Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #1  
Newmala

S/C/G: 193/170/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Hired for a job because of my weight

It sounds weird..and it's not the ONLY reason I got the job but I think it has a lot to do with it.
I was recently hired as an assistant through a friend of a friend. I didn't think much of it at the time but I remember my friend telling me that my future employer wanted to see a picture of me but also asked about my features. My friend told her I wasn't skinny but I wasn't obese either and then showed her a picture of me on facebook. The employer responded with a comment about how she doesn't like people skinnier than her (which makes a lot of people because she is really skinny!)
Well, months into the job, i'm beginning to learn why they wanted a new assistant...because her husband was becoming a little too friendly with the last one (super skinny, young and blonde).
I'm not sure how to feel about this...should I be insulted that she didn't think there was a chance in **** her husband would be interested in me? Has anyone else been hired or fired because of their weight??
Newmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/155/135

Height: 5'9"

Hmm. I think if I were you I would hope I was over analyzing things. It's always insulting to be an obvious non-threat, but that really might not be what is going on. In my experience the kind of douchebag that will hit on his wife's assistant will hit on anybody who is receptive. Maybe you seem respectable and not like a total floozy.
BebeFeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #3  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Wow. I am sorry you are having to go through that. That is : ( I would be insulted. But I am also overly sensitive so...
I hope it works out. It sounds like someone needs to say something to the husband though. : /

Bebefeid: that's a good way of looking at it!

Last edited by beahawkins; 02-04-2013 at 11:34 PM.
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #4  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

I got a job as a waitress a few years ago that I had been trying for for quite some time.. coincidentally the owner decided I was perfect for the position after I had dropped 70 pounds... hmmm.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'5

It kind of sounds like the woman you're working for may be in denial. I guess there's a remote possibility that this woman's husband really does just go for the skinniest woman in the room, and that by making sure she's the skinniest woman in the room, her husband will be attracted to her. But what's more likely is that there's something else going on-like that he's a jerk who hits on other women when he's married! She may not be ready to deal with that, and weight is an easy thing to hide behind sometimes. If you're "safer" than the blond, it's probably because you're more trustworthy. Don't let your boss push her insecurities off onto you-they're her problem, not yours.
summerkate83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #6  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I didn't get hired by a company after scoring highest out of everyone that applied because I was to thin to be carrying the weight that the job required. I was little but strong, at that time I ended up at UPS where I handed 100 pound boxes to the bulk guys, I was only about 120 but weight lifted. Anyway my point is that u got the job, didnt get denied because of your weight, could have been because she felt u just weren't the hubby's type or it could have very well been that u gave a darn good interview. I just worry about what happens when she sees your weight dropping, or her husband hits on you. Don't let it irk u just do your job and u might want to avoid any contact with the hubby.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #7  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Let's just assume that you got it because your boss asked your friend and she told her what an awesome and responsible person you are...honestly, with the job market the way it is, the last thing you want to do is make yourself miserable where you are because you're over-analyzing things. Even if that was part of the decision-making process, that's just all the more reason to prove to them that they made the right choice, albeit by flawed methods, by kicking serious butt at doing your job. As someone about to be unemployed, I'd much rather have a job for a stupid reason than not have one...
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 11"

It is an interesting story for sure - and I feel pretty bad for your boss! She is clearly wicked insecure and with reason - her husband is a cad. Doesn't she realize he will see other women outside of her and her office team? And she can't control that?

Lame!

I wouldn't worry about it - even if she did pick you as a "safe" option, don't read too much into it. If you like the job and do it really well then that is what matters. People hire and fire for 10000 different reasons, some of them legit some not so legit. In the end, as long as you're not asked to do something illegal or morally reprehensible their reasons don't matter as much as your comfort in the job and ability to kick it's butt!!!
Ready2Lose2013 is offline   Reply With Quote