3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Has anyone seen "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/248128-has-anyone-seen-fat-sick-nearly-dead.html)

nevaeh1984 12-09-2011 04:27 AM

While they are effective to lose weight quickly I don't find them "filling" at all... Especially not now in winter :( I feel juicing or going 100% non solid for a day or two is fine, but more than that I really begin to feel drained, but it's just my personal experience.

Also as someone mentioned, the main problem with this diet and so many others is how to live like this, how to maintain this lifestyle for a long time.

Symmetry 12-12-2011 04:09 PM

Just watched the movie, the guy clearly stated that he didn't expect to do juice fast forever, but instead consider it a kickstart of sorts. It probably would be okay for those who want to try, you can learn nutrition and meal plans after/ while fasting to make sure you won't go berserk on binge afterwards.

I've been trying to drink green juices for.. like a week before watching the movie (for skin breakout), and watched for nutritional info (I barely can stand a glass/ day, definitely not going to try even a whole day of just green juice). Granted, it's very tempting, isn't it, just 60 days and losing so much. xD

cat eyes 12-14-2011 06:11 PM

Wow omg! I saw this movie a few days before OP first posted! I reallllllly enjoyed and did learn a few things :) As soon as i was done i visited his website,pretty cool, the juicers are a bit pricy but theyre def worth it. Does anyone know of/own any good juicer b/w 30-50$? I reallly want one but cant afford the 200$ and up ones yet...thanks

fortheloveoflife 12-17-2011 01:54 AM

I just saw this documentary on Netflix last night and I too wanted to run out and buy a juicer to become a lean, green machine.

However, I would not feel comfortable doing a juice fast for longer than a few days without medical supervision, especially while strenuous exercise is involved. I definitely think it'd be a good way to "clean the pipes" but, I'm not sold on it for an actual weight loss tool for any lengthy period of time. Also, the lack of protein worries me. Muscle loss is a concern for anyone on a diet; the more you keep the more calories you burn!

patchworkpenguin 12-17-2011 11:48 AM

Hubby and I watched it the other night. Its a great story with many excellent points about processed food, but neither of us wants to do juicing or fasting, but it has inspired us to add more whole fruits and veggies to our diet and be more active overall.

Symmetry 12-17-2011 04:07 PM

I've decided to add a glass of 'green' juice into my daily diet (honestly, the veggies I use are mostly white/ purple), but yeah.. I don't think I can commit to fasting yet/ anytime soon.

Look around in youtube, many people are doing the fast and some of those are really informative! (I just watched this)

bonbonj24 02-12-2012 03:44 PM

I watched this a couple of days ago and decided to give it a shot. I am planning on doing 1 week as kind of a cleanse, then adding a healthy lunch and juicing for bfast and dinner. I found the hamilton beach big mouth pro on amazon for about $75. consumer reports gave it a higher ranking than any other.

pixelllate 02-12-2012 05:40 PM

Well at the end of the doc, it shows that they maintained their low weight (Joe and that trucker) so I don't think that they suffered from starvation mode (that and I am skeptical about whether starvation mode even exists)
What I think is key is that once he started going back to eating, he ate healthy food and probably watched the amount that he ate.
I liked it, i'm also kinda fascinated by how long people can live on pretty much their own fat + veggie juices (makes me wonder how long I can live on mine)
Personally, if I got a juicer, I'd drink it along with a lower cal/healthier diet unless I heard that it would improve my health by a TON, I'd rather just go with a happy middle. Even just dieting right now is not fun! (but I'm trudging through...go away nutella!!)

Precious Little 02-21-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunSize (Post 4127481)
Yes I love that movie! I think Joe is HOT (shh..) lol! But I've re-watched it at least 10 times. I have yet to do a juice fast but I really want to once I get ahold of a juicer. If not a full fast but a "fast" day once a week.

He is handsome! The site I got this photo from called him "MAN CANDY" haha. I have to agree.

Here he is for your viewing pleasure:

http://i.acdn.us/image/A1718/1718197/300_1718197.jpg

Now, back onto the topic of juicing and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, I have watched it twice now and am really keen to try juicing. I found Joe's story resonated with me because I have a similar condition to what he had and this is another reason for me to try and detox and 'health-ify' my life.

I have a juicer on order (sooo excited about it!) and can't wait to get started. I'm probably not going to try fasting with it to start with. I'll just use it to incorporate more fruit & veg into my diet. As time goes on depending how I feel I may give the shorter juice fasts a try and work with it from there.

Veela 02-21-2012 09:09 PM

On the topic of "starvation mode" juice fasting isn't exactly fasting you really aren't depriving your body of food or nutrients. I would think the main macro-nutrient missing from this diet would be fat but you can have coconuts, avocados and even nuts if you feel particularly peckish. You are also allowed to eat whole fruits or vegetable if you are feeling the need to munch there are various version of this particular program and starvation isn't really what happens.

If you were to eat 4 cups of fruit and veggies in one sitting you would be stuffed and from what I have read and watched (youtube) few people actually feel hungry on the diet unless they were eating an excessive number of calories to begin with.

It is not restrictive you are allowed to drink as much juice as you want and the focus should be on juicing vegetables rather than fruit (they should be used in moderation to add a touch of sweetness) since fruit can cause drastic spikes in insulin levels. Fruit juices should be taken in the morning when your body is most able to handle the insulin spike.

Also Joe states on his website that one of the juice recipes they have contains 8 grams of protein which is the same as a hard boiled egg white.

As for the purpose of a juice fast it is actually meant more to allow your body kind of a break from digesting food and focus more on eliminating things in your system that may be unhealthy. It is a great way to help your body deal with food allergies and also heal from any recent digestive troubles. It also can help some people deal with food addictions and break their reliance on food as an emotional crutch when all you can turn to is a glass of juice you start reassessing why you are wanting to eat in the first place. Weight loss is kind of a side effect I am not sure this should really be looked at as a "crash diet" more so a jump start to a healthier life.

The main things to be concerned about is that people are informed about how to properly break a fast of any kind. For a juice fast the amount of time you fasted for will dictate the amount of time you should spend breaking it. It's not like you fast for 60 days and then go back to eating hamburgers. It is meant to jump start a healthier mind-set and lifestyle which is why when followed correctly a juice fast can help people to stay on track for weight loss.

Most common problems with juice fasting occur from being unprepared, and breaking it improperly. Also some people complain of constipation and loose stools both can be fixed by the inclusion of prunes either juiced or whole or by adding some of the fiber that is removed from the juice back in.

The only nutrient you cannot get from fruits and vegetables is B12 which can be found in other sources such as kombucha tea and other fermented foods. As long as your fast includes a wide range of fruits and veggies it should be safe and healthy so long as you listen to your body and recognize your own limitations.

Sorry folks I wrote a book this is something that has recently caught my interest so I researched the heck out of it!

Mneri05 02-22-2012 11:44 PM

I have, I do not plan to detox but my father in law did it and in the course of like 30 days lost around 50 pounds. He has been taking drastic measures to lose weight because almost 400 lbs has taken its toll on his health and it has worked. He has so much energy helps around the house more. I am amazed he has a whole new attitude and said he does not even craze junk food. The juices keep him so balanced that all those cravings have disappeared. Since just before thanksgiving he has lost around 75 lbs and looks amazing. He is now drinking juice and eating two small light meals a day. The transformation is unbelievable. I would swear by this for anyone who has that fear of their weight taking their health. AMAZING ISNT EVEN A GOOD ENOUGH WORD TO DESCRIBE THE TOTAL TURN AROUND THIS MAN MADE WITH THE JUICE DIET. You do have to do it right though and get a ton of fruits and veggies and be able to tolerate the veggie juices to stay balanced. Good luck to anyone deciding to do this diet.

FunSize 02-23-2012 12:15 AM

I should jump in because I did a juice fast for 10 days last month. It was AMAZING!! I did not detox because I was on a vegan diet (plus no caffeine) for a month prior to starting.
My mind was SO clear.. I miss it. I remember taking a shower and just everything being sharp and clear. My thoughts, my senses, etc.
I actually didn't lose a lot of real weight.. 2lbs?? But I definitely would do it again!
I still juice everyday.. carrot, apple & celery is my fav!

jessica2231 02-23-2012 08:59 AM

is it on netflix? Id really like to see it!

jessica2231 02-23-2012 09:04 AM

it is on netflix for anyone who wants to watch it. :)

Isabunny 04-11-2012 10:44 AM

I watched this movie in December on Netflix and have been thinking about starting a juice fast every sense. Just watched the movie again, bought a juicer, Tumbler glasses with straws, and am starting a 60 Day Juice Diet today. I am very excited! Does anyone want to join me?