Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #1  

Default Help!!

I started my weight loss journey about two months ago. In those two months I've managed to lose almost no weight. I'd lose a pound or two one week, then put it back the next. I'm just sooo frustrated. I'm dieting, going to the gym 4-5 times a week, but still nothing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone lend a hand or ear, please?
jmurrayo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #2  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Let's relax!! Tell us some things:

- How much do you weigh?
- What are you doing at the gym?
- What are you eating?
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/243.8/146

Height: 5'8"

Everything Rie said!! Give a sample of your daily diet and activity. It could be too much sodium, not drinking enough water...any little thing can affect your weight!
noelle8310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #4  

Well I currently weigh 350

At the gym, I'm doing:

15 min cardio warmup
3x15-bench press
60 reps on the an machine
3x10-leg press
3x10-squats
3x10-bicep curl
3x10- calf raises

Diet:
Morning: Herbalife shake
Snack: fruit salad (usually homemade, but sometimes I buy their premade store one)
Lunch: Sandwich, salad, soup
Snack: Protein bar or one of those 100 calorie snacks
Dinner: Herbalife shake
jmurrayo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

My initial thoughts, may be scattered:
Are you doing all the weight training every session? you have to give your muscles time to rest and rebuild, you get stronger and rebuild on days off. You could be over stressing your muscles and retaining fluid there. Personally, when I weight train I do not lose weight for months at a time. I have to do lots of cardio and do one weight training session a week to stress my muscles enough to try to get them to maintain mass.

I know a common comment will be you are eating too few calories, but I started out at closeish (high weight of 320) to your weight and did 1200 on slimfast for the first 9 months or so and lost fine. It is possible however that your body is sensitive to too few calories and is stubbornly holding onto the fat as much as possible.

It could also be you macronutrients, I don't know what the breakdown on herbalife shakes are so I can't say for certain but based on the rest of your food you have alot of carbs and not much protein. Personally I have to go heavy on the protein and (relatively 100-115) easy on the carbs to lose

Last edited by pnkrckpixikat; 10-12-2013 at 12:01 PM.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #6  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrayo56 View Post
Well I currently weigh 350

At the gym, I'm doing:

15 min cardio warmup
3x15-bench press
60 reps on the an machine
3x10-leg press
3x10-squats
3x10-bicep curl
3x10- calf raises

Diet:
Morning: Herbalife shake
Snack: fruit salad (usually homemade, but sometimes I buy their premade store one)
Lunch: Sandwich, salad, soup
Snack: Protein bar or one of those 100 calorie snacks
Dinner: Herbalife shake
While that is a pretty good strength workout, that's not going to help you lose weight. Strength workouts, while helping with weight loss, won't be the primary exercise you do to lose weight. You need to mix strength with cardio - whether that's during the workout or on a different day. I would strongly recommend including cardio into your gym routine, or spending a day outside of the gym doing cardio (running or biking for example) or participating in the gym classes they probably have? Zumba is a fan favourite, I would recommend it. But also Boxercise is a good class too, anything that is cardio-tastic! If you want to stick to your current routine, then include 15 minute bursts on the treadmill, stationary bike or cross trainer. But you also risk of spending so much time at the gym! I personally do cardio days and strength days separately.

As for your food intake - it's not enough! And you're also drinking shakes for dinner...that's not good! Shakes should be a post workout solution or a breakfast, but I wouldn't recommend drinking one just for your dinner. You are working your muscles but you are not helping muscle recovery because you're not eating enough real protein. You should focus your meals on chicken, turkey, eggs or fish. For dinner, half of your plate should be veggies, a quarter should be protein and the last quarter should be grains...kind of like this:

Also, water is your new best friend! I try to drink a pint of water every 3 hours and more if I workout. I hope this all helps. Your body is a fire; the food is your fuel and exercise is the air - too much of either one will burn out your fire and stall weight loss. Finding a balance is key, and it takes trial and error, but you'll get there.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote