Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #1  

Default New, Hoping for a boost of encouragement!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have been taking the time to read a lot of your posts and profiles detailing how much weight you've been losing, things like achievements/frustrations, etc., and it made me want to join.
I'm 24 and have always been overweight (was born at 9 lbs!) and since I was 12 I've been suffering through the same agonizing cycle of yo-yo dieting, negative self talk, having to hear negative comments from others, eating emotionally, exercising, starting it all fresh and giving it up all together. It's such a nightmare.
I'm 5'2" and 163 pounds and would love to lose 20-30 lbs. I'm just like so many of you in that I love food! I love smelling it, making it, looking up new recipes, trying new restaurants, and I think the biggest mistake I've made in the past is telling myself I can't have any of that if I want to lose the weight. I want to do this now, and I want to do it right- slow and healthy, and I think a 1500 calorie daily plan and starting off with walking 3-4 times/week will be doable and not too difficult.
I'd love to get any tips or encouragement from anyone out there who thinks I could benefit from it, and I hope that this forum becomes a good place to share successes, frustrations, or anything in between. Hope you're all well!
healthyhijabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #2  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!! You should check out the calorie counters forum. I've always yoyoed and felt deprived, negative self talk, the whole shebang. Calorie counting is the answer, in my opinion. You can have anything as long as it fits into your calories, and reading in th CC forum should convince you. There are sooo many maintainers in there who count calories. I think it really helps weight loss become a lifestyle change because it teaches you about moderation and portion size, how to eat out without gaining, and allows you to be creative with your food intake. Strict or ultra specific plans, in my opinion, are too restrictive and always make me feel miserable and binge. And if you just turn your brain off and eat what someone tells you to, you don't acquire the skills you need for maintenance.
I'm not sure you asked, lol, but thats my advice for getting started in your situation. I've been there! You've found the best weight loss tool in the toolbox here though, all the support you could ever want is here on 3fc.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #3  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Your plan sounds good to me. I do calorie counting as well and it's awesome for those of us who love diverse foods (the whole nothing is off limits as long as it's within your calorie target). Know that you can do this! Stick with it and you'll definitely achieve your goals. Congrats on getting started and good luck on your journey. Hope to see you around the boards on 3fc!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #4  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Welcome!
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #5  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Hey, welcome healthyhijabi! Assalamu alaikum as well, (I'm assuming from "hijabi").

Your plan sounds really good and doable. I've also struggled with always being overweight, so I know where you are coming from. You seem to have your stuff down, so my only advice to you would be remember that you can do this! Sometimes I get to a point where I am so frustrated and feel like I can't go any longer, but I just keep in mind my reason for losing weight in the first place and it keeps me going.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing you around!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

welcome! your plan sounds great to me.
Ash2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/203/135

Height: 5'4

i'm doing almost the exact same thing - slow and steady. i feel like when i've lost before i've always pushed myself too hard in the beginning and burnt out because of that. not doing it for the fastest weight loss this time will hopefully lead to more maintainable results

as far as cooking, i'm right with you. i've made 3 things off skinny taste just this past week (started calorie counting exactly a week ago) and they've all been AMAZING despite the low cals. spinach lasagna has been my favorite so far - so easy to portion out as well which is huge for me. GOOD LUCK and ill see ya around!

Last edited by rubybelle; 04-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.
rubybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #8  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!!! Plan sounds good to me!
I use myfitnesspal.come to track my calories; it is wonderful and keeps me accountable.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote