Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/180

Default New (ish) have some questions :)

I'm newer posting to these part of the forums. I was mainly on the Ideal Protein part of the forums, but since I found the program too expensive and restricting, I'm just in the process of weening myself off the program. I plan on taking the tools and information I've learnt from IP (great program-lost 20lb to kick start my loss, just not affordable or for everyone) and going about losing my weight on my own...

however...its very overwhelming and I don't even know where to start since I've always done fad diets (obviously not working).

I thought I'd ask how you guys go about losing weight, what has worked for you? what hasnt? What do some of your typical days look like while losing weight, what do you eat, what kind of excercise?

Just curious to get as much support and inspiration and a littl bit of guidance!

You know what they say, you have to want to change to be committed and successful. At 21, almost 22 I've finally reached a point of wanting to change and staying committed! I'm excited for this journey

Thanks! look forward to talking to you more.
nightprowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #2  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

First of all, I'd like to say congratulations on your loss so far! 20 pounds is a great start. Also glad to see you're over the whole fad diet thing...the weight will just creep back!

As for myself, I'm currently trying "The Belly Fat Cure" which limits myself to 15 grams of sugar and no more than 120 grams of carbs / 6 servings of carbs a day. I'm a little stricter with the carbs, aiming for no more than 3-4 servings daily. Within one of his books (I've seen some at the library so no need to spend $$$ for the books!), there are methods of carb swaps, a fast track plan (I did this for 14 days), and other meal plans based on how YOU like to eat. So far, I've lost about 8 pounds as of September 1st. (Though prior to that, I was doing nothing to watch my weight, so my body went through a woosh in the beginning.)

When it comes to exercise, I'm a heck of a lazy person. I hate running and am severely out of shape. I try to exercise 5x a week for at least half an hour. I tend to just do anything that keeps my heart rate up - whether it be Cardio X from P90X, DDR Workout Mode, just random stupid dancing to upbeat music, stationary bike, etc.

I noticed my biggest weakness is feeling let down when I weigh myself daily and see a gain, even if I know the previous day I was OP. (Okay, I told myself I wouldn't be sensitive, but I am!) So I finally decided it's not just a numbers game - I'd measure myself, base things off my energy level, anything just to keep myself positive.

I know this is a long read, but I hope to see you around and committed! we're also around the same age, so who knows? Maybe we have similar mentality?
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/219/140

Height: 5'10"

Congrats on your loss this far!

I've found that every time I do some sort of diet or food restriction I give up and fail miserably. I've recently started calorie counting and it's working out great! The more I lose, the more I want to eat healthier... so I guess it works out very well!

I limit myself to 1,400-1,600 calories per day that way as I get closer to my goal, I'll have more wiggle room and I can lower calories to lose those last few pounds!

As for exercise, I lift weights 3x/week and do some sort of fun cardio for 30min 3x/week. I'd prefer doing weights everyday, but I need something to melt the fat off
BreakingUpWith90lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/180

Atarimae Haha, we do have the same mentality! I actually was feeling bummed this morning because the scale is up 2.5 lbs since last week, was 5lbs earlier, happened to be a tonne of water weight that I've been flushing out. Also a little bit of gain from going off such a strict diet. Trying not to let it get me done, I know it's a slow process and rewarding process!
nightprowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #5  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I have found that keeping track of both food and exercise on a website like LiveStrong's Daily Plate or My Fitness Pal (there are tons, each has pros and cons so I would search around and see what you like best) which will help me set caloric and exercise goals works best for me. Whenever I have done a fad diet or any type of restriction, I do great and then of course you cannot keep up with that type of lifestyle for so long. I would lose weight and then end up gaining it back.

So I firmly believe in moderation and exercise, scientifically proven to help you lose weight and be healthier in mind, body, and spirit!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote