Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #1  
Mission 130

S/C/G: 180/172.5/130

Height: 5'1"

Lightbulb Scaleless victory...

Not to be confused with a flawless victory...

Anyhow, I was reminded of what really stuck me to my workout when I first started and thought "If I lift one more weight, it will be to send it through the window!"

My nephew Colin is very big for his age. He was 4 at the time this story happened, and he's very affectionate. His mother is the sister who gastric bypass, but at the time, was very unhealthy. No one could pick him up except my brother because he was so big and the rest of us had no muscles to speak of.

After two weeks of the Firm, I came home and immediately grabbed him in a hug. I picked him up and swung him around with no problems. To which he replied, "Yeah, Aunt Holly! You got your muscles back!"

More scaless victories have come in the shape of my pants fitting better even though poundage has not chaged due to muscle gain.

Not that there is anything wrong with watching the scale. I just found that I couldn't weigh myself so often. One pound or two would ruin me for the day and I'd eat because I was miserable. I refuse to own a scale and use my mirror and clothing as a guide.

Any other scaleless (and scalable) victories out there? I like to remember my nephew on the days when getting moving is particularly hard. I can play with him in the yard and not feel winded and carry him with no trouble. And he knows it! ^_^
Old 06-26-2003, 02:32 PM   #2  
12 pounds lost in 2006

I wish I could say I had scaleless victories. I'm a total scale junkie and watching the scales number decrease motivates me tremendously! Congrats on your victory whether it be scaleless or scale addict
Old 06-27-2003, 12:04 PM   #3  

I am just like Mocha. I'm on the scale every day when I wake up tracking my progress. I know that it's an obession, but for some reason it keeps me going. If the scale says I'm 1 pound lighter between now and tomorrow (even though I know it's probably just lost water weight), my mood is better.

I need a constant reminder of how important losing weight is to me and unfortunately I rely on my scale too much! It can be so destructive.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

d chan,

What an awesome scaleless victory! And what a cool story. I don't own a scale and I refuse to get hooked on the numbers and such. Scaleless victories are wonderful aren't they? My current one is that I am up to 8 miles on the bike!! Woo hooo!!! When I manage this triathlon that I am training for in about a month....now that will be a scaleless VICTORY! I love this post! Thanks for putting it here.

Betty
Old 07-03-2003, 08:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

I just have to share this wonderful scaleless victory. I talked to a friend of mine (actually the one who encouraged me to do the Tri) and he was telling me about how it's was important to push through my threshold...overcome the lactic acid or tiredness and keep right on training so that I could get better. He said that if I didn't do that I wouldn't improve. Anyway...after our talk I went out and ran....and I knocked over 5 minutes off my time for the 2 mile run. I was SO excited when I got home and saw that I'd done that!! What an wonderful SCALELESS VICTORY!!

Betty
Old 07-15-2003, 10:16 AM   #6  

Angry Scaleless Victories!!!

I try to rely on/relish scaleless victories more than the number on the scale itself...it IS so easy to base your self-esteem for the day on what the scale says! Here are some recent ones I've experienced:

*Getting back into jeans I haven't worn in 2 years (just barely, but still!)

*Being able to work out harder each time I go to the gym

*Finding the jeans I currently wear just get bigger & bigger (can't wait to throw 'em out!)

*Noticing my tummy & arms get slightly trimmer & smaller as I go along

Watching for things like the above are what help keep me going!

250?/234/155-ish 5'7"
Old 07-15-2003, 11:16 PM   #7  

Angry

It's so easy to get caught up in those three numbers on the scale. It's as if those three numbers define who we are when it comes to the 'battle of the bulge'. Forget the fact that I've met my goals for the week. Forget the fact that my clothes are fitting better. If that scale didn't move then my day is ruined. I myself am a 'scale junkie' who is trying desperately to break myself from its grasp. I've taken my scale and have gone through deseperate measures to hide it from myself so in order to retrieve it I must go through the same troubles to get it; which isn't worth it. I bought myself a measuring tape. Every Sunday morning I measure my neck, waist, lower stomach, hips, left and right thigh. Since I'm lifting weights, any muscle gained will cause a rise in scale numbers. However, that doesn't mean that I didn't lose any inches. I also look at myself in the mirror naked every morning noticing the slightest change in my physique. And most importantly, my clothes tell me that I'm definitely doing something right.

It's a hard task to do, but I refuse to become a slave to the scale again. I want this next journey to be a scaleless victory!!

Closed Thread