Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/see ticker/110

Height: 4ft 11inches

Default 100lbs to lose where do i start?

I want to lose 100lbs overall that is a healthy weight for my height but the mere thot of it just overwhelms me and i dont even know where to start... can someone give me some pointers and idk maybe a small plan to start off to get me going? id be so greatful
candice1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #2  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I am in the same boat. I lost over 20lbs over the summer by taking little steps: eating healthier, getting active. Take a look around at different plans and see whats a good fit.

Good luck
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I would say it starts with an assessment of your current habits, like keeping a food journal. After you see where you are now you can choose one small thing to change (like one food to drop or add) and then accumulate those small changes over time. If you find a particular diet plan that you would like to follow you will be able to tell how much you have to change to conform to it after your self-assessment.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #4  

My goal is to lose about 85-90 pounds, and I am just starting off. I've decided that instead of going for any structured diet(Atkins, South Beach), I'm going with calorie counting and reduced carbs, and lean proteins. I think that this will work for me since I know that portion control is my problem, and I consume a lot of excess calories in carbs. I also think that it is a plan I can maintain in the long term.

In terms of exercise, I've also started working out 5 days a week, and try to do vinyasa yoga or weights weekly as well.

I came up with my plan by being honest with myself not only about my eating habits, but what would work with my habits. Hopefully it works! And good luck to you as well!
DClady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Start with the first pound. I'm very serious when I say that. Often losing 100 (or 50 or 20 or even 5 sometimes) can seem WAY overwhelming. Don't think of it that way, think of it in stages. And for now, try to lose 1 lb, 5 lbs, some smaller number. It's really great to get a victory under your belt.

As far as plans, try different ones if you want, but do something you'll stick to. Don't make it too strict or too hard on yourself, because if you're like me, that'll have you running for the hills in a while.

You'll do great. You can do this! Many others here have, and you'll be another one.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 10-13-2011 at 12:27 AM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/175

Height: 5 ft 8 inches

Mini-goals. It IS overwhelming to look at that 100. Right now, I am working on losing 25 pounds by Christmas. It's good to have an idea of what you want overall, but if you break it down into smaller chunks, you will feel great when you meet those goals and more motivated to keep going.

You could make your first goal getting down to 199. That's 11 pounds, and won't you feel great getting down to the 100s? 11 pounds isn't such a scary huge number! Then maybe your next goal is working towards getting into the next pant size down. Or a different BMI range. If you have these mini-goals, you get to celebrate your accomplishments more frequently, instead of not celebrating for 100 pounds.

The triple digits are overwhelming for me to think about losing myself, but 3 pounds from now, I won't have 100 to lose anymore!
Astrix83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #7  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

A lot of great advice going on in here! Keep a food journal, or find a website that counts calories for you. I use caloriecount.about.com for this, but there are different ones out there. There's always a debate as to how many calories you should eat in a day, but I think 1800 is a good place to start. Perhaps even 2000.

I'd suggest walking, swimming or cycling as an exercise for you. Just set yourself little targets to do with how long you exercise or how far you get and keep increasing them by 10% each week. As long as you're moving it's good! If you're breaking a sweat, even better - that's the fat crying ;p.

Also, cut out soda and start drinking water - the weight will probably fly off you!

I agree with Astrix about mini goals. When I was started I was in the obese BMI zone, and I have 6 mini goals to reach - a half way point to a borderline BMI range and the borderline itself. Right now I'm on my way to reaching the half way point in the Overweight BMI zone, then after that it's the borderline Overweight/Healthy BMI goal!

Most importantly GET EXCITED! You're taking control of your life, you're going to make the biggest change you'll ever make and you're are going to SUCCEED! Head over the Goal forum on this site and read up on some amazing stories - it's truly inspirational.

Last edited by Riestrella; 10-13-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #8  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

i know how you feel. i think many of us do. i needed 115 pounds to lose when i began. I now have 79. not even 80 anymore lol. Just take baby steps and change your habits. Its ok if it happens slow dont let it frustrate you because slow and steady means life changing. If its slow steady and habit forming you will keep the weight off. I havent excercise since school started but ive been counting calories. Ive lost a total of 36lbs. lol never thought id make it to five. but if your determined and stick with it. you wilL!! and we are all here for you!

oh yes and if youd like a good website to check out look at loseit.com. Or if you have a smartphone there an app for it called loseit.

I also agree Astrix and Riestrella with mini goals. I would say not to make them about food but fun stuff. like for example i owe myself a horse ride. I am finally back to a weight that a horse can have me on its back. actually im 2lbs under. lol

And really just have fun. : )

Last edited by jessica2231; 10-13-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: calorie website
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #9  
Gaining control

S/C/G: 148/131/120

Height: 5'2

I completely agree with the previous poster. Start with things that are manageable. Examples would be, instead of using half n half in your coffee, start using skim milk. Try to cut out one soda a day and replacing it with water. And as you start accomplishing these little things, starting cutting/adding more things. There are some GREAT books out there, I highly suggest
1) The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno
2) Boosting Immunity by Len Saputo

These will give you some great foundations on what are important factors in being healthy, because in the end when you are trying to lose weight, it all boils down to trying to be healthier for whatever reason.
mamamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #10  

okay thank you everybody!!!! these are all great ideas and yes i think that is my problem i want the big picture right away but what i really need to do is take mini steps...
so this morning while i wasnt on here i threw out all my junk food in the house and asked my sister to come get all my juices and pop lmao :S drastic yes but ive been on diets before what seemed to work for me is drastic measures... take it away so its not there ... cant have it... so regardless its gone.. as for my exercise i just had a baby 4.5 months ago so exercise is lacking and consists of running around doing stuff for him and daily walks to the store around the neighbourhood. which helps and its bonding time with my son... i love to dance so im breaking out the old dance dance revolution and putting it on workout mode to burn a certain amount of calories every day.

i do have hypothyroidism which ive joined the post on 3fc too about this so ive got supoprt there. and ill be seeing my doc next month and ill be working with him on getting an eating plan thats right for me which i have a feeling its going to be same one i was on when i was preggo... and it almost killed me but i stuck with it and was actually losing healthy weight while i was preggo... whole grains, carb counting, no sugars and max 1800 cals a day. altho i never even came close to the 1800 because i was too scared to go over...

so thank you all i hope that i actually get somwhere this time and ill keep you posted... good luck with all your goals
Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #11  

I hear you about finding the time to exercise, I have a 4 month old son myself. Pretty sure the majority of my calories burned are from pacing the house carrying him and rocking back and forth!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrix83 View Post
I hear you about finding the time to exercise, I have a 4 month old son myself. Pretty sure the majority of my calories burned are from pacing the house carrying him and rocking back and forth!

lmfao exactely!!!! and my son is teething right now and like never wants to be put down!!! and when i do i have to be visibly dancing like an idiot in the same room trying to do whatever else im doing as well its crazyyyy
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #13  
Pizzatuesday

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'6"

I am on board with the mini-goal solution. This will take time, so occupy the time with small goals you can acheive. I just started Atkins after reading why it works. I hope it works for me! Hang in there, you'll make it.
pizzatuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by candice1022 View Post
lmfao exactely!!!! and my son is teething right now and like never wants to be put down!!! and when i do i have to be visibly dancing like an idiot in the same room trying to do whatever else im doing as well its crazyyyy
Lol. My son is starting to teeth too, I feel your pain. And don't worry, I too have done the 'dancing like an idiot' thing, most often in the kitchen as I put away dishes, etc, to keep my son from crying about being in his chair while I try to get things done. I'm sure the neighbours think I'm nuts, and I KNOW my baby does, because he just stares at me like I've lost my mind! Keeps his attention, though!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/135.8/13?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHR
I would say it starts with an assessment of your current habits, like keeping a food journal.
For me this was really important, especially in the long run. Taking stock of what your habits currently are, both good and bad, can help you figure out what plan is best for you. Look at what food you eat, when you eat it, and why you eat it. For example, I used to eat a lot at night because I had trouble sleeping. I wasn't really hungry, but I ate because I was bored and part of me wanted to stay awake. Almost all of that food was sweets and high calorie snacks as well, so I worked on ways to eliminate them by (1) recognizing if I was hungry, thirsty or just bored and (2) eating healthier snacks if I was actually hungry.

Your life will of course be different from mine and everyone else's, so figuring out the little details in your life's patterns can help you know what advise from others applies best to you.

I also want to second having small mini-goals. For me, each 10lbs felt like an an achievement and so I let myself really feel it. I feel like we deserve the pleasure of meeting mini goals and they provide motivation for reaching the next.

You can do it
flashfacts is offline   Reply With Quote