Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #1  
comeback member

Default Workout question

I am ready for a new week and a nice start for the April's fool challenge! I want to shake up my routine a bit to accelerate the weight loss process... My question might sound silly but I am still asking!

How many calories do you girls burn during one session of workout? Yeah yeah yeah...I know what you are thinking...Sacha you shouldn't worry about that. As long as you workout! As long as you feel good working out! Well, I am just curious...

If you feel like answering...

Thanks!

Sacha
Old 02-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

It depends on what you're doing in your workout, for how long, and you must constantly be moving during that time. As one guy I heard talking about working out, if you walk, you must be moving constantly the whole time, no stops. Walking in a mall is a semi-workout because you walk, then stop, walk, then stop. It must be constant. Hope that helped a little
Old 02-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #3  
comeback member

Lesnars---I was talking about a workout at the gym...Treadmill or elliptical or something like that...

Sacha
Old 02-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Oh, ok. Well, when I had my old stationary bike, I would burn anywhere between 600 & 700 calories in an hour. When I used to work in downtown, I joined the YMCA in Tower 2 of our building, and the elliptical training machines are grueling, but they work really well
Old 02-15-2004, 12:04 PM   #5  
comeback member

Thank you for your answer!!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #6  

It depends...

When I run, the treadmill shows a little less than 100 calories per mile, so three days a week I'm between 300 - 500 calories. I try to cross train a couple of days a week, I don't count the calories from my yoga class, I just do it because it feels good. I usually burn between 300 - 400 on the bike or the elliptical trainer (30 - 40 min).

I used to have much higher calorie burns, but the machines all take into account your weight and my calorie burn for the amount of actual effort I'm putting forth has plummeted as I've lost weight.

I don't know how accurate the machines are, so I just try to get 3 hours of cardio in a week and a couple of strength training sessions (the operative word here is try - I sure didn't make it this week).
Old 02-15-2004, 12:24 PM   #7  
comeback member

Katia, you said: I used to have much higher calorie burns, but the machines all take into account your weight and my calorie burn for the amount of actual effort I'm putting forth has plummeted as I've lost weight.

Ohhhh...So that's why I was a bit disappointed last week...I used to burn so much more calories when I was bigger. But I punch in 170 now, not 180 or 190... Wow, those machines are smart!

Thank you Katia!

Sacha
Old 02-15-2004, 03:28 PM   #8  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

I'm not sure I really understand what you are asking - are you wondering how many calories we aim to burn per workout, or how many calories each individual activity burns to compare equipment/exercise? There's lots of online calculators that will help you to estimate how many calories you burn doing an activity (based on your effort and weight - they're not perfect, but they'll give you an estimate like the machines themselves sometimes do). Typically, when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical or bike, I aim for at least 100 cals./mi. - I'm still pretty heavy, so that usually isn't too difficult to do! The machines are on my side!!! During a 30-60 min. typical workout, I burn about 300-600 cals. Hope that kind of answers your question...
Old 02-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #9  

Default calories per hour

There is a great website: www.caloriesperhour.com It's a calculator for calories you burn as well as consume.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #10  
Divine Gal

according to the site u gave

it says I burn about 1028.
Closed Thread