Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #1  
Losing Weight As I Work

S/C/G: 235 / tracker / 150

Height: 5'6

Red face Help : Super Bowl Weekend.

My best friend lives in Dallas, which just happens to be where the Super Bowl is taking place.
My team THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS made it to the Super Bowl!!
So, some friends and I are road-tripping down for the week-end to see my friend, party, tailgate, and cheer the Steelers to victory! ( Sorry Pack Fans!)

I just need advice. It is a 12 hours drive, what do you do for food? How do you get your exercise in? At the tailgating, do you give yourself a little break and "Enjoy Yourself." As a legal adult, do I allow myself to have a cold one. haha. (Since I started with all my weightloss I have not drank at all)

I am only 2 months into my journey... I am a little nervous..
Any tricks you use yourself would be much appreciated!
jlee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #2  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

what plan are you on?

i know fast food is bad, but road trips usually equal fast food don't they? wendy's has suggestions for meals of 550 calories or less on their website (like a baked potato and chili), and a small hamburger and fries from mcdonald's comes in under 500 also i believe. You could also easily get a veggie sub at subway or something like that. so you have a lot of options for staying reasonable...

also you could pack a small lunchbox with snacks like celery, carrots, nuts, fruit, hardboiled eggs, to take along.

on the actual day of the superbowl I would probably allow myself a treat day and indulge within reason, but get right back on plan afterwards. for example a treat is... 1 hotdog, not 10. or a handful of chips, not a whole bag. kwim? even when i am not counting calories i try to practice portion control.

i plan to make a healthy pizza and grilled chicken breast with hot wing sauce for my superbowl meal.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/141.5/125

Height: 5'3

Pack some healthy snacks for the road. Maybe a little igloo with some baby carrots and veggies. As far as drinkin goes, I know that champagne is a relatively low adult beverage. Maybe dO that instead of beer.

And ****, your teams in the Super Bowl, that's definitely the time to pop the cork on some bubbly!! Enjoy the excitement. My Saints did it last year and the three day party that followed the game down here in New Orleans was literally some of the best days of my life. Super Bowl party followed by going downtown til 6am. Going to brunch then out to the airport to see the team get off the plane. High-fives with the players and getting to TOUCH THE LOMBARDI! ... then finally crashing and the Victory parade the next day. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

So have fun!!! When it doesn't affect the Saints, I pull the Steelers. Gotta support the other 'black and gold' and I have Big Ben on my Super Bowl fantasy team.
catahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #4  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

I must say I disagree with the drinking and all that, at least for me. You've come so far! Don't let it all go to the waste! One drink won't kill you but 3 or 4 is kinda asking for it!

I recommend packing stuff for the road. Healthy snacks and things of that nature. No need to stop at fast food joints or eat what they do! You can grab a lot of healthy snacks from Target. There are also some really great baked chips/crackers that are 100 cals that Special K makes in sour cream and onion, super yummy!

Have fun and enjoy! Super exciting!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #5  

Take superbowl Sunday as a cheat day. Stick to your calories during the roadtrip, the suggestions for packing snacks and healthy sandwiches are good. But on that day, enjoy yourself and don't worry about counting calories. I take one cheat day a week. The only thing I make sure of is to only order vodka diets as even when I'm not dieting I can't stand wasting calories on liquids. Those are under 100 each, so you can have some drinks and enjoy. I find that I lose 2 lbs a week by eating 1200 calories a day and working out 5 times a week. One day, usually saturday, I have a cheat day and usually go out drinking. I believe it resets my metabolism, as the two times I've skipped cheat days I don't lose any weight that week! The important thing to keep in mind is that it's just one day and you have to jump back on board the next day. And also, by cheat day, I don't mean have an entire box of donuts, be somewhat reasonable on portions, but don't worry - I've found after dieting the foods that sounded good before I'm over after 3 bites as they start to hurt your stomach!
Alisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I live in Dallas and am dreading the Super bowl being held here. Just want to warn ya that the roads are horrible and fully iced over here. Be careful.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I lost 140 pounds drinking often... like once a week during some points... I took days off and I ate way too much but I always got back on the horse and I may have not lost weight some weeks but I never really gained weight and would end up having a larger loss the next week.

This is life, you will have to figure this out for the rest of your life... you will go to tailgates, you will go on trips, eating a little extra here and there doesn't make people fat. It is the consistent bad habits
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243/199.4/190

Height: 5'8"

Haleyun love...what nice perspective you put into the equation! Thank you for that!
wesley587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/199.4/190

Height: 5'8"

err...Haleyislove...lol
wesley587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #10  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Totally agree with Haley - weight loss and healthy living should be for life, so you've got to find a way to make it work. Maybe avoid gas station food and fast food restaurants, and do the best you can without putting too much pressure on yourself.

(And GO PACK GO, just to balance out the thread )
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarwbz View Post
I live in Dallas and am dreading the Super bowl being held here. Just want to warn ya that the roads are horrible and fully iced over here. Be careful.
So glad I don't live there anymore for this! The OU/UT game every year was bad enough.

But for the OP, as others have said, I wouldn't waste calories during the road trip. Be sure to pack plenty of healthy portable snacks. Game day, give yourself a tiny break with a few drinks but make sure you're consuming moderate calories, definitely not over maintenance level.

Good luck and have fun!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote