Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Default Plateau at Overweight line.

I've been on a plateau for so long. Plateau of just under obese and really over weight that I'm having trouble shaking. I've been gaining and losing with my stress but all within about 7 pounds. This week I've lost 5 pounds but I'm hoping to keep going and break this. It's awkward to feel like I've come so far in my journey and I don't want it to just end like this. My goal was to wear a bikini for the summer but every time I put it on I felt like I needed to lose like 5 more pounds and would take it off. I'm in smaller clothes even though I haven't dropped weight really since May. Maybe if I can keep up with my 4.5 cups of green vegetables a day with whatever else I eat I will continue to lose. I'm trying to eat healthy but there are times when I do go days without eating vegetables if I don't force myself. My current goal is to get my body down to the 130s. If I plateau there I wouldn't feel as bad as this plateau in the 140s. I just don't feel like I should still be in highly overweight category (according to the BMI). Has anyone else went through this?

I also kind of feel weird complaining because it's not like I gained back a whole bunch of weight and had to start over but I can't seem to force myself to push my body to the limit to drop the last set of weight. I still see a chubby person. When people are like you wear a size 4/6/8 why are you stressing about being smaller, I keep thinking that pant size is only small for a tall person. I'm short I really should be like a size 0 or in children's clothes if I can make it to the normal BMI range. I've also lost my romance in my relationship and feel like I'm not into anything intimate. It's just feeling like I need to snap out of it.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #2  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

It sounds like you're not just going through a weight plateau, you're going through a bit of a LIFE plateau. I haven't lost the kind of weight that you have, but I understand being so dedicated to reaching your goal that you get blinded to everything else. I don't think it's complaining at all. You're working so hard, it's only reasonable that you want to see the kind of results that you used to get!

I don't think that you are done losing weight, but even if you are, the weight that you have lost is a HUGE accomplishment. You should be really proud. You certainly aren't the first person to go through a plateau. A friend of mine lost and gained the same five pounds for a YEAR, but eventually she got past it. You can do it too!

You have control of your body, not the other way around. If you want to keep losing, then keep being healthy and you will. Change up your routine and see if that helps. Join a new kind of exercise class or find an interesting video to work out with online that you've never tried before.

Good luck. You're amazing!
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #3  

Thanks for responding... I was beginning to wonder if I was going crazy for posting it. I think I will try so new stuff into my routine or some old stuff that I had forgotten like my jane fonda workout and lifting weights on my break at work. I already exercise like 4-6 hours per week but if I do a different type of workout instead of all Zumba maybe it will shock my system. I really hope this plateau doesn't last a year but it would be better than it staying like this for the rest of my life. I try to feel proud of the weight I've kept off since it's been over 2 years since I've started this journey.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #4  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Do you eat back some calories after you burn them? I try to eat half back o a little below.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #5  

I eat after exercising but I have never really monitored it before.. I usually end up eating like protein or dinner.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #6  
Goal is health

Maybe try getting in some extra calories. Especially if you had an intense workout. I never thought eating back exercise calories would work but it does for me. So try maybe like a protein shake and then eat dinner on top of that later

Last edited by DrivenByAmbition; 09-02-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #7  

Yeah I was feeling fatigued a bit this week but since I have never counted calories before its a good possibility that I need more. I have been only trying to eat when I'm hungry but I might have to force myself to eat a little more. After I eat like 4 cups of vegetables I don't feel like eating more than that do this week I decided to put fruit back into my diet.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #8  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

I can relate to what you're feeling. I've been slugging it out for these final 15-20 pounds and like yours my body seems to resist getting out of this weight range despite kicking up the exercise (heaving lifting) and watching calories. I was reading another thread where Kaploids shared how she sees success in how much weight loss she has maintained. It made me think about the fact that I have been down 100+ pounds from my highest weight for 4 years and that's something. Look at all you have accomplished with your health, wearing the smaller sizes, etc. and where you could be if you didn't take this journey to get healthy and lose weight. This may help you get out of your "funk" about your weight loss plateau.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #9  

Thanks everyone! I've been trying to eat more since posting on this thread and I feel less fatigued. Still getting in my 4.5 cups of vegetables and I'm still losing. My stomach is looking flat again like it used to. I really hope this means I'll be back in the 130s soon. I just have to avoid alcohol when I'm out with my friends.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #10  
Goal is health

No need to avoid, just use moderation. Glad upping your eating has helped. I honestly would have never thought you would have to eat more to lose, but your body needs to be fueled after exercising. (you meaning me, lol) Keep us updated.

Last edited by DrivenByAmbition; 09-05-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5,6

I know I had the same problem for a while so now I eat more seeds and less, and nut butters to help me now I am losing.. I find when I eat more I tend to loose more that week..
savynaturalista is offline   Reply With Quote