Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Any runners out there?

Hi!
So back in May I started my weightloss by running. I went from not running for 4 years (since I graduated high school) to now; I'm running a 10K on Thanksgiving! I figured if there were any runners on here it'd be fun to give advice and talk about what our routines are. Right now my routine is just training for the 10K (and trying to combat the soreness that happens after I do a long run). After the 10K I'm thinking about switching to running intervals. What are you ladies up to?
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I also started running in May with the c25k program. I literally started on the couch having never run outside in my life. Since May I've lost close to 40 pounds and found that I really love running. I did a 10k on a very hilly course in September and finished in 1 hour and 21 min.

My training is all over the place. I'll have a gung ho stretch and then 2-3 weeks where I get maybe 3 runs in. Where I'm hanging on to my progress by a thread. I usually run 5-6 days a week outside and am still following the c25k program. Earlier today I ran 2.25 miles, which for me was pretty good. Right now I'm training for a 5 mile Turkey trot on the 19th and a day after thanksgiving 5 miler. I'm hoping these races will help me survive the week of Thanksgiving. Good Luck with your Training. There's something about running that is just so empowering.

Last edited by Scarlett; 11-13-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I started running to lose weight, because I figured it doesnt take a lot of hand eye co-ordination (like sports) or a lot of expensive equipment or other skill either! Well, at least to begin with. I first started running about 3 mins then walking 3 mins, etc for 45 mins a go. That was about 4 years ago, the week before last I completed my first half marathon! I really love it. Lately I havent been running a lot (a bit over it after the half) but I really want to get back into it. Going to test my ankle out tomorrow, since I think i did something funky to it in the half
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/159/150

Height: 5'8

hey there!
I started jogging on July 1st! From not being able to run for a minute I cam to regurally jogging for about an hour! It0s a great and easy sport, tho I'm working on adding strenght trainings to my routine right now.
I'm preparing to run a 10 km on May 19th. Hope my time will be under 50 mins, since they recommend it. Right now I make about 6 to 8 km in 1 hour.
aleksandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 306/168/150

Height: 5'5"

I started running about 4 years back and what i've found works for me is rotations throughout the month. and constant change up. One week i'll just run. another week I'll just jog uphill on the treadmill. and another week I'll sprint intervals. I try to never really do the same exact speed for the same amount of time or the same intervals. constant change.

My favorite is to run outside. I like running out a long distance, run run until i feel like i cant...just to see how far i can go, and then...go back! It gives me such a great feeling of accomplishment
gmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

Height: 5'6"

I've been running for about 2 years now after c25k with no prior running experience since gym class way back when... I mix up my training a few times a year to aim for different goals. first i ran 3-4 times per week working my way up to 5k racing. then I incorporated tempo runs and speedwork to get my 5k time faster. next I started doing triathlons so I went for more mileage but less frequent runs to train the other disciplines and work on endurance. Now I am trying to do a few 10ks and am back to working on speed. next phase will be increasing endurance again b/c I'll be doubling the distance of my triathlons. If you rotate your workouts frequently and incorporate cross training you get bored less often and hurt less often!
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobon View Post
If you rotate your workouts frequently and incorporate cross training you get bored less often and hurt less often!
What sort of cross training would you say is best? I pretty much do the elliptical for cross training (or when I'm not feeling up to running) but it doesn't seem to alleviate the soreness that much.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote