Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #1  
Trimming the fat

S/C/G: 163/163/120

Height: 5'1

Default What are YOUR secrets to healthy cooking?

I wanted to hear what little tips everyone else uses to cook healthy.

Instead of olive oil, I use the olive oil spray when sauteeing. Has the flavor of the real thing but none of the fat.

Greek seasoning. Most amazing stuff ever. I use it on everything in lieu of salt. I'll throw some frozen green beans in a pan, sprinkle some of the seasoning on it and voila! In about 7 minutes I've got tastey, healthy veggies. No nutritional value other than 50mg of sodium.

Worcestershire sauce. I use it as a tenderizer for all of my meats and just overall for some extra flavor.
LadyWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #2  
Amazing will be me

I tend to dry fry or use minimal oil, never purchase convinience foods like microwave meals or burgers ets..........unless there weightwatchers. And i point blank REFUSE to own a deep fat fyer
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #3  
On a mission

S/C/G: 14/14/7 (sizes)

Height: 5'2

I use Mrs. Dash instead of salt and have revisited all of the vegetables I thought I hated.
Turns out I actually LOVE turnips and cauliflower
Mindless Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

I use the broiler setting alot to do veggies. Zucchini under the broiler is amazing.
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #5  
On the way down!

S/C/G: 226/ticker/150

Height: 5'10.75

I like to go on the bodybuilding website and snipe their nutrition tips. They have really really good ones. Fantastic recipes with high protein emphasis, which is what I need as in addition to getting 2OOO calories, I'm aiming for 110 grams of protein, which is not easy with those calorie allotments. I'm liking it and am very excited for this week's weigh in. I may have cheated and checked tonight and I'm down after chugging water and eating after dinner. Oh yay!
redliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/175/140-120

Height: 5'2

I learned how to make mashed cauliflower and it tastes very similar to the mashed potatoes I love so much! Also I switched to olive oil when cooking. Instead of eating regular whole wheat bread I get Ezekiel bread, it is way better for you! One more thing i've changed is my meat intake, now im cooking with more boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of red meat or pork. oooh also more sweet potatoes, they are soooo tasty and extremely good for you!

*Thea*
Tokenfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I take any meal I like and make it healthier or adjust portion sizes, rather than eat "diet" food (yuk lol). I look at a recipe and see what I can take out or alter- 1 tbsp olive oil between 6 servings instead of 5, not adding cream or milk to curries or serving with yoghurt, brown rice instead of white, whole grain sandwich bread instead of thick white toast....I dunno what else I do! I just kinda do it now ^_^ Bulk up on veg, thats a good one Feel full, feel satisfied....have dessert
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Love these ideas!

> Using applesauce instead of oil for cakes, muffins, cookies
> Using potato instead of cream for creamy soups (cream of broccoli, etc)
> Eating sweet potatos instead of regular potatos when I can
> Yogurt instead of sour cream/mayo. Add a pinch of dill to the yogurt and it's even better.
> Steaming veggies in a vegetable steamer instead of stir-frying them
> Using lemon pepper seasonings and a squeeze of lemon on those steamed veggies instead of butter
> Homemade salsa (diced roasted onions, tomatos, chili, cilantro, lime, salt) and pita for snack cravings, or for a salad topping
> Sneaking vegetables and fruit into food whenever I can (chopped carrots and bell peppers into homemade tomato sauce, carrots/apples/bananas into muffins, spinach into my smoothies)
> BRAN! Adding a little bit to baked food.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 251/238/151

Height: 5'5"

For things like chili, sloppy joes, tacos- soy crumbles. Morning star has it in the frozen foods section. Nobody can tell the difference, i swear! Vie served it several times without even saying anything and nobody could tell. And i have some picky eaters in my house!

Red meat once or less a week. Bagels only on Saturday's, and only a half on one.

Have cut up fresh veg on hand at all times. Natures snack for on the go, inn a hurry, mindless night time munching.

Air pop my popcorn. The stuff in a bag is not healthy, not to mention the chemicals in the bag it's self.
Ishisnowcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #10  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokenfatgirl View Post
I learned how to make mashed cauliflower and it tastes very similar to the mashed potatoes I love so much! Also I switched to olive oil when cooking. Instead of eating regular whole wheat bread I get Ezekiel bread, it is way better for you! One more thing i've changed is my meat intake, now im cooking with more boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of red meat or pork. oooh also more sweet potatoes, they are soooo tasty and extremely good for you!

*Thea*
Do you have a recipe or tips for your mashed cauliflower? I am trying to cut down on my carbs and mashed cauliflower would be a great replacement for mashed potatoes.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I replace whatever I can with veggies, or try to cut the cals some way. Or, even if it doesn't call for it, I still like to put veggies into stuff to get more nutrition in for less cals, and so that I'll be filled up faster. For instance, I make cabbage lasagna, where I boil cabbage leaves and use them as the noodles. I make spaghetti squash spaghtetti with spinach and bell peppers in the sauce. When I make quiche, I fill it with tuna or salmon and load it with veg. cucumber, tomato, carrots, spinach, it's all delicious. If it's burgers, it's a little meat and a lot of veggies and beans, kind of like a veggie burger hybrid. Once in awhile, I make home made pizza-I don't use pepperoni, but I do use chicken sometimes and load it with vegitables galore. Sauce is relatively light if you make your own and don't add a lot of oil. I just try to slip the veg in any way I can to take up more room, and to add more flavor.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #12  
Carelessy Creative

S/C/G: 211.5/164.3/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokenfatgirl View Post
I learned how to make mashed cauliflower and it tastes very similar to the mashed potatoes I love so much!

*Thea*
That sounds really good, I agree with WormwoodDoll, I would love to know your recipe for that. =)
shaunabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

I have been cooked butternut squash and then mashing it up with a little honey. I eat it in the morning as a spread on toasted wheat bread with a lil cinnamon..... Sooo good!
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 147/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
I use the broiler setting alot to do veggies. Zucchini under the broiler is amazing.
Ditto!

Ive been doing this tons lately. I cut up and roasted a head of cabbage on St. Patty's Day and each day the leftovers were great. I brushed the sections with olive oil, a little salt and a lot of pepper. It's really good.. some of the leaves get golden brown and so sweet.

Yellow squash is awesome this way too. I slice the squash in long pieces, length-wise instead of small circles, it's really pretty lol. I usually do squash and zucchini together.

Rachael Ray roasted grape tomatoes for a recipe one time and they looked amazing so I think I'll try that soon.

Another thing I've been wanting to try.. I forget where I read it, but you thin slice an apple, heat a little butter in a skillet and cook the apple slices for a couple of minutes, then sprinkle with cinnamon. It sounds really good and something natural to satisfy my sweet tooth
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 147/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatferretfanatic View Post
I replace whatever I can with veggies, or try to cut the cals some way. Or, even if it doesn't call for it, I still like to put veggies into stuff to get more nutrition in for less cals, and so that I'll be filled up faster. For instance, I make cabbage lasagna, where I boil cabbage leaves and use them as the noodles. I make spaghetti squash spaghtetti with spinach and bell peppers in the sauce. When I make quiche, I fill it with tuna or salmon and load it with veg. cucumber, tomato, carrots, spinach, it's all delicious. If it's burgers, it's a little meat and a lot of veggies and beans, kind of like a veggie burger hybrid. Once in awhile, I make home made pizza-I don't use pepperoni, but I do use chicken sometimes and load it with vegitables galore. Sauce is relatively light if you make your own and don't add a lot of oil. I just try to slip the veg in any way I can to take up more room, and to add more flavor.
Omg, awesome ideas! Thanks!!
Kasey87 is offline   Reply With Quote