Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default Why the heck have I gained?

Now, I know that the science of weight loss is calories in, Calories out. But knowing this, I don't know why sometimes the scale really doesn't reflect this. Is it water weight? I have been sticking with my 1400 cal limit-I am not usually very hungry if I stick to this plan, and I also do exercise every single day. Take yesterday for example: we went on a huge hike. I had portioned myself out a carrot, some beef jerky and some cheese sticks. I drank a ton of water on the hike because I get really thirsty during exercise, and I also worked out before I left on the treadmill: intervals for 30 mins. The day before that, I worked out twice; I ran and did treadmill-AND, I went to the movies with my friends and did not eat one bad thing while I was out, even though we all went to a restaurant to eat. I didn't eat anything and instead joined in on the conversation-I was so proud, but then I was a pound up. I guess I know logically that it is only temporary, but I am also down about myself because we went hiking yesterday and my friend took a picture and I looked so much bigger than I thought I looked-and there you have it; I'm feeling a bit down. Any advice? P.S-it's not TOM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #2  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

It's because you went on a hike -- retained water weight from sore muscles. Solution: keep on keeping on with the activity, an STOP weighing in every day!

I hiked yesterday as well, and I am just not weighing myself today. You'll see the difference by the middle of next week... don't let a blip throw off your progress.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #3  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I agree with lackadaisy. Keep with your activity and you will see it. In my experience my hard work shows a couple days later. I don't mind so much the daily weigh ins though as long as you can handle it and recognize daily fluctuations as normals.

Example: I started P90X hardcore 2 months ago and ate nothing but chicken and veggies and eggs. The first 3 days I gained 2 pounds. I wanted to cry. I stopped exercising for a day out of frustration and the next morning it all swooshed off. Then I stalled from stopping exercise! Keep going girl, you WILL see it!
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #4  

That's a relief to hear, guys. Thank you. I am really sore today, but I still have a run to do, so I had better get to it. I guess I just needed reassurance. I know logically that it is physically impossible to not lose weight if you're doing everything well-I measure my food, weigh it if necessary, and try to do everything right. And the biggie is, I am exercising. I haven't really done that consistently in the past, and now I am darn proud of it. In any case, I'm glad to know I'm just flipping out a little.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 249/199/170

Height: 5'10"

It's not physically impossible to eat fewer calories, exercise a lot, and maintain your weight. But it would likely be a sign of a medical problem, such as low metabolism, hypothyroidism, or an endocrine disorder. Since you've lost 17 pounds, you likely don't have a medical problem. But I just wanted to include a note for others who may have the same problem recommending medical testing if the calories in/calories out equation isn't working.
anna ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i agree with the others, its probably just water retention You did some awesome exercise and now your body, probably your legs especially, is like "ahh micro muscle tears! must fix and make stronger!" and apparently it needs water to do that
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #7  

Yeah, I would say-though oddly, though at least two straight miles were uphill and very steep, my legs aren't sore. It's my shoulders and arms that were screaming for mercy when I got up this morning. And then I did my kettlebell workout today. No worries about me giving it up-I guess I was just a little disappointed this morning, but I am OK with it now that I've been reassured. I'm resigned to the fact that I need exercise in my life to get healthier, so I can't give it up-and my diet is pretty awesome, because I eat so many small meals a day, that it's not hard to cut back to 1400 cals. I just want to be a success so badly!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #8  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

How long does one retain the water after sore muscles?
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I usually show a slight gain after a hike. It wears my legs down faster than other forms of exercise. I do notice that I retain a pound or two for a couple of days after an activity like that, so I wouldn't worry too much. I think it's great that you're active and it will pay off! At the very least you will have some great legs!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

For me daily weighing actually helps because then I'm used to the weight fluctuations. If you really want to you can even plot your weight and compare that to the days you work out/what you eat etc to see patterns.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

this is why i hate the scale. i've been doing good for six weeks and i'm dying to know what is says but i refuse to get on it because i know one second on it can undo all my hard work and depress me for weeks on end, enough to give up.. try to forget about it, keep doing what you have been doing and stay off the scale!!
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote