old 03-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #1  

Smile Hi, I'm new!

Hi everyone! I am new here. I am trying to lose weight for the summer (and keep it off), but am having a really tough time getting motivated. I need to lose approx 15lbs. I bought 2 new pilates dvd's and have been jogging. Here is a question: If I am jogging a couple nights a week, will that help me lose weight or will that just put on muscle? Anyways, I stuck to a routine for about 2 weeks only and then it got really cold and snowy again and I quit. I need your support and suggestions!!!

Thanks guys!! Looking forward to meeting you!

Meghan
ShrinkMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #2  
But Want The Body Too!!

Hi ShrinkMe!!!! Welcome to 3FC!!!

Jogging will keep your heartrate up and its a good workout surely.. It will help you lose weight if you stick with it.. It will also tone up your legs, at least it has mine.. We're all here to support each other so if you have any more questions feel free to ask

Here is an article that might help also...
An excellent way to burn a little extra calories and help speed up your weight loss plan is running / jogging. Running has many benefits aside from aiding in fat loss. Running is great for your heart, it helps relieve stress and can be enjoyable in the right atmosphere. When combined with a healthy diet, such as the one I provide on this site, you should be able to get rid of every last drip of fat on your body, if you have dedication.

How Long should I run for?
I recommend running for 20-40 minutes per session. It will take a solid 20 minutes of running / jogging to burn off enough glucose stores to force your body to use fat for energy. If you'd like to run longer than 40 minutes, that is fine, but I recommend that you don't go beyond 1 hour. After 1 hour of running your body will start to produce a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol, is used to breakdown existing muscle for energy, something you DRASTICALLY want to avoid, as lean body mass aids in fat burning.

How fast should I run
I don't recommend you run super fast, just at a nice brisk pace. If your running on a treadmill, I'd recommend roughly 5.1 MPH. This speed should keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone and prevent excessive muscle loss.

Should I eat something after running?
I highly recommend taking in a carbohydrate/protein blend of roughly 4g carbohydrates to 1g protein after running. This will help refill muscle glucose levels to a nominal level and will help curb a massive craving to binge eat which can arive about an hour after your run.

Last edited by Beautiful_Inside; 03-21-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Beautiful_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

15lbs for summer shouldn't be a problem. I have about the same to lose and know that we'll both look fab come beach-time! Running/jogging is a great workout and at least for me, it's the best thing for fat loss. You do gain muscle in your legs but it burns a huge number of calories as well so I say definitely stick with it. Try signing up for a 5-k to motivate you even. Pilates DVDs are great too-which ones did you buy? I really like the windsor pilates set. best of luck to you!!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 AM   #4  
PACKERS FAN!

Shrink Me! Welcome! Don't worry about bulky leggs from running, the only way to really get huge muscles is from vigorous weight lifting (few reps, lots of weight). Run those buns off!
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #5  

Thank you guys! You were all very helpful. I will try to start jogging again - as it sounds like a great way to stay in shape and lose extra pounds. The problem is it is so cold here and I live out of town - without a treadmill so I am pretty much stuck inside until it warms up a bit. But thanks again for the advice!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #6  

Some people say they like those Walk Away the Pounds DVDs with Leslie Sansone (?) but I have never tried them. Might be an option for indoors.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #7  

THanks Lizzbabe! I have the Windsor Pilates - buns and thighs and abs DVD's ( I think). They give me a good workout if I do them right. A lot of times I find I am feeling no pain and I am not in the right postition or just doing the excersise wrong but the next time I try it, I am sweating!! I will look out for that walk away the pounds DVD. I might try to find some sort of dance DVD? Do you have any suggestions for a good one? You've lost 43lb already and only have 10 to go? That is really great!!! I am looking for a buddy on here that I can get motivated from and just talk to when I get struggling to workout and eat right. Would you mind if I pm'd you sometime?

Thanks,
Meg
Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

ShrinkMe-What a great name! 15 lbs by summer is definitely doable. I want to lose 20 total but am aiming for 15 by summer. I think that last five is going to take me awhile!

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #9  

Skinnyjeans that is a great name too!! I love it! Maybe we can help each other keep on top of things? I know I need someone to help me keep it up - Ever since I went to college and left home I have been gaining weight which is a new thing to me, in highschool I had good metabolism and was somewhat involved in sports, and now I am having to learn how to loose pounds and keep them off. I am a lazy, relaxed person by nature and absolutely hate excersising - I am hoping that feeling goes away once I begin to see results.
Plus my love for food isn't helping (junk food is my fav)

Meg
Old 03-23-2005, 07:42 PM   #10  

I love the buns and thighs winsor DVD but the ab one is too tough! for cardio i like denise austin but a lot of people find her annoying. check out collagevideo.com for reviews and preview clips to see what you like. they let you know how dance-y certain ones are. Lots of people like tae-be as well but I'm not coordinated enough.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #11  

I have about 10 more to lose, and I'm using Walk Away the Pounds Dvds. IN these past 3 days, I've done 9 miles (3+2+4). THey're ALOT of fun, and not to mention easy to follow. I've tried many exercise tapes, but these are my favorite.
MissyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 PM   #12  
Thin-2-Bee

Hi Meg, I'm new too and trying to loose 10lbs for the summer time. I know how hard it is to run with crazy weather!!! The Walk Away the Pounds are great for quick 20-30 minutes exercise! I love them also. But once the weather starts getting nice try to get out side and enjoy the fresh air, it almost motivates me more if its nice outside and trust me I always need motivation to do any kind of exercise.
Good Luck with everything and keep in touch, we'll reach our summertime goal together with alot of inspiration!
Robin
landraland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #13  
Angie

OK, call me a dork, but i will tell you which tapes i love...

Richard Simmon's Sweatin to the Oldies.

Yes.. laugh... i laugh too... but its really quite fun with the dancing and upbeat music you dont even know you are excersizing.

Angie
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote