Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #1  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Default I need some advice...I'm not too thin, am I?

I need some advice from people who aren't used to seeing me before. Hopefully you all can help :s

Today when I got home from work my mom cornered me and asked me if I had lost more weight. I said no. She asked me how much I weighed and when I told her she said "that much? I don't believe you." I said "fine, I'll step on the scale and show you" because I figured it would stop all of this nonsense. It weighed me something like 122, which makes sense considering I had clothes on, it was later in the day, etc.

I went to the gym tonight for my weight training class and saw my mom talking to the owner of the gym. She's known us for years and helped me learn about fitness as a teenager. I heard my mom telling her that I weighed around 120 and my mom later told me that she was asking her if I was eating!

Other people at the gym have been telling me "oh, too much now." or "don't lose any more." I tell everyone I'm not trying to, but I have to hear all the time how I look like I've lost weight and I need to stop, etc.

I talked to my mom and told her that 118 is right in the middle of the healthy range for my height and I told her that I likely look smaller to a lot of people because I lift very heavy weights—much heavier than any other woman at the gym. I explained how muscle is much more dense and someone can be small but weigh more than you think. I told her I need to eat more than someone else at the same weight and I'm trying to figure out how much that is. This was in response to her telling me that I'm "just not built to be small," and her asking what I take for lunch.

Trust me, I'm eating A LOT of food. It's...just all good food and I'm exercising a lot.

But still I'm questioning myself now, wondering if I went too low. But I know that everyone is used to the bigger me and this is shocking to them. Maybe you all can give me an outside perspective.

So did I go too far? These pictures aren't the best. I'm in a poorly-fitting bra and shirt (which is why I didn't use them as my official 118lb pictures), but they'll do for now. Please be honest, and thank you for reading it all :<
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad_progress.jpg (76.0 KB, 423 views)
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

I am your height. No, I don't think you are too thin. 118 is healthy. -- I am aiming for 125 for now. I struggled staying below 120 in the past, but I loved how I looked 115-119 range.

Last edited by Sum38; 02-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

How old are you? You seem small in the pix. But it is hard to tell with the small size of the photo.

If you are 5'3" then 122 sounds ok for your height.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #4  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

I honestly think you look perfect right now. People are probably not used to seeing you thin.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

It's hard to tell from the small photos, but you do look very thin...the kind of thin you'd see on a celebrity. Congrats to you for being so fit and healthy!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #6  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I have a theory that when you spend a lot of your life overweight the people around you freak out if you start getting thin - as if they're not used to it and think you look unnatural because they're so used to seeing you fat. It's frustrating, annoying and it's hard to communicate with those people.

I tell people I'm aiming to get to 130 lbs. Am I killing myself trying to get there? No. I am not. But even so they say "oh no, that's way too thin." One day when I walked into the kitchen my Dad said "can you stop losing weight now." I'm honestly not sure if he was being serious...I just laughed it off.

The point is is that you're now doubting yourself because of an overly protective mother. She should respect you and trust you and not corner you like that. Are you happy? If the answer is yes then that's all she should care about. If you were sticking your fingers down your throat then I would understand her persistent nagging (I know you've mentioned her before), but you're not - you're eating a lot of food and balancing it with exercise. That's perfectly healthy.

You look fantastic, you have worked hard and it has paid off. Do you feel healthy? Do you feel you push yourself too much or are you completely comfortable with the way you live? Do you think you look too thin? Because we can't judge that - you should be the one to do it - not anyone else.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/106/96

Height: 5'2

I'll be very honest...

I'm your height and your weight. I think you're getting the reactions you're getting because you were formerly overweight and the difference is shocking to people who knew you before. I have never been overweight. At "our" present weight nobody comments that I am too thin even though my size 25 jeans are getting too loose and I'm having to size down to 24s. I plan on losing another 10 lbs or so personally, but I might decide to stop before then. Even my doctors think this is fine, as my BMI was healthy at my highest and will be healthy if I lose 10 more pounds. I have a few friends around our height and the majority are in the 100-125 range... all of them look great! Everyone is built differently. You sound like you're being healthy, eating plenty, not obsessing, and your body is at a happy place. I think you look beautiful where you are!!!!
Soon2BSlender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 135/131/115

Height: 5' 4.5"/164cm

i think you're at a good weight. don't try to gain to please others, such as your mom. that's just as unhealthy as losing weight to please others.
gogosj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #9  
go ticker go!

S/C/G: 291/245.4/195

Height: 5'10"

I think you look awesome, not too thin, and you feel healthy and are at a healthy weight so don't worry about it! She is probably still adjusting to seeing you this way.
begoodjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #10  
Canadian on the Inside

Height: 5' 6"

If I may say so (and you can just ignore me otherwise)... I think you look hot. Definitely not "too thin" (although, like some people have mentioned, we might not be able to tell completely from the pictures).
Paja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #11  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I think you have a healthy attitude, a healthy program, and a healthy body. At your height/weight, it sounds perfect to me. Looking at your photos I didn't think you were skeletal. People have a hard time adjusting to the new you and your mom is concerned. Why the person at the gym would agree with her tho, I don't know. Educate your mom and let her know that you're living healthfully now and she need not worry so much.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #12  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

You'll know you're too thin when *you* think you're too thin.

I think your mom is unused to seeing you like this so she's going to think you're too thin no matter at what weight you're at.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7

Keep in mind that as you do weights your lean mass is likely to be higher than average which throws off BMI calculations

See if your gym has someone trained to administer multi point skinfold tests.
That will estimate your body fat percentage which can be a better health indicator than scales/bmi when you're lean.

Last edited by Tourny; 02-16-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

You look dang good to me!
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Your weight is my goal! I can't wait to be your size! You look great! Maybe it's because the weight loss was a short journey (meaning not over like 3 years or something like that) that people are not comfortable with it yet.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote