Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #1  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Talking Tell me I'm not crazy...

Okay. Here's the story:

Weigh in on 5/14 was 207. Weigh in on 5/21 was 205. I started running daily that day, 5/21. I went from running once a week to running 6x a week. I feel great. My muscles are sore almost daily, but not to the point that I need aleve or anything. On 6/3 I decided to drop my cals from 1750 (give or take) to 1550 (give or take, because I calorie cycle, and that's my average..) I *always* drink 124oz of water a day, besides whatever else I consume from foods and if I have like, OJ or whatever. All my food it accounted for and I know I haven't gone over my calories... but.

My weight has done CRAZY things. I'm not really worried, I don't have a time frame to be "done" with all this, but I, like anyone, like to see that number moving down.. Sigh.

5/28: 211
6/4: 209 (and I thought, okay, cool, it was water weight or whatever from worknig out so much. I'll weigh daily now. ) Also, on 6/4 I did the Warrior Dash & my muscles were sore like CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY. Insane day, lol, wonderful and awesome and totally do it again, but I was done by like, 9pm.
6/5: 221 (I literally was all "holy sh*t!" in my bathroom, alone. LOL. I don't generally swear, either. I could not even tell you the last time I did, lol. Whew. My cats came a running, it was so loud.
6/6: 222
6/7: 224
6/8: 222
6/9: 221
Today, 6/10: 219

Thoughts? Have a I gone crazy? I'm not planning to stop my running, I'd like to get my 5K time down a bit, as I have one on 7/9 and others on 9/10 and 9/17. I enjoy running, and I feel AWESOME, so... hmh.

Help? Is it my sore muscles holding on to water and such? I tried searching, but things I found were a few years old and I'd like some fresh eyes and brains on this!

THANKS in advance ladies!!!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Have you checked the battery on your scale? 12lbs in one day is a really big jump. I'd check the batteries and then double check the weight on a different scale.

That said, yes, you very well may be holding on to water. Are you counting your calories very faithfully (weighing and measuring?)
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #3  
is super awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
Have you checked the battery on your scale? 12lbs in one day is a really big jump. I'd check the batteries and then double check the weight on a different scale.

That said, yes, you very well may be holding on to water. Are you counting your calories very faithfully (weighing and measuring?)
New batteries were put in (to the same scale that I've had for my whole journey) on 5/5ish.. It was the first week of May.

And I weigh and measure everything, within reason. I dont like, pop out my scale at resturants or anything, lol... but at home, just as always, religiously.

I'm at a loss. If it keeps going back down, cool, but... Ugh.

Also:

On 5/18-19 we got new floors in the bathroom and kitchen. I checked my scale just after it was installed (that night) and my weight was only up 2lbs, and I attributed that to through-the-day-gain, and having poo and food/water in me, you know? Thats the only other "thing" that could have changed it, IMO.

GRR!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #4  

Perhaps maybe buy a $10 scale just to compare? Also, for 1 week to check your cals like crazy-every single ingredient, everything and consume a "moderate" amount of sodium-too little AND too much can make you retain water. As an experiment, for 1 week, don't go out to eat, unless its for something like a salad-literally greens w/o dressing or oils or anything. A shredded head of lettuce on a plate basically lol, thats the only thing that I 100% trust if I have to count cals. Cardio I read may also bloat you. I doubt that its from building muscles though (like the whole muscle weighs more than fat thing)-which I am sure can happen and I believe in the science of it all, but I think that its more water retention for people like you and me-who do mainly regular running. Have you been pooing regularly and is it close to your TOM? Also, simply time, as long as you aren't consuming an excess of 3,500 cals, you should not be gaining that much "real" weight if you are gaining at all. It took me weeks to start losing weight, and only when I took a very severe hard look at what I was really eating, not just the general cals of a dish, but all the ingredients I put in it to make sure that I was actually eating the right amount to lose weight.

Last edited by pixelllate; 06-10-2011 at 09:35 AM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #5  
is super awesome.

I weighed myself on our industrial scale here at work, and after eating my bagle thin & greek yogurt, I'm at 218.8. So... I don't think my home scale is that far off.

Hhm.

And I'm not going to live on iceberg lettuce for a week, I'm cool. I'm not a head-lettuce fan, I'd much prefer my spinach salads. And I've been doing this nearly a year, and I eat pretty much the same thing every day... To the point that I know what my breakfast and lunch calories are, off the top of my head, every day.. If not the same actual foods, they are the same calories that I know (and love! lol).. Nothing has changed, besides the Warrior Dash and my running. The Warrior Dash was HARD. Like, way way demanding.. It was great muddy fun, but it was hard. I used muscles that I dont think I've ever used, lol. We did it with friends who are in GREAT (marathoner!) shape, and she was sore too, so... Crazy!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/164/135

Height: 5'2

I can totally relate. I started my journey the first of the year and I started at 155, I started out just incorporating healthier foods, creating a more balanced diet and filtering out most of the junk I ate, and most importantly, started exercising regularly. I was most concerned with making exercise a routine for me because that was what I struggled with all my life. I figured once I had a stable trainging routine then I would start the hard core calorie counting. Two months later I weighed 168! I was so angry because I thought I had lost at least ten pounds (I was too scared to weigh myself until I was sure the number would be lower thats why I waited 8 weeks lol). My clothes were loser and I felt a little smaller but it did not show on the scale. And since then, I have done a little more calorie counting but I am still not being too stringent, kinda am trying to keep in the mindset that slow and steady wins the race of course because I have been a yo-yo'er for so long. I still am only down to 160, so plus 5 from where I started, and I cant seem to get away from bouncing between 160 and 163, Im a little frustrated because I fear that I wont get back to the 130's ever again, even thoughI know the actual number is not that important and I do try to keep that in mind. What I have found is that exercise makes it hard to lose weight, lol, Im pretty sure most of that is fluid that is constantly there repairing the muscles after injuring them daily with exercise and also the new muscle that is being built contributes a good bit of weight, at least in my case. Im kinda like you, I have no real deadline, I was hoping to lose all 20 pounds (well 20 poiunds when I started at 155 but when I got up to 168 it turned into 33 pounds, oh my lol) by my birthday which is July 9th, my thinking being that it was a good half a year away and I should have no problem losing the weight by then. I know now that that isnt going to happen. Because of the weird gain (but still losing inches slowly) I am not even sure what my goal weight should be anymore, maybe 140-145? I am hoping I get there by the end of the year but realisticly I think I will have to aim closer to my birthday next year lol. So I guess my point is, no youre not crazy and youre not alone. Its nice to know that Im not alone either in this odd situation
nurse2be03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I weighed myself on our industrial scale here at work, and after eating my bagle thin & greek yogurt, I'm at 218.8. So... I don't think my home scale is that far off.

Hhm.

And I'm not going to live on iceberg lettuce for a week, I'm cool. I'm not a head-lettuce fan, I'd much prefer my spinach salads. And I've been doing this nearly a year, and I eat pretty much the same thing every day... To the point that I know what my breakfast and lunch calories are, off the top of my head, every day.. If not the same actual foods, they are the same calories that I know (and love! lol).. Nothing has changed, besides the Warrior Dash and my running. The Warrior Dash was HARD. Like, way way demanding.. It was great muddy fun, but it was hard. I used muscles that I dont think I've ever used, lol. We did it with friends who are in GREAT (marathoner!) shape, and she was sore too, so... Crazy!
i meant eat something like that if you go out for a restaurant for 1 week-something w/o too many ingredients so its easy to count, not like your only meals all the time, so itd be easier to count cals at least for 1 week-id nvr rec just eating something like just lettuce for real meals ha. my father is a chef and its hard to know the exact cals of things when dining out.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Height: 5'3"

Perhaps your workouts are giving you added muscle mass, as well!
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #9  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

it could just be muscle. from the way it sounds, you just really starting full out running.

also, don't stop running! I would rather be fit and the scale not really moving, then losing weight and be all flabby.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I don't really have anything to add other than what everyone else has said...
but can I please say..Warrior Dash!??!?!
Go you!!!
How was it?! I want to do it when it comes to our area!!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

Whenever I change my workout or do something new, I always (as in, ALWAYS, for the last 10 years) "gain" about 7 pounds. I reckon it's my muscles tearing, literally, into the new routine and retaining water. For me, I gain about 7 pounds, then I stay the same for a bit (as in 2 weeks or so) and the, whoosh, massive loss. Looking at my exercise journal from last month, I went from 189 to 177 in 3 weeks. Granted, some of that was water retention, but, yeah, don't worry about it. I have talked to my friends about it and they all think it's bizarre. I don't think that many bodies work that way, but mine does and my mom's does as well. Don't worry darlin, it's just your muscles holding on to a bit of water. Keep it up and in about 3 weeks there will be a massive scale shift!
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #12  
is super awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill0823 View Post
I don't really have anything to add other than what everyone else has said...
but can I please say..Warrior Dash!??!?!
Go you!!!
How was it?! I want to do it when it comes to our area!!!
It was AMAZING!!! Were doing it again next year! So hard, but sooooooo great!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #13  
is super awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleujean View Post
Whenever I change my workout or do something new, I always (as in, ALWAYS, for the last 10 years) "gain" about 7 pounds. I reckon it's my muscles tearing, literally, into the new routine and retaining water. For me, I gain about 7 pounds, then I stay the same for a bit (as in 2 weeks or so) and the, whoosh, massive loss. Looking at my exercise journal from last month, I went from 189 to 177 in 3 weeks. Granted, some of that was water retention, but, yeah, don't worry about it. I have talked to my friends about it and they all think it's bizarre. I don't think that many bodies work that way, but mine does and my mom's does as well. Don't worry darlin, it's just your muscles holding on to a bit of water. Keep it up and in about 3 weeks there will be a massive scale shift!
I'm hoping! I talked to my doc about it at my appt last week, and she said pretty much, that because my body likes to retain water (I've gained 14lbs during TOM in the past!) that it's just how I am... And it will drop back off.

As of this morning, I was at 215, so it's slowly but surely coming back off.. HURRY!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #14  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

I have absolutely nothing more to add to all the replys that had been made...

Just wanted to say that I just love all the details in the story to explain the situation LOL I litteraly laughed out loud at the cat part's!!!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #15  
is super awesome.

They were. Like... "what the heck!" they came from all over the house.. it was like buffalo!